The Student Room Group

Is it worth applying to AAA or A*AA courses with AAB predicted grades?

I’m currently in year 13 and I would like to study economics. I’ve been predicted AAB, with an A in maths, an A in biology and a B in chemistry (I’m also doing an EPQ). Is it worth applying to unis such as Leeds, UCL or LSE that require AAA or even A*AA? I am aware that economics is an incredibly competitive subject and I don’t want to waste an application.

Thank you.
(edited 2 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

I would suggest talking to your chemistry teacher about predicting you one grade higher for the sake of UCAS. AAA will open way more opportunities.
If your teacher refuses, ask to sit tests/prove yourself in some way to be predicted one grade up.

Best of luck!
Original post by Sabaa98
I’m currently in year 13 and I would like to study economics. I’ve been predicted AAB, with an A in maths, an A in biology and a B in chemistry (I’m also doing an EPQ). Is it worth applying to unis such as Leeds, UCL or LSE that require AAA or even A*AA? I am aware that economics is an incredibly competitive subject and I don’t want to waste an application.

Thank you.

yeah no, try convincing your teacher to increase it to an A, economics is hella competitive, zero chance they will consider your application if you do not have the required predicted grades, unless you're from a disadvantaged background, like LSE has something like 12 applicants per place and the vast majority have better pred grades than A*AA, especially that the unis know that pred grades are on the optimistic side
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by dmears55
yeah no, try convincing your teacher to increase it to an A, economics is hella competitive, zero chance they will consider your application if you do not have the required predicted grades, unless you're from a disadvantaged background, like LSE has something like 12 applicants per place and the vast majority have better pred grades than A*AA, especially that the unis know that pred grades are on the optimistic side

That's funny, because I got 5/5 offers when I applied for B.Sc Economics at Bath, Birmingham, Nottingham, York, and Exeter with A*AB. My B prediction was in Maths, as well - where Nottingham, Bath, and Birmingham require a A (and Exeter A*AA with a B in Maths).

Economics is extremely competitive at Bath, as well.

Oh, and I went to a grammar school, not a first generation university student, and don't live in an area of low progression.

Respectfully, you don't know what you're talking about. Predicted grades form a part of the application, but it's not the only factor. A strong personal statement and a strong reference are important in landing offers.

OP, you really don't need to worry. You have an excellent chance of applying to AAA places. Just be a bit cautious of A*AA places.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by dmears55

This is wrong. Don't talk in absolutes when you have no idea what you're talking about.
Reply 5
Original post by Cuworldax
I would suggest talking to your chemistry teacher about predicting you one grade higher for the sake of UCAS. AAA will open way more opportunities.
If your teacher refuses, ask to sit tests/prove yourself in some way to be predicted one grade up.

Best of luck!

Yh, I have a chem test coming up so I think I’ll be able to get my grade moved up if I do well.
Thanks!
Original post by Sabaa98

Thank you.

AAB to AAA is worth a try just make sure a couple of your choices are at or below your grades. I would give LSE a miss. Economics is their flagship course. It is many times over subscribed and they want Further Maths. You lose nothing by applying to the other 2. They might or might not make you an offer.
Reply 7
Original post by econhelp525
That's funny, because I got 5/5 offers when I applied for B.Sc Economics at Bath, Birmingham, Nottingham, York, and Exeter with A*AB. My B prediction was in Maths, as well - where Nottingham, Bath, and Birmingham require a A (and Exeter A*AA with a B in Maths).

Oh, and I went to a grammar school, not a first generation university student, and don't live in an area of low progression.

Respectfully, you don't know what you're talking about. Predicted grades form a part of the application, but it's not the only factor. A strong personal statement and a strong reference are important in landing offers.

OP, you really don't need to worry. You have an excellent chance of applying to AAA places. Just be a bit cautious of A*AA places.

Yh, I’m aware that the grades aren’t the only part, I was just slightly worried because I know economics is very competitive and I felt I was at a disadvantage because there are others with much higher grades. However, I know I’ll be able to write a strong personal statement so I should be ok in that area.
Thank you so much!
Original post by Sabaa98
Yh, I’m aware that the grades aren’t the only part, I was just slightly worried because I know economics is very competitive and I felt I was at a disadvantage because there are others with much higher grades. However, I know I’ll be able to write a strong personal statement so I should be ok in that area.
Thank you so much!

@swanseajack1 beat me to the point that LSE would be a waste.

Otherwise, remember that the aim isn't to get 5 offers. It's to get 2+ from unis that you like.
Definitely depends on the uni. For LSE even if you had A*AA without FM you would be much less competitive. Without an A* in maths and without meeting the standard criteria there is really no point applying there, imo - I think you would be immediately screened out at first pass.

For UCL again the lack of FM and not meeting the standard requirements could be an issue if you don't meet contextual criteria. I think it's more likely than not that you would not get an offer but i think they might consider you at least.

For Leeds I think you have a reaonsable chance of being considered, although the offer will most likely be the standard offer.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 10

Sorry, I didn’t realise you were replying to the other guy, but thank you anyways :smile:
Reply 11
Original post by artful_lounger
Definitely depends on the uni. For LSE even if you had A*AA without FM you would be much less competitive. Without an A* in maths and without meeting the standard criteria there is really no point applying there, imo - I think you would be immediately screened out at first pass.

For UCL again the lack of FM and not meeting the standard requirements could be an issue if you don't meet contextual criteria. I think it's more likely than not that you would not get an offer but i think they might consider you at least.

For Leeds I think you have a reaonsable chance of being considered, although the offer will most likely be the standard offer.

Yh, I think I'll ditch LSE now. For UCL though, I don't think further maths is needed but I'll still be cautious applying there.
Thank you!
Original post by Sabaa98
Sorry, I didn’t realise you were replying to the other guy, but thank you anyways :smile:

No worries! But yeah, to echo everyone else:

UCL and LSE you might want to not apply to. Economics there is extremely competitive, and so entry requirements are rigid.

But, going back to what you said, definitely don't worry about people applying with higher grades than you. For York and Exeter, I'm fairly sure people had similar predicted grades with applications, Birmingham too, probably.

But for Nottingham and Bath, there were people with like 3A*, however many A*s at GCSE, whatever, and I still managed to bag offers from both of those places. Don't be intimidated by other people, just ensure that you make yourself as competitive as you can be from your personal statement and reference.
Reply 13
No worries! But yeah, to echo everyone else:

UCL and LSE you might want to not apply to. Economics there is extremely competitive, and so entry requirements are rigid.

But, going back to what you said, definitely don't worry about people applying with higher grades than you. For York and Exeter, I'm fairly sure people had similar predicted grades with applications, Birmingham too, probably.

But for Nottingham and Bath, there were people with like 3A*, however many A*s at GCSE, whatever, and I still managed to bag offers from both of those places. Don't be intimidated by other people, just ensure that you make yourself as competitive as you can be from your personal statement and reference.

This made me feel better. I’ll defo keep this in mind. Thank you again!
Original post by Sabaa98

Thank you.

Yeah I would say to apply to Leeds but being straight up, I wouldn’t recommend applying to UCL or LSE because it’ll most likely be a rejection since UCL requires an A* in maths and LSE requires further maths

I mean you are not really going against what I was saying, the headline grade requirement yeah doesn't mean much, especially in the aforementioned university, taking exeter as an example Ik loads of people who missed out on the grades and still got in, simply because they're not exactly greatly oversubscribed, but the OP was speaking about LSE and UCL, and there it's a waste of time if you don';t have the grades
(edited 2 years ago)
Im also predicted a*ab and was thinking of applying go Exeter and bath. What were the offers they made you in terms of grace requirements?
Original post by Nadirberrachedi
Im also predicted a*ab and was thinking of applying go Exeter and bath. What were the offers they made you in terms of grace requirements?

That's what I was predicted and I got offers from both Exeter and Bath. Exeter will almost certainly make you an offer.
Original post by Sabaa98

Thank you.

Yes do it. I know idiots that applied to Exeter on ABB for econ with the excuse of extra-curricular theatre work and got in (believe you need A*AA normally..)

PLAY THE SYSTEM
Original post by miniminx3310
Yes do it. I know idiots that applied to Exeter on ABB for econ with the excuse of extra-curricular theatre work and got in (believe you need A*AA normally..)

PLAY THE SYSTEM

Did they get offers of ABB?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending