The Student Room Group
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website

the city of lancaster

I went to the lancaster open day yesterday and afterwards looked around the city. While it was quite pretty, I noticed it was fairly small and felt more like a large town than a city. Anyone who knows lancaster - is it a nice city for uni students?
Original post by Anonymous
I went to the lancaster open day yesterday and afterwards looked around the city. While it was quite pretty, I noticed it was fairly small and felt more like a large town than a city. Anyone who knows lancaster - is it a nice city for uni students?

Hi there! I'm a current final year student at Lancaster. You are right in that Lancaster is quite small but I've really enjoyed my time here so far as I've found there's always a lot going on and it's quite a vibrant city with lots of different events running throughout the year. You'll also find quite a lot of students live in town in their second and third year.
This weekend, there's been a music festival going on so the city centre has been packed with performers and I think quite a lot of people have come to Lancaster to see it.
There's lots of really great restaurants and plenty of bars and pubs and a few nightclubs (the Sugarhouse - run by the Students' Union - , Dalton's and Generation), there's two theatres - the Dukes and The Grand - that always have shows on, a great Farmer's Market on Wednesdays and Saturdays and lots of shops to go to.
In September there's the Highest Point Festival that's getting bigger every year in Williamson Park. What I'm trying to say is, there's lots of things to go and do or places to go and be with your mates in Lancaster.
Campus itself is also a great place to be with so many people on it, with a bar for each college and lots of food outlets that you might have noticed when you came. There's lots of societies too that'll fill up your time!
If you ever want to get out of Lancaster, we're obviously very close to the Lake District and by train, we're an hour from Manchester, an hour and a half from Liverpool, 20 minutes from Preston and 2 hours from Edinburgh and Glasgow.

Obviously, if you're looking to live in a big city, Lancaster might not be the best fit for you so I'd suggest sitting down and making a list of all the different universities you're looking at and see what's important to you - you're going to be spending at least 3 years of your life there so choose somewhere you know you'll love to be outside of classes.

Hope this was helpful and please let me know if you have any other questions!

- Daisy (Final year Spanish and Theatre student) :smile:
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending