The Student Room Group

Are my university choices unrealistic for my grades?

Hello guys, firstly i would like to say i apologise for asking the cliché 'am i good enough?!?'question. My intentions aren't to check my eligibility specifically but to rather discuss possibilities and take on advice from people who know way more about this than me.

Important background information; I recently graduated college with a Distinction* / D*D*D* across the board in a BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma in Sport Science & Physical Activity(i believe it calculates around 168 UCAS tariff points or whatever). I had applied for a few universities last year through UCAS but decided that i wasn't ready to make such decision at this time in my life, perhaps regretfully and postponed myself for a gap year to earn some supporting income.

My desiring courses to study would be Psycholgy BSc C800 or Psychology MSci C810 or something or similar relativity such as "Psychology with Behavioural Sciences".

Now i know it is peculiar that a person who started a sports course is looking to study a predominately scientific related study such as psychology, but there is a lot of contextual problems in my personal life that led me to make such a secondary based college study.

I moved out of my hometown and lived away from family in kinship and as a young footballer, i was accepted into a high profile football academy. As i figured my life together i slowly started go realise what i wanted to study, time passes, people change, blah blah blah. I am curious to know whether i should write about this transcending change in my personal statement but im doubtful there is any purpose material that any university will acknowledge.

Regardless, last year i obviously made applications in psychology and a few sport science inclusions and was made offers too. My offers and responses were a bit strange i guess;

University of Nottingham(Sports and Excersise Science): Declined
University of Exeter(Sports and Excersise Science): Declined
University of Portsmouth(Sports and Excersise Psychology): Conditional offer
University of Durham(Psychology and Anthropology): Conditional offer
University of Durham(Behavioural Science): Conditional offer

Surprisingly i was made an offer by Durham on both of my choices, considering the rankings of Durham and how well respected their psychology department is. The offers also came with contextual offers (assuming they mustve seen in my application that my area had a low progression rate to university or that i was in care) which was surprising too.

So undoubtedly, i do NOT have the qualifications to go to a top tier univeristy but i would love to push the boundaries and really throw myself out there given that Durham had recognised something in my application.

These are the universities and courses i almost dream of getting an offer from, i have looked at the entry requirements and contextual requirements but i would love to get some realistic introspective advice from someone who knows the admission system better than myself. Would this be a realistic choice range.

Kings College, London: Psychology BSc
Royal Holloway, London: Psychology MSci
UCL, Psychology: BSc or MSci
Durham, Psychology: BSc

I know most of these are far stretched considerations but i would love to know the boundaries before i even consider wasting a slot getting rejected inevitability lol. The considerations of BTEC even at UCL, Cambridge & Oxford are also seemingly impossible, i previously read a statistic that no BTEC graduate had ever been offered a place in any of the top 3 uk universities.

Thank you for taking the time to read this lmao, i look forward to any input or advice :biggrin:
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 1
I'm surprised at some of your rejections. Did you find the reasons? Do you have the required GCSE grades?
Original post by ajj2000
I'm surprised at some of your rejections. Did you find the reasons? Do you have the required GCSE grades?

thanks for your response, i didnt look into them much but was also surprised considering i had the suitable grades, i can only assume that i had applied far later than most other applicants, i do remember having problems with ucas on the final day of submission, i do vaguely remember reading 'no subject relevance' or 'no relevance material' on one of my declined letters. my gcses were average, lowest was a grade 4 in mathematics, i really had a troubled few years, my gcse grades were not a result of my potential for sure, i did grade a 7 in english and 5s in sciences, hmm
Reply 3
Original post by rainbowpufflez
thanks for your response, i didnt look into them much but was also surprised considering i had the suitable grades, i can only assume that i had applied far later than most other applicants, i do remember having problems with ucas on the final day of submission, i do vaguely remember reading 'no subject relevance' or 'no relevance material' on one of my declined letters. my gcses were average, lowest was a grade 4 in mathematics, i really had a troubled few years, my gcse grades were not a result of my potential for sure, i did grade a 7 in english and 5s in sciences, hmm

As a quick look - Kings does have favoured subjects which might be an issue, but do require grade 6 GCSE maths, ucl also require grade 6 maths.

I think you have not checked requirements carefully enough - possibly your issue on your previous applications. Way easier to resit maths gcse than most of the obstacles people face, but please check which places will pretty much auto-reject you before applying.
Reply 4
Hello guys, firstly i would like to say i apologise for asking the cliché 'am i good enough?!?'question. My intentions aren't to check my eligibility specifically but to rather discuss possibilities and take on advice from people who know way more about this than me.

