The Student Room Group

Decided not to do Medicine, what now?

Did an undergrad in Biology. Worked in a hospital for a year to get work experience, then realised I hated most aspects about it and the life of being a doctor. I got into Medicine but decided to turn down my offer. Literally don't know wtf to do now as Medicine was the goal for a long time.

The world is my oyster, and I have a list of careers I'd like to have. Was thinking maybe to go into finance or consulting but it would be very difficult for me now with a science degree? Should I do a masters? Help x
Original post by Anonymous
Did an undergrad in Biology. Worked in a hospital for a year to get work experience, then realised I hated most aspects about it and the life of being a doctor. I got into Medicine but decided to turn down my offer. Literally don't know wtf to do now as Medicine was the goal for a long time.

The world is my oyster, and I have a list of careers I'd like to have. Was thinking maybe to go into finance or consulting but it would be very difficult for me now with a science degree? Should I do a masters? Help x

Do something that isn't so academic

have you thought of pharmaceuticals?
Reply 3
Original post by Hawraa.A
have you thought of pharmaceuticals?

Yes, albeit I don't know a whole lot about career growth, it's not really something I'd like to go into. Right now the only thing that's motivating me is money lol. Do you know much about salary ranges working for Pharmaceuticals? and salary/career growth?

Do something that isn't so academic

Any suggestions pls lol

For finance or consultancy, your degree doesn't matter. I know a VP at JPM with a Geography degree.
Original post by econhelp525
For finance or consultancy, your degree doesn't matter. I know a VP at JPM with a Geography degree.

but did they do maths A-levels?
but did they do maths A-levels?

Don't know, still unnecessary. They look at a minimum A Level grades, not subjects
Reply 7

Well done! Far better to check if a career is for you and change plans if not than the alternative. Loads of grad schemes would have places that might interest you. I wouldn't do a masters unless you know why you are doing it, that you would enjoy the job it might lead to and that it will help you to get that job. Masters can sometimes limit rather than expand your opportunities.
Reply 8
Original post by econhelp525
Don't know, still unnecessary. They look at a minimum A Level grades, not subjects

My A Levels are not the best to be honest, BCC. Was a very bad time for me. At the time I didn't take too much care as I knew I'd be doing a science undergrad degree and most graduate Medical Schools only look at degree grade + entrance exam (UCAT/GAMSAT) really. I did get 10 A*/A's for GCSE though lol. Scraped a 2.1 degree. Now that I've changed my mind, obviously kicking myself as I didn't realise finance jobs tend to focus so much on A Level grades.
My A Levels are not the best to be honest, BCC. Was a very bad time for me. At the time I didn't take too much care as I knew I'd be doing a science undergrad degree and most graduate Medical Schools only look at degree grade + entrance exam (UCAT/GAMSAT) really. I did get 10 A*/A's for GCSE though lol. Scraped a 2.1 degree. Now that I've changed my mind, obviously kicking myself as I didn't realise finance jobs tend to focus so much on A Level grades.

Yeah, most firms require a minimum ABB. But that's for internships. I'm not sure if A Level grades play a part in the application process for full time graduate roles.

Take a gap year, spend some time doing your own thing, and don't rush finding a career so soon. If you're motivated by money right now why not find a job for the now and then work on something behind the scenes so you can start setting yourself up.
Your science degree is a lot more useful than you think and a lot of employers in sectors that are well paid will more often than not have a science background of some sort due to the transferrable skills.
Take some time to invest in yourself and figure out what you want to do in your own time. The last thing you want to do is rush into a career and be miserable 10 years down the line because you're working to pay for your bills.

Veronica
Student Ambassador
You can apply to most grad schemes with any degree. Take a look at the ones available where you live/want to live and make a list of the ones you would be eligible for. I would advise against doing a master's without knowing the end goal. It does not actually make you any more employable than someone just with a bachelor's, unless you want to go into academia. It's too expensive to do just because.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending