The Student Room Group

Question about Islam

Hi there, I'm a Christian who's recently been reading into Islam (well for the last year or so). I saw a thread here a few weeks ago where a muslim girl talked about practicing certain Christian practices whilst still being muslim and I wanted to ask a slightly different question based off what she asked.

Would it be possible for one to be Muslim and believe that Jesus is the son of God without believing that Jesus is God.

My reasoning for this question? In the Christian Bible (as far as I know, I may be wrong) but Jesus never says he is God and I am pretty sure he says we shouldn't worship him. With that being said, when he gets baptised by John the Baptist, God says, "This is my son of whom I am proud of" + the context of Jesus' miraculous birth which is why I believe him to be the son of God but not actually God.

Would this still clash with Islam? Could one potentially follow the faith whilst still believing this or would it be classed as shirk?

Thanks for reading

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
Hi there, I'm a Christian who's recently been reading into Islam (well for the last year or so). I saw a thread here a few weeks ago where a muslim girl talked about practicing certain Christian practices whilst still being muslim and I wanted to ask a slightly different question based off what she asked.

Would it be possible for one to be Muslim and believe that Jesus is the son of God without believing that Jesus is God.

My reasoning for this question? In the Christian Bible (as far as I know, I may be wrong) but Jesus never says he is God and I am pretty sure he says we shouldn't worship him. With that being said, when he gets baptised by John the Baptist, God says, "This is my son of whom I am proud of" + the context of Jesus' miraculous birth which is why I believe him to be the son of God but not actually God.

Would this still clash with Islam? Could one potentially follow the faith whilst still believing this or would it be classed as shirk?

Thanks for reading

Associating any partners with God is not allowed in Islam. God has no sons, daughter, or parents. If you believe God has a son then you have come out the fold of Islam
Reply 2
Jesus' birth was miraculous, he was born of a virgin. In such circumstances, I'd find it hard to believe there is no divinity associated with him in Islam, could you maybe explain me why that is?

Original post by lowkey_s26
Associating any partners with God is not allowed in Islam. God has no sons, daughter, or parents. If you believe God has a son then you have come out the fold of Islam
Reply 3

Thanks for reading

Hi!
Unfortunately, that would not be possible. In the Quran, a verse from Surat Al-Ikhlas is 'He neither begets nor is born,' which in simple English is 'He has never had offspring, nor was He born.' so it would be contradictory to believe that Jesus is the Son of God. While I do see where you're coming from, it is a fundamental belief in Islam that God shouldn't be associated with anyone else.
May I ask what sources you're using to read into Islam, as I wouldn't recommend looking online as a lotttt of the information is either completely false or very inaccurate. Your sole source of information should be the Quran, you will find all the answers there, there are translations available here https://quran.com/ or in your local mosque, you can also ask the people there for help on Islam. Feel free to pm if you have any questions! Hope this helps :smile:

Thanks for reading

'He neither begets nor is born' 112:3. You wouldn't be truly Muslim if you believed Jesus is the son of God, since this verse cannot be interpreted in any other way.
Reply 5
Original post by glabib
Hi!
Unfortunately, that would not be possible. In the Quran, a verse from Surat Al-Ikhlas is 'He neither begets nor is born,' which in simple English is 'He has never had offspring, nor was He born.' so it would be contradictory to believe that Jesus is the Son of God. While I do see where you're coming from, it is a fundamental belief in Islam that God shouldn't be associated with anyone else.
May I ask what sources you're using to read into Islam, as I wouldn't recommend looking online as a lotttt of the information is either completely false or very inaccurate. Your sole source of information should be the Quran, you will find all the answers there, there are translations available here https://quran.com/ or in your local mosque, you can also ask the people there for help on Islam. Feel free to pm if you have any questions! Hope this helps :smile:

Hi! thank you so much for taking the time out to respond, I'll probably pm you a couple of questions as I have many lol but I don't want to over burden you. As for where I get my information, some I got online, but other parts I got from reading books kind of explaining Islam, watching videos of sheikhs (or imans) talking as well as reading the Quran. (I did history GCSE so I know the importance of looking at a variety of different sources 😂) Thanks again
No- not if you believe that Christ is the father's "only-begotten son".
Nor if you accept the trinity with doubts as to the co-equal or co-eternal elements.

The islamic statement of faith requires a belief in the one & only god and acceptance of islam's final prophet as the last messenger.
The six articles of faith include five extra criteria: belief in angels, belief in the books of religious scripture, belief in the prophets (including abraham/adam/christ/elijah/king david/jacob/john the baptist/moses/noah/solomon/zechariah), belief in predestination and belief in the day of judgement.
Reply 7
Original post by londonmyst
No- not if you believe that Christ is the father's "only-begotten son".
Nor if you accept the trinity with doubts as to the co-equal or co-eternal elements.

The islamic statement of faith requires a belief in the one & only god and acceptance of islam's final prophet as the last messenger.
The six articles of faith include five extra criteria: belief in angels, belief in the books of religious scripture, belief in the prophets (including abraham/adam/christ/elijah/king david/jacob/john the baptist/moses/noah/solomon/zechariah), belief in predestination and belief in the day of judgement.