Important background information; I recently graduated college with a Distinction* / D*D*D* across the board in a BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma in Sport Science & Physical Activity(i believe it calculates around 168 UCAS tariff points or whatever). I had applied for a few universities last year through UCAS but decided that i wasn't ready to make such decision at this time in my life, perhaps regretfully and postponed myself for a gap year to earn some supporting income.

My desiring courses to study would be Psycholgy BSc C800 or Psychology MSci C810 or something or similar relativity such as "Psychology with Behavioural Sciences".

Now i know it is peculiar that a person who started a sports course is looking to study a predominately scientific related study such as psychology, but there is a lot of contextual problems in my personal life that led me to make such a secondary based college study.

I moved out of my hometown and lived away from family in kinship and as a young footballer, i was accepted into a high profile football academy. As i figured my life together i slowly started go realise what i wanted to study, time passes, people change, blah blah blah. I am curious to know whether i should write about this transcending change in my personal statement but im doubtful there is any purpose material that any university will acknowledge.

Regardless, last year i obviously made applications in psychology and a few sport science inclusions and was made offers too. My offers and responses were a bit strange i guess;

Surprisingly i was made an offer by Durham on both of my choices, considering the rankings of Durham and how well respected their psychology department is. The offers also came with contextual offers (assuming they mustve seen in my application that my area had a low progression rate to university or that i was in care) which was surprising too.

So undoubtedly, i do NOT have the qualifications to go to a top tier univeristy but i would love to push the boundaries and really throw myself out there given that Durham had recognised something in my application.

These are the universities and courses i almost dream of getting an offer from, i have looked at the entry requirements and contextual requirements but i would love to get some realistic introspective advice from someone who knows the admission system better than myself. Would this be a realistic choice range.

I know most of these are far stretched considerations but i would love to know the boundaries before i even consider wasting a slot getting rejected inevitability lol. The considerations of BTEC even at UCL, Cambridge & Oxford are also seemingly impossible, i previously read a statistic that no BTEC graduate had ever been offered a place in any of the top 3 uk universities.

Thank you for taking the time to read this lmao, i look forward to any input or advice :biggrin:

I'd include another "safety" option just in case as your situation is definitely unusual and you don't have the classically required background/grades - but definitely try for Durham and KCL (personally, I know UCL can be very nit-picky and particular with applicant's subjects and grades so I'd probably pass on that if I were you - they readily reject people who even surpass their requirements, which from my understanding you don't really).
Reply 5
Original post by louisa03
... but definitely try for Durham and KCL

the problem is OP is likely to be automatically rejected based on maths GCSE grade. This is a way bigger issue than having BTECs and subjects choices at BTEC. Its also way easier to solve (but might mean delaying applying by a year) .

Oxbridge are getting really good at recruiting people with disadvantages in education, but they usually do this through the form of contextual offers and foundation years, instead of accepting BTECs. Universities are ranked by entry standards and having BTEC’s commonly accepted could skew averages and encourage more BTEC applicants, which could essentially derail Oxbridge’s image. This is perhaps a bit far fetched but I say you’ve already achieved something amazing with Durham. Why give it up? Many aspiring Oxonians with stellar grades get rejected and end up their each year. What makes you want more, prestige? education? Other?
Original post by ajj2000
the problem is OP is likely to be automatically rejected based on maths GCSE grade. This is a way bigger issue than having BTECs and subjects choices at BTEC. Its also way easier to solve (but might mean delaying applying by a year) .

i took a preview at the entry requirements page at KCL, interestly enough GCSE requirements were literally out of view on my browser, thank you for the mention. you mentioned the idea of perhaps retaking my maths gcse, but also delaying by a year. do you know anything about the possibility of retaking my gcse mathematics privately? what are the fees and what are the test dates etc, i definitely would consider retaking maths alone, given that it gives me a better opportunity to go to kings, (my preferred choice). but of course theres a familiarity of not even having the relevant course qualifications, i would only be considered individually. Is there any leniency at all to bypassing on students who didnt do well on gcses given that recognise notability from my personal statement or reference etc. im certain theres many others in my shoes seeking a chance at too education but needing a gcse level requirement a few years on lol
Original post by louisa03
I'd include another "safety" option just in case as your situation is definitely unusual and you don't have the classically required background/grades - but definitely try for Durham and KCL (personally, I know UCL can be very nit-picky and particular with applicant's subjects and grades so I'd probably pass on that if I were you - they readily reject people who even surpass their requirements, which from my understanding you don't really).

