The Student Room Group

Appropriate choice of courses to do for A Level in order to pursue career in law?

Was wondering whether my planned A Level chosen courses are beneficial to pursue a career in criminal law and would they be respected when applying to a university?

Here are my choices -
A Level Law
A Level Sociology
WJEC Level 3 Criminology, I’m unsure about this one since I’m hearing contradicting statements that this is equivalent to a full A Level while others are saying the opposite and that it is not accepted by Law Universities.
If that is the case, then I’d either substitute or additionally pick History as a fourth A Level to compliment my other options.

I have already applied to a Sixth Form College near me with the 3 options that were listed first, being law, sociology and criminology. However, I’m not worried since I’m positive that I’ll be able to alter my options before enrolment.

I’m looking for more insight whether criminology would be a good option to pick for A Level or if it’d be better if I were to just ditch it and pick a different subject.

Apologies for the incredibly long winded question, thank you ever so much.
Hello! there are different types of WJEC Level 3 qualifications. If you’re doing a WJEC Level 3 Diploma, then this will be equivalent to an A-level. If you’re studying a WJEC Level 3 Certificate, then this will be equivalent to half an A-level.

Don’t worry too much! Most sixth forms allow you to alter your options. I changed my options completely after 3 weeks into my course.

It is worth contacting the admissions team of Universities you want to apply to and see if they accept the WJEC qualification. Most universities are accepting of different types of qualifications now and will mostly look at UCAS points. If you want to go to oxbridge though, A-levels might be your best bet.

Overall I’d say as long as you have an A-level in Law, most universities will accept you as long as you meet the grade requirements and UCAS points requirement.
Don't do WJEC Criminology.
Its a total waste of time. Its a daft 'Diploma' invented by the Welsh exam board and is full of true crime nonsense and has no academic credibility. Increasingly, many top Unis are refusing to accept it. Its is not 'equal to an A level' or 'the same as an A level' or whatever other rubbish your school is peddling. It may get you thes same UCAS points but it does not have anyting like the same academic punch as an A level. And it wont help you get a place for Law - at any Uni.

If you want to do Law, do three A levels.
It doesnt matter what subject they are as there are no required subjects for Law, you just need high grades, so choose subjects you will enjoy and where you feel confident of getting high grades.
Reply 3
Original post by McGinger
Don't do WJEC Criminology.
Its a total waste of time. Its a daft 'Diploma' invented by the Welsh exam board and is full of true crime nonsense and has no academic credibility. Increasingly, many top Unis are refusing to accept it. Its is not 'equal to an A level' or 'the same as an A level' or whatever other rubbish your school is peddling. It may get you thes same UCAS points but it does not have anyting like the same academic punch as an A level. And it wont help you get a place for Law - at any Uni.

If you want to do Law, do three A levels.
It doesnt matter what subject they are as there are no required subjects for Law, you just need high grades, so choose subjects you will enjoy and where you feel confident of getting high grades.

Perfect, thank you ever so much for your response.

That’s cleared it up for me, I’ll let the admissions team know that I’d like to make a switch for History instead.

Again, thank you.
Hi, my sister also wants to do law at uni and she is currently doing English lit, History and gov and politics
She has applied to Cambridge uni and they accepted her choices of levels.

Also, uni do accept law a level but when my sis when to open days they told her the alevel law is accepted but the uni wants to see other interesting subjects
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by samisasam
Hi, my sister also wants to do law at uni and she is currently doing English lit, History and gov and politics
She has applied to Cambridge uni and they accepted her choices of levels.

Also, uni do accept law a level but when my sis when to open days they told her the alevel law is accepted but the uni wants to see other interesting subjects

Thank you, very helpful.

I’ll keep that in mind, I’ll send a few emails around to the universities I’m interested in and see what they’d like to see also.
Original post by PatrickkJ
Thank you, very helpful.

I’ll keep that in mind, I’ll send a few emails around to the universities I’m interested in and see what they’d like to see also.

Basically any 3 A levels will be fine. 2 will need to be from what universities call preferred subjects which isnt the same as the narrow facilitating subject lists that were being pedalled previously. Your choices can be anything from English, Maths, Chemistry, Physics, Biology, Geography, History, Politics, Psychology, Sociology, Law, Economics, Computer Science, Languages, RE and a host of others. The third can be practically anything other than a small group of subjects that are not accepted like Critical Thinking and General Studies,

The WJEC level 3 Criminology is not accepted by universities such as Bristol, Birmingham and UCL amongst others. If you take this these universities will only class you as having 2 A level equivalents.
And btw, Universities do not mind A level Law for LLB Law courses (there are some daft urban myths out there about this) - see : https://filestore.aqa.org.uk/content/news/2014-04-15/AQA-W-A-LEVEL-LAW-SUPPORT.PDF
Original post by swanseajack1
Basically any 3 A levels will be fine. 2 will need to be from what universities call preferred subjects which isnt the same as the narrow facilitating subject lists that were being pedalled previously. Your choices can be anything from English, Maths, Chemistry, Physics, Biology, Geography, History, Politics, Psychology, Sociology, Law, Economics, Computer Science, Languages, RE and a host of others. The third can be practically anything other than a small group of subjects that are not accepted like Critical Thinking and General Studies,

The WJEC level 3 Criminology is not accepted by universities such as Bristol, Birmingham and UCL amongst others. If you take this these universities will only class you as having 2 A level equivalents.

Not always - both Oxford and Cambridge both say they don't care what subjects you do, they just suggest some, although I know some universities like Nottingham and Durham have lists you must choose from - really just depends where you are going
Reply 9
Original post by AmIReallyHere
Not always - both Oxford and Cambridge both say they don't care what subjects you do, they just suggest some, although I know some universities like Nottingham and Durham have lists you must choose from - really just depends where you are going

Hey,
Are you able to provide a link to Durham’s list?.
Thank you ☺️
Here is a link you might find useful. Subject choice wise, you should be on safe ground with Law, Sociology and History at A Level. To be certain, you might like to contact them and ask if they have any preferred or excluded subjects: there is an enquiry button in the link.

https://www.durham.ac.uk/study/courses/m101/

Bear in mind that entry standards at Durham are very high (notionally A*AA) and that you would also need to take the LNAT test (see link).
Reply 11
Original post by Supermature
Here is a link you might find useful. Subject choice wise, you should be on safe ground with Law, Sociology and History at A Level. To be certain, you might like to contact them and ask if they have any preferred or excluded subjects: there is an enquiry button in the link.

https://www.durham.ac.uk/study/courses/m101/

Bear in mind that entry standards at Durham are very high (notionally A*AA) and that you would also need to take the LNAT test (see link).

Massive help, thank you.

Have a great evening.
I think I may have been wrong on the Durham front - can't seem to find it

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending