The Student Room Group

My dad is 5ft 9 and my mom is 5ft 2 why am I 6ft 4?

None of my grandparents were tall?
Sorry to tell you mate...
it happens sometimes
for some reason, many friends of my parents who are from the same country as us are really short but MOST of their children outgrow them a lot. Like their mothers are 5'0-5'2 and their fathers are 5'3-5'5 yet their children who are grown up become around 5'4-5'9 (girls) and 5'8-6'0+ (boys). I know those heights aren't incredibly tall but they are in comparison to their parents' heights. Children who are still in primary school are even taller like they're already reaching and surpassing their parents. There was this 12(?) year old girl my parents knew and she was already 5'8 (her parents are short). Don't know why or how, probably because the lifestyle and diet is much better here in the UK than in our country. Unfortunately it didn't happen to me, wish it did though
Original post by Anonymous

Hahaha you are funny. I almost dropped laughing.

I'm dead
mailman strikes again
Your mum has a giant secret. Literally.
None of my grandparents were tall

Well..... did you check the paternal side?
None of my grandparents were tall?

Have a look at the postman next time you see him
do a dna test also in some people height is expressed differently in genes maybe one of your grandparents who was a female was still above average height
It is common, i guess. My parents are 5 foot 2 and 5 foot 4 and i am 6 foot
Same thing happened to me

Then I found out he’s not my dad.
if not the milkman, the postman…
Jokes aside, GCSE Biology: genetics are both inherited and impacted by the environment. Though you may not see the cause for it around you, you have clearly benefitted from environmental factors. Welcome to evolution.

Quick Reply

Latest