thank you so much, i really apprecaite the advice, UCL was always a stretch haha, i really do like the idea of KCL since its also in london, but i don't have the relevant maths gcse grade 6 sadly, perhaps i may consider resisting the exam 3 years on LMAO? ithink i will consider a few more safety options on this basis too, do you know of any other universities with similarities in offer to the mentioned, i would love to stay local to London but im open for change, thank you, have a nice evening
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by English_Litty
Oxbridge are getting really good at recruiting people with disadvantages in education, but they usually do this through the form of contextual offers and foundation years, instead of accepting BTECs. Universities are ranked by entry standards and having BTEC’s commonly accepted could skew averages and encourage more BTEC applicants, which could essentially derail Oxbridge’s image. This is perhaps a bit far fetched but I say you’ve already achieved something amazing with Durham. Why give it up? Many aspiring Oxonians with stellar grades get rejected and end up their each year. What makes you want more, prestige? education? Other?

thank you for the input, i do love the concept of Durham but i think its the location that is makes it a really hard decision. Given the basis that i could study below top tier, would you be able to advise any universities similar to Durham or KCL etc, in regards to what it can offer and the rankings too, thank you, have a nice day
thank you for the input, i do love the concept of Durham but i think its the location that is makes it a really hard decision. Given the basis that i could study below top tier, would you be able to advise any universities similar to Durham or KCL etc, in regards to what it can offer and the rankings too, thank you, have a nice day

Depends what career your after, but I’ve always imagined it went like. Oxbridge > Imperial and LSE > UCL > Durham, Warwick and KCL > St Andrews, Bristol, Edinburgh >Nottingham, Bath, Manchester, Exeter, QMUL > SOAS, City, Southampton, Birmingham, Leeds > All other Russel Groups, but either way ensure you have more safety’s and Durham is extremely top top tier. My list is subjective based on courses since they vary between uni’s as for example Durham is ranked higher for English then Oxbridge etc, but the likelihood that you could study ‘below top tier’ as you put it, has been their since GCSES. So don’t be underwhelmed since Oxbridge is very hit and miss even for the most able students and an offer is never guaranteed.

Ik ppl who have rejected Cambridge for Bristol, LSE for KCL, Imperial for Bath and Chemichal Engineering at UCL for a level 3 finance apprenticeship. So don’t place too much emphasis on rankings at all, because it’s very pointless.
(edited 2 years ago)
i took a preview at the entry requirements page at KCL, interestly enough GCSE requirements were literally out of view on my browser, thank you for the mention. you mentioned the idea of perhaps retaking my maths gcse, but also delaying by a year. do you know anything about the possibility of retaking my gcse mathematics privately? what are the fees and what are the test dates etc, i definitely would consider retaking maths alone, given that it gives me a better opportunity to go to kings, (my preferred choice). but of course theres a familiarity of not even having the relevant course qualifications, i would only be considered individually. Is there any leniency at all to bypassing on students who didnt do well on gcses given that recognise notability from my personal statement or reference etc. im certain theres many others in my shoes seeking a chance at too education but needing a gcse level requirement a few years on lol

There are loads of routes to sitting GCSE maths! One would be to borrow the textbooks from a library and get a load of practice. You also have to find an exam centre - best to google this although some people find a local school and pay them to attend as a private candidate.

Universities tend to treat GCSE requirements (unlike A level grades) as a pretty fixed thing. Might be some exceptions but I think that more that ongoing studies show the same level of attainment as opposed to recognising some difficulty the candidate had earlier in life. I wouldnt look at this as a negative (at least so far as GCSE maths is concerned). Its a good way to get up to speed - if you cant get a 6 or above taking the exam as an adult is psychology really the course for you? Might you find some future job also applies a GCSE filter?
You'll be surprised by how flexible universities can get based on your personal statement.
I was far off from the entry requirements in my AS grades (year 12), but a good reference and personal statement got me into unis I didn't think I would get offers from.

I don't hear much about KCL/UCL students from BTEC backgrounds, but that might be to do with my subject degree.
But just wanted to let you know that an interesting personal statement and reference gets you pretty far than you would think!
Original post by Athy_Obelia
You'll be surprised by how flexible universities can get based on your personal statement.
I was far off from the entry requirements in my AS grades (year 12), but a good reference and personal statement got me into unis I didn't think I would get offers from.

I don't hear much about KCL/UCL students from BTEC backgrounds, but that might be to do with my subject degree.
But just wanted to let you know that an interesting personal statement and reference gets you pretty far than you would think!

Thank you for the words, i definitively will apply for KCL as my long shot, you only live once right? i may just push the boundaries and perhaps as you mentioned my personal statement may be rather catching on their end. I will call their admissions tomorrow and ask about it in more detail, i understand most universities have a negatively talked about admissions contact team, im hoping they will be understanding. The only obvious issue is the GCSE maths grade 6 requirements, i really didn't do as well on my gcse maths as my English or science, i have a very strong feeling that they will not make exceptions :/
Original post by ajj2000
There are loads of routes to sitting GCSE maths! One would be to borrow the textbooks from a library and get a load of practice. You also have to find an exam centre - best to google this although some people find a local school and pay them to attend as a private candidate.

Universities tend to treat GCSE requirements (unlike A level grades) as a pretty fixed thing. Might be some exceptions but I think that more that ongoing studies show the same level of attainment as opposed to recognising some difficulty the candidate had earlier in life. I wouldnt look at this as a negative (at least so far as GCSE maths is concerned). Its a good way to get up to speed - if you cant get a 6 or above taking the exam as an adult is psychology really the course for you? Might you find some future job also applies a GCSE filter?

i definitely like the idea of resetting gcse maths, my gcses were horrendous compared to my academic capacity for sure, my school selected me as a representative to present at cambridge and oxford a few times. The week before my GCSEs i broke both of my arms in an accident, i have a medical record to prove this, i was allocated a scribe but this REALLY affected my critical thinking, the scribe wrote way slower and was very intimidating, constantly scaring me down ahah, im not using this as an excuse for bad grades but it certainly affected them. For my last two exams (English Lit and IT) i broke my casts off and wrote myself in the exan hall with a broken wrist, in these exams i achieved straight 7s lol. perhaps with this contextual information they may offer me a conditional offer given that i resit maths and pass with a grade 6. This will be no problem for me, i was always achieving high in maths in the curriculum days. However. i do disagree with your point about considering that not having a relative grade is an uncertainty to studying another course, i don't believe theres many relative similarities between the practice of math and studying psychology, regardless, i really apprecaite your words and i will call the admissions team and find out whether i should take a resit of maths gcse, thanks
i definitely like the idea of resetting gcse maths, my gcses were horrendous compared to my academic capacity for sure, my school selected me as a representative to present at cambridge and oxford a few times. The week before my GCSEs i broke both of my arms in an accident, i have a medical record to prove this, i was allocated a scribe but this REALLY affected my critical thinking, the scribe wrote way slower and was very intimidating, constantly scaring me down ahah, im not using this as an excuse for bad grades but it certainly affected them. For my last two exams (English Lit and IT) i broke my casts off and wrote myself in the exan hall with a broken wrist, in these exams i achieved straight 7s lol. perhaps with this contextual information they may offer me a conditional offer given that i resit maths and pass with a grade 6. This will be no problem for me, i was always achieving high in maths in the curriculum days. However. i do disagree with your point about considering that not having a relative grade is an uncertainty to studying another course, i don't believe theres many relative similarities between the practice of math and studying psychology, regardless, i really apprecaite your words and i will call the admissions team and find out whether i should take a resit of maths gcse, thanks

Would suggest you check psychology course content - there is a reason they ask for specific grades at GCSE and stronger universities require a maths or science A level. Lots of statistics in most psychology courses.
Original post by ajj2000
Would suggest you check psychology course content - there is a reason they ask for specific grades at GCSE and stronger universities require a maths or science A level. Lots of statistics in most psychology courses.

i understand the concept for sure, i know in the experimental phenomena there is a use of maths within statistical recording. regardless the courses im reading into at Durham and RHUL do not have heavy mention in a mathematical background. Regardless, i had always thought the model of gcse requirements was a basis to keep acceptance rates low and a strong record of high performing students. I am really interested in doing a PhD in Psychology, especially if i do a undergraduate masters, it will be more beneficial to go onto a research based career, as have a strong passion in the field of research. However, do post graduate admissions also consider GCSEs in consideration? i would only assume that it would be silly to ask for an key stage 4 exam result after an applicant has proven themselves at a level of higher education. Given that i can obtain a first class degree score, i will strongly consider an oxbridge postgraduate programme me for sure, thanks
i understand the concept for sure, i know in the experimental phenomena there is a use of maths within statistical recording. regardless the courses im reading into at Durham and RHUL do not have heavy mention in a mathematical background. Regardless, i had always thought the model of gcse requirements was a basis to keep acceptance rates low and a strong record of high performing students. I am really interested in doing a PhD in Psychology, especially if i do a undergraduate masters, it will be more beneficial to go onto a research based career, as have a strong passion in the field of research. However, do post graduate admissions also consider GCSEs in consideration? i would only assume that it would be silly to ask for an key stage 4 exam result after an applicant has proven themselves at a level of higher education. Given that i can obtain a first class degree score, i will strongly consider an oxbridge postgraduate programme me for sure, thanks

Postgrad research based phd programmes rarely if ever look at qualifications prior to university courses. The DClinPsy courses may differ from this, as might grad schemes.

Quick Reply

Latest