The thing is, I don't believe in the trinity (that God is in 3 forms) as that feels like polytheism to me. I also mostly agree with the 6 articles although I will have to look into them in more depth. With that being said, why is Jesus despite his birth seen as non divine?
The thing is, I don't believe in the trinity (that God is in 3 forms) as that feels like polytheism to me. I also mostly agree with the 6 articles although I will have to look into them in more depth. With that being said, why is Jesus despite his birth seen as non divine?

Because you can't be divine and be human...
See Qur'an 5:75 -
They have certainly disbelieved who say, " Allah is the Messiah, the son of Mary" while the Messiah has said, "O Children of Israel, worship Allah , my Lord and your Lord." Indeed, he who associates others with Allah - Allah has forbidden him Paradise, and his refuge is the Fire. And there are not for the wrongdoers any helpers.

Islam teaches that Christ was the penultimate prophet and messiah but not literal son of God or God incarnate.
Islamic theology is very strict in the portrayal of a monotheistic God with no partners, spouse, son or daughters.
Original post by glabib
Hi!

Hi! thank you so much for taking the time out to respond, I'll probably pm you a couple of questions as I have many lol but I don't want to over burden you. As for where I get my information, some I got online, but other parts I got from reading books kind of explaining Islam, watching videos olectures on youtube as well as reading the Quran. (I did history GCSE so I know the importance of looking at a variety of different sources lol) Thanks again!
Jesus' birth was miraculous, he was born of a virgin. In such circumstances, I'd find it hard to believe there is no divinity associated with him in Islam, could you maybe explain me why that is?

Prophet Adam was born without any parents… does that make him divine?
Original post by londonmyst
Islam teaches that Christ was the penultimate prophet and messiah but not literal son of God or God incarnate.
Islamic theology is very strict in the portrayal of a monotheistic God with no partners, spouse, son or daughters.

Wait so Christ is the Messiah in Islam too? do you mind telling me the scripture where the coming of the messiah is predicted in the Quran or other places I can read into Jesus from the Islamic perspective? As far as I was concerned I thought that Islam only acknowledged Jesus as a prophet but not as the messiah? Does that mean you also believe in the second coming of the Messiah or no?
Prophet Adam was born without any parents… does that make him divine?

But he was not born of a virgin?
But he was not born of a virgin?

How can a human who sleeps, eats, poos etc. be divine?? It’s an offence to God

Thanks for reading

Our beloved prophet Jesus leave be upon him was no doubt one of the greatest men to walk this earth
But he was a mere mortal in the eyes of Islam

If God was not one without partners and took the form of their creation how could they be God at the same time ?

I think there are Christian denominations who believe in Jesus as the son of God though, if I am not mistaken ?
How can a human who sleeps, eats, poos etc. be divine?? It’s an offence to God

Earlier, I quoted a scripture from the bible in which God refers to Jesus as his Son when he was baptised by John. With that being said, I am open to reading more about how Jesus is seen in Islam. Thank you for taking the time out to reply though, God bless you (:
Original post by WazzWazz98
Our beloved prophet Jesus leave be upon him was no doubt one of the greatest men to walk this earth
But he was a mere mortal in the eyes of Islam

If God was not one without partners and took the form of their creation how could they be God at the same time ?

I think there are Christian denominations who believe in Jesus as the son of God though, if I am not mistaken ?

There are many denominations in Christianity, most (in the west) believe in the holy trinity where God takes 3 forms as the father, son and spirit. However, there are also denominations that reject the trinity and see Jesus as the son of God but not as God. There are probably many other beliefs in different denominations, but that's what I've gathered so far from my reading.
Wait so Christ is the Messiah in Islam too? do you mind telling me the scripture where the coming of the messiah is predicted in the Quran or other places I can read into Jesus from the Islamic perspective? As far as I was concerned I thought that Islam only acknowledged Jesus as a prophet but not as the messiah? Does that mean you also believe in the second coming of the Messiah or no?

Yes, Jesus is the the al’masih which you would more colloquially know as messiah. We believe that the Virgin Mary (Maryam) gave birth to him and he did perform miracles (giving sight to the blind etc) to prove that he was a holy prophet and messenger of Allah. We also believe he will return (the second coming) before the day of judgement to defeat the ad-Dajjal who is a false messiah or more commonly known as the Antichrist.

Within islamic eschatology theology it is taught that Christ will return to fight the anti-christ referred to as Dajjal (the one eyed false messiah) and Gog & Magog.
Then establish a golden age of justice and peace before the end of the world.
Within the sunnah, collections of hadith books and islamic scripture Christ is referred to as al-Masīḥ (the messiah), descended from the lines of Abraham and King David.
The lineage claims and ideological references connected with Elijah are very similar to those within the Old Testament.
I'm not a follower of islam, my undergrad and one of my postgrads is theology.

Latest

Trending

Trending