The Student Room Group

Drop english lit or maths a level?!!?

I’m a month in to talking geography, psychology, English and maths… I need to drop English/maths asap because they’re my least favourites, I prefer English so far and am torn because I’m thinking of environmental sciences at uni!! Obviously maths would help but I’m strong in it and could take the modules at uni to get to speed, I just am hanging onto English cos I never wanted to do three sciences!! also doing EPq but am massively behind so I beg for advice…

Scroll to see replies

English, always go with what you enjoy more :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by TheSuckUpStudent
English, always go with what you enjoy more :smile:

Thanks for reply… that’s the thing I enjoy them equally!! I think I’m naturally better at maths but just find the content more engaging, as long as a level doesn’t hurt my love for reading… what exam board did you do? The first two texts for me (streetcar & TCP) are very dark and cubic graphs are a lot simpler to analyse… I’m a massive overthinker and procrastinator, and want to work w the environment!!
Reply 3
Original post by e1eanor
I’m a month in to talking geography, psychology, English and maths… I need to drop English/maths asap because they’re my least favourites, I prefer English so far and am torn because I’m thinking of environmental sciences at uni!! Obviously maths would help but I’m strong in it and could take the modules at uni to get to speed, I just am hanging onto English cos I never wanted to do three sciences!! also doing EPq but am massively behind so I beg for advice…

Personally, its an easy decision. When it comes to unis/courses, if thats what you plan on, you'll find that Maths is immensely useful for almost all subjects except performing arts etc. It's very useful so I'd recommend Maths. Up to you though
Reply 4
Original post by santi04
Personally, its an easy decision. When it comes to unis/courses, if thats what you plan on, you'll find that Maths is immensely useful for almost all subjects except performing arts etc. It's very useful so I'd recommend Maths. Up to you though

thank you, assuming ur doing maths? I totally get how useful it could be, just worried I’ll change uni course idea and despise maths because I know how hard it will get.. I know I’m choosing between the two best, but I rlly love reading and know it works so well w psych too..
Reply 5
Original post by e1eanor
thank you, assuming ur doing maths? I totally get how useful it could be, just worried I’ll change uni course idea and despise maths because I know how hard it will get.. I know I’m choosing between the two best, but I rlly love reading and know it works so well w psych too..

I'm currently in year 13 doing Maths. Jump from GCSE wasn't too big of a deal I would say, but depends how you did at GCSE. If you got a 7 or more at GCSE then you'll be fine. I am only talking purely for maximising opportunities for Uni rather than what you want to do at A level. If you look at any entry requirements, even for top 10 Unis, you dont even need geography or psychology to do it at Uni. Maths, however will always help you in any subject and can even get you lower entry requirements. English is useful too as you do need it if you want to study english at uni. So its tricky as your choosing between your two most valuable subjects. Ideally, you'd drop Geog or Psych but its up to you. I just thought id let you know as I'm in year 13 working on my Uni applications rn.
Reply 6
Original post by e1eanor

the paragraph i wrote above was if i assume you have no idea what you want to do at uni yet. End of the day do what you love the most and drop maths if you think its best. Sounds like you prefer english though so maybe drop maths but i just thought id mention that its quite valuable for applications
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by e1eanor
Thanks for reply… that’s the thing I enjoy them equally!! I think I’m naturally better at maths but just find the content more engaging, as long as a level doesn’t hurt my love for reading… what exam board did you do? The first two texts for me (streetcar & TCP) are very dark and cubic graphs are a lot simpler to analyse… I’m a massive overthinker and procrastinator, and want to work w the environment!!

ohhh if you enjoy them equally then I completely understand your dilemma! I do edexcel English and I find the texts so engaging… just really hate exams and essays can be very stressful, so that’s something to consider :smile: I think it’s a very complex subject because there are soooo many interpretations… to be fair I do get jealous of my maths friends because they always have a right answer and English can be so subjective! I do streetcar as well and it’s my favourite text that I’ve studied :biggrin:
Reply 8
Original post by TheSuckUpStudent
ohhh if you enjoy them equally then I completely understand your dilemma! I do edexcel English and I find the texts so engaging… just really hate exams and essays can be very stressful, so that’s something to consider :smile: I think it’s a very complex subject because there are soooo many interpretations… to be fair I do get jealous of my maths friends because they always have a right answer and English can be so subjective! I do streetcar as well and it’s my favourite text that I’ve studied :biggrin:

I totally agree with all those points which is why I’m so conflicted!! Considered dropping psych but I’ve found it great so far.. I literally have to decide today for a few reasons and have talked to everybody, don’t want to keep 4 and am completely split down the middle!!! It’s horrible, but yeah thank you you’re totally right
Reply 9
Hi! I’m doing geography psychology and sociology and I’m also thinking of doing environmental science at uni so just do what you will do best at!!
Reply 10
Original post by Ajeni
Hi! I’m doing geography psychology and sociology and I’m also thinking of doing environmental science at uni so just do what you will do best at!!

Oh that’s cool obvs not spoken to anyone yet w the same degree idea any clue where u want to go? I reallyyy wish I knew they’re both so different and hard in their own ways. I have to choose today really and I just do not know.. I’m buried in work haven’t even started epq😫 but thankyou that gives me hope
Original post by e1eanor

drop maths, english compliments the other a level subjects ur doing
Reply 12
Original post by Bernsdette
drop maths, english compliments the other a level subjects ur doing

thank you, yeah I’ve already found psych links and context of texts=geog… it’s just maths works w sciences for doing an environmental degree. you’re right and I am so torn as I love English
Original post by e1eanor
thank you, yeah I’ve already found psych links and context of texts=geog… it’s just maths works w sciences for doing an environmental degree. you’re right and I am so torn as I love English

true i would say if you're good at maths then that's the only reason why you should decide to choose it 3 of my friends who go 7 and 8s for gcse maths dropped it last week because its just difficult
Reply 14
true i would say if you're good at maths then that's the only reason why you should decide to choose it 3 of my friends who go 7 and 8s for gcse maths dropped it last week because its just difficult

are you year 13 or 12? I really should choose tomorrow due to buying the calculator and knowing what to catch up on.. beyond stressed idk😩
Original post by e1eanor
are you year 13 or 12? I really should choose tomorrow due to buying the calculator and knowing what to catch up on.. beyond stressed idk😩

im year 12! it's okay i have a friend in a similar situation as you she wants to drop either english or computer science and she wants to do computer science in uni or med
Original post by e1eanor

for sure drop english if you want to go into environmental sciences because you're already doing essay-based subjects. mathematics is extremely useful for any sort of science :smile:
im year 12! it's okay i have a friend in a similar situation as you she wants to drop either english or computer science and she wants to do computer science in uni or med

HELP its me... hi... and no i don't wanna do medicine at all tbh i either want to do biology or computer science as a degree, or even a dual honours. i think i want to drop english and replace it with computer science, ideally i'd be doing both but i can't because of timetable clashes.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by mitskienjoyer
HELP its me... hi... and no i don't wanna do medicine at all tbh i either want to do biology or computer science as a degree, or even a dual honours. i think i want to drop english and replace it with computer science, ideally i'd be doing both but i can't because of timetable clashes.

drop english then you won't need it if you're aiming to do one of those 2 subjects for uni if you're worried about not doing essay related subjects then read books in your spare time that's literally what we do in class read and analysis computer science has a lot of analysing code and stuff; you can always keep a journal to try and write poems or random essay entries
Reply 19
Original post by mitskienjoyer
for sure drop english if you want to go into environmental sciences because you're already doing essay-based subjects. mathematics is extremely useful for any sort of science :smile:

yeah thanks I would be fine without it as doing two other sciences and doing an epq related to it (if I ever start…) it’s just I’m scared I’m going to be so sick of science and I’ll completely wish to do something different! I know it’ll help for uni but I hate how I’ve ruled out art and biology and poss English all cos England makes me choose 3… I’m so stressed should’ve done IB

Quick Reply

Latest