The Student Room Group

Midwifery

Hi I would like some info on how to study and get into midwifery
Original post by angsharma

Hello,

Midwifery is good career choice. What you should always do is check directly on the University website that advertised the Midwifery course and see their entry requirements...

5 GCSEs at grades 9 to 4 (A* to C), or equivalent, including English, maths and science
2 or 3 A levels, including a science, or a level 3 diploma or access to higher education in health, science or nursing
a degree in a relevant subject for postgraduate study

Older and returning to education : then this can vary for you.

Good website:
https://www.healthcareers.nhs.uk/explore-roles/midwifery
https://www.healthcareers.nhs.uk/explore-roles/midwifery/roles-midwifery/midwife
https://www.prospects.ac.uk/job-profiles/midwife
https://nationalcareers.service.gov.uk/job-profiles/midwife

University entry requirements vary:
https://www.manchester.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/2021/11660/bmidwif-midwifery/entry-requirements/#course-profile
Original post by angsharma

Midwifing is a very highly competertive degree course due to limited numbers that each university take in each academic year.
You'll need English, maths & a science degree preferable biology.
Each university has there own entry requirements so therefore I would suggest you contact the chosen universities that you might attend for this degree to see what they require and then you can work towards it if need to.

I'm a NHS registered midwife ( in scotland) if I can help ok feel free to PM message me with any questions you want answered.

Screenshot_2020-09-19-14-54-51.png
Would I be able to get in midwifery with level 3 health and social care, along side an A level I’m currently enjoying ( Drama ). I plan to do work experience soon somewhere around the field, and volunteering.
Original post by Anonymous
Would I be able to get in midwifery with level 3 health and social care, along side an A level I’m currently enjoying ( Drama ). I plan to do work experience soon somewhere around the field, and volunteering.

Just make sure that your chosen universities accept these as entry requirements as otherwise you should be fine as level 3 in H&SC is a start for you,

Can you become a nurse with health and Social Care Level 3.......

At Level 3 you will be able to follow either a care or health sciences pathway. ... A career in nursing and health & social care is extremely fulfilling, helping others. All courses include work experience and opportunities for you to practise in a realistic working environment within the college.
Thank you for the reply. Yes I’ve checked a couple of the universities I’m planning to go to and they do accept Level 3 extended diploma. I’m hoping to get work experience and lots of volunteering to help write about midwifery when writing my personal statement.
Original post by Tracey_W
Just make sure that your chosen universities accept these as entry requirements as otherwise you should be fine as level 3 in H&SC is a start for you,

Can you become a nurse with health and Social Care Level 3.......

At Level 3 you will be able to follow either a care or health sciences pathway. ... A career in nursing and health & social care is extremely fulfilling, helping others. All courses include work experience and opportunities for you to practise in a realistic working environment within the college.

Thank you for the reply. I’ve left a post thinking I replied to this but I haven’t my bad 😭
I know that midwifery is very competitive and I feel like I have no chance with Level 3 health and social care because I know many are applying with A level Biology or an AS grade.
Thank you for the reply. Yes I’ve checked a couple of the universities I’m planning to go to and they do accept Level 3 extended diploma. I’m hoping to get work experience and lots of volunteering to help write about midwifery when writing my personal statement.

You welcome ok.

Hopefully you will be successful when you apply.
You at least know which universities allows this for you so therefore you will know where to apply to

Good luck ok
I know that midwifery is very competitive and I feel like I have no chance with Level 3 health and social care because I know many are applying with A level Biology or an AS grade.

Yes it very competertive because of limited numbers they take in each year due to the intense training side of it..

If you feel you won't be successful then think about doing adult nursing ok as then on qualifying you can apply for jobs on maternity wards as a adult nurse...
You welcome ok.

Hopefully you will be successful when you apply.
You at least know which universities allows this for you so therefore you will know where to apply to

Good luck ok

Thank you very much
Yes it very competertive because of limited numbers they take in each year due to the intense training side of it..

If you feel you won't be successful then think about doing adult nursing ok as then on qualifying you can apply for jobs on maternity wards as a adult nurse...

That’s good to know, thank you for the replies. I’m currently a year 12 student and I’m trying to get all the advice I can to be honest
Thank you very much

Hey, no problems ok

Feel free to PM me any question on things ok.
That’s good to know, thank you for the replies. I’m currently a year 12 student and I’m trying to get all the advice I can to be honest

That no problems in trying to assist you OK.

Only thing you won't be able to do is births as a adult nurse working on maternity wards okay but there's options of MCA ( maternity care assistant) as look at what this says on this position . I have few adult nurses under me to assist if required but they do everything else but doing births ok.
Always look at alternatives as well.
That no problems in trying to assist you OK.

Only thing you won't be able to do is births as a adult nurse working on maternity wards okay but there's options of MCA ( maternity care assistant) as look at what this says on this position . I have few adult nurses under me to assist if required but they do everything else but doing births ok.
Always look at alternatives as well.

That’s awesome ! If you don’t mind me asking, how many shifts/days do you do as a midwife?
That’s awesome ! If you don’t mind me asking, how many shifts/days do you do as a midwife?

I work 3 x 12.25 hours shifts a week regardless of dayshift or nightshifts or weekends with four days off as I'm hospital based.
I work 3 x 12.25 hours shifts a week regardless of dayshift or nightshifts or weekends with four days off as I'm hospital based.

Oh okay, would you say that other midwives roughly have the same working days as you or does it vary significantly? Thank you for replying 🙏🏽
Oh okay, would you say that other midwives roughly have the same working days as you or does it vary significantly? Thank you for replying 🙏🏽

Yes all hospital based midwifes where I'm from works same hours/ days per week but the community based midwifes works between Monday & Friday while the GP practices are open with day of in the week plus on call at nights. There are midwife on call over weekends
Yes all hospital based midwifes where I'm from works same hours/ days per week but the community based midwifes works between Monday & Friday while the GP practices are open with day of in the week plus on call at nights. There are midwife on call over weekends

Oh okay, that’s great. Thank you for letting me know. I very much appreciate it❤️
Oh okay, that’s great. Thank you for letting me know. I very much appreciate it❤️

No problems ok

Remember that you are free to PM me on this at anytime.....

Quick Reply

Latest