The Student Room Group

I did not to do EPQ

I felt too drained to do it, A-levels sucked the life out of me. Will this effect my uni application? I'm applying next year Idk where but considering Oxford and Bath for chemistry

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
No haha no uni requires epq let alone oxford that probably don't even consider it
Original post by Cs115
No haha no uni requires epq let alone oxford that probably don't even consider it

I know they don't look at EPQ as a requirement but everyone seems to be doing it or already had done it in year 12
Bath gives lower A level offers with an A grade in EPQ for most courses - but its main entry requirements are always stated as just 3 A level grades. They don't mind which you apply with and no preference is given to those with an EPQ.

Bristol, in contrast, only considers EPQ for a handful of courses - but again, EPQ is not preferred and those with 3 good A level grades are just as likely to get an offer.

If doing an EPQ is going to compromise your A level grades - then don't do it.
You dont need it to get an offer.
Original post by McGinger
Bath gives lower A level offers with an A grade in EPQ for most courses - but its main entry requirements are always stated as just 3 A level grades. They don't mind which you apply with and no preference is given to those with an EPQ.

Bristol, in contrast, only considers EPQ for a handful of courses - but again, EPQ is not preferred and those with 3 good A level grades are just as likely to get an offer.

If doing an EPQ is going to compromise your A level grades - then don't do it.
You dont need it to get an offer.

What about Oxford? I'm predicted 4A*s but I feel like I'm going to mess up one of my subjects (not that relevant to chem) what happens then?
Original post by summerbirdreads
What about Oxford? I'm predicted 4A*s but I feel like I'm going to mess up one of my subjects (not that relevant to chem) what happens then?

Drop a subject now. No Uni wants more than 3 A levels and you dont get any extra credit for doing more.
Remember that AAA will always look better than ABBB - and that could cost you a Uni place.
Original post by McGinger
Drop a subject now. No Uni wants more than 3 A levels and you dont get any extra credit for doing more.
Remember that AAA will always look better than ABBB - and that could cost you a Uni place.

They are not allowing me to since we are this far into year 13 and I did well in my mocks for that subject and my predicted grade in A* for it but I hate that subject so much. I'm in quarantine now and missed school for the past week and have been trying to catch up but that subject is draining me, I hate it so much but my school refuses to let me drop it

Oxford does not care about the EPQ. Sure, it’s a good way to demonstrate your interest in a particular subject, but there are many other ways of doing that. Not doing an EPQ does not put you at a disadvantage by any means. The only place one can talk about their EPQ is on the PS, and Oxford does not care much about the PS anyways, especially for STEM degrees. Oxford also does not give lower offers just because one is doing an EPQ. If you get an offer, it will be A* A* A. You’re doing 4 A levels, as long as you get A* A* A in relevant subjects you’re fine.
They are not allowing me to since we are this far into year 13 and I did well in my mocks for that subject and my predicted grade in A* for it but I hate that subject so much. I'm in quarantine now and missed school for the past week and have been trying to catch up but that subject is draining me, I hate it so much but my school refuses to let me drop it

That's crazy - they can't MAKE you do it - get your parents involved - you'll need to update your application as well.
Original post by Muttley79
That's crazy - they can't MAKE you do it - get your parents involved - you'll need to update your application as well.

no point, my parents wants me to do that subject
Original post by Anonymous(
Oxford does not care about the EPQ. Sure, it’s a good way to demonstrate your interest in a particular subject, but there are many other ways of doing that. Not doing an EPQ does not put you at a disadvantage by any means. The only place one can talk about their EPQ is on the PS, and Oxford does not care much about the PS anyways, especially for STEM degrees. Oxford also does not give lower offers just because one is doing an EPQ. If you get an offer, it will be A* A* A. You’re doing 4 A levels, as long as you get A* A* A in relevant subjects you’re fine.

Thank you!!
no point, my parents wants me to do that subject

Who is sitting these exams? I'm a teacher and no-one can make you ...
Who is sitting these exams? I'm a teacher and no-one can make you ...

But my school's really insisting I do physics and I can't seem to do anything about it, my teacher says it's pointless to drop physics now
But my school's really insisting I do physics and I can't seem to do anything about it, my teacher says it's pointless to drop physics now

Of course it isn't ... look, YOU are sitting these A levels - do you need Physics?
Of course it isn't ... look, YOU are sitting these A levels - do you need Physics?

No I don't, Chemistry, Maths and Further Maths works well for me and Oxford only requires A*A*A but my teachers don't get it. Will doing bad in the next mocks get them to reconsider?
(edited 2 years ago)
I felt too drained to do it, A-levels sucked the life out of me. Will this effect my uni application? I'm applying next year Idk where but considering Oxford and Bath for chemistry

If you want something to write in your personal statement, doesn't have to be EPQ. Could do some free online courses or work exp. if you want something extra. By the sounds of it, your grades will take u anywhere regardless.
No I don't, Chemistry, Maths and Further Maths works well for me and Oxford only requires A*A*A but my teachers don't get it. Will doing bad in the next mocks get them to reconsider?

You will need to update your UCAS application .. why put additional pressure on yourself? Is this a private school?
You will need to update your UCAS application .. why put additional pressure on yourself? Is this a private school?

Oh I'm taking a gap year due to medical condition so I will only be applying next year, they did pressure me to apply for deferred entry 2023 this year but I couldn't finish my PS in time. No grammar school. I don't want to put pressure on myself, I'd drop physics right now if I could.
Oh I'm taking a gap year due to medical condition so I will only be applying next year, they did pressure me to apply for deferred entry 2023 this year but I couldn't finish my PS in time. No grammar school. I don't want to put pressure on myself, I'd drop physics right now if I could.

You can drop Physics if you so wish. Tell your teachers you arent doing it and get your universities agreement as you cannot drop a subject once it is on your application as you are changing the contract. Stop being a coward. Stand up to your teachers and parents. It is your life being ruined.

It isnt unusual for grammar or private schools to try this on as they have more interests in themselves than their pupils. The higher the points you get the better it reflects on them
(edited 2 years ago)

I work in a selective school and students are allowed to drop.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending