The Student Room Group

wasted this half term year 11 advice???

I have been so burnt out and this half term and have done no revision. I really want to get high grades. Can I still get high grades? I feel so *****y and unorganised
bump someone plz reply
calm down. you have around 8 months until your actual exams, 1 week of sitting back won't do any harm.
Original post by unserious
calm down. you have around 8 months until your actual exams, 1 week of sitting back won't do any harm.

its not one week tho its been a month and its year 11
I have a test tomorrow and I havent even revised
someone reply pls
Original post by 4liferzz

it's over mate. your future plans are down the bin. failing an october test before your gcses? tragic. you've lost A grade privileges

someone reply pls

Revise?
relax, when do you break up for the half-term?
someone reply pls

my god you are so impatient
Ok. calm down, take a breath. In quick, then out slowly. Do this 20 times. Then keep reading this message.You have nothing to worry about. Your GCSEs aren't for like 7 months. There's like 250 days between now and the first exam. 250 days. If you did 1 hour of revision a day and 2 hours on weekends, then you would be able to do over 300 hours of revision, 25-30 per subject. You have plenty of time.What you need to do is this. Make a list of all your subjects, then work out how many hours you would be able to revise in a 2 week period (try not to do any longer than a 2 week cycle as it will be harder to follow - trust me.). Try and plan the exact hours you would be able to revise (eg. 5-6pm on Thursdays) so it will be easier to stick to. Once you have an idea of which and how many hours you will be able to revise in a 1/2 week cycle depending on which one you would prefer, look at all your subjects and decide how many hours you want to revise each one (for example, if you can revise 15 hours in a 2 week period, you might want to spend 3 revising maths, 1.5 revising french, 2 revising history etc.).Once you know how many hours you want to revise each subject in a 2 week period, make a list of all the hours you will be able to revise and assign a subject to them (eg: Wednesday 6:30-7:30 - Science or Sunday 3-5pm English)Once you have your basic revision schedule of when you will revise each subject, you can then focus on what specifically you want to revise in each subject (eg: chemistry - rates of reaction). What I would do is make a list of all the different topics/units for each subject and store them somewhere so you can keep looking back to them. Then, at the start of every 2 week cycle, you can look at your revision schedule and decide which specific topics you want to revise (for example, if on friday at 7-7:45pm you are revising spanish, you can decide to revise reflexive verbs etc.)Anyways, this is just what I started doing at the beginning of the year. It might not work as well for you as it is doing for me, but I hope I have helped you in some way. In regards to the tests you have coming up, forget about them - they don't matter. Just focus on the ones in May.Good luck, and I hope you are happy when you get your results in August!
year 12 student here! I felt incredibly burnt out most of yr 11 and ended up only putting in the effort after christmas, I’m not promoting this but the lowest GCSE grade I got was a 7 (highest was 9) so please don’t worry too much because forcing yourself to revise will make it worse. Take this half term break to look after yourself and come back stronger, if youve flunked any recent tests let them be a driving factor to prove you’re better than that :smile:
Original post by renosiie
year 12 student here! I felt incredibly burnt out most of yr 11 and ended up only putting in the effort after christmas, I’m not promoting this but the lowest GCSE grade I got was a 7 (highest was 9) so please don’t worry too much because forcing yourself to revise will make it worse. Take this half term break to look after yourself and come back stronger, if youve flunked any recent tests let them be a driving factor to prove you’re better than that :smile:

thank you sm
I think you need to find something which will motivate you - think about the potential career you want or the university you want to go to, now think about the A-level grades and subjects you need to have in order to get there and then think about the GCSE grades you need to achieve in order to do those A-levels and apply for that university/ job. What you'll realise is that you'll need to work smart and hard whether you like it or not and that the sooner you start, the better chance you have of achieving your end goal.
(edited 2 years ago)
I have been so burnt out and this half term and have done no revision. I really want to get high grades. Can I still get high grades? I feel so *****y and unorganised

hey, current year 12 student here. It’s gonna be okay just take a deep breath. When I was in year 11 I didn’t start revising properly until like January maybe February. A lot of my friends can relate to that too. But we all still managed to get high grades. It’s going to be okay, have faith and you’ll pull through!!

You have quite some time left till your GCSE exams, around 7 months and that's plenty of time for you to improve and be able to get those grade 9s, 2 years ago when I was in year 11 I felt the same way you did, stressing due to organisation and procrastinating too much, but you don't need to worry and stress yourself out for no reason as it'll end up having a long term effect on your revision when you have a month or so left till your exams. Just do your best and focus now for the rest of year 11 and you'll see the progress, try not to stress out and burn yourself out with too much work, do around 2-3 hours per day and you'll be set. Try and find ways to motivate yourself and reward yourself when you've done sufficient revision for the day and make sure to take enough breaks in between the day. Trust me you'll be fine just don't stress out too much.
Original post by lolwegeta1
relax, when do you break up for the half-term?

friday
Reply 16

I won't lie. I had done a similar thing. Any revision I did was for any end-of-topic tests and that is just about it. My mocks weren't far and all any teacher seemed to say was the countdown till the actual exams which only fueled my stress.

But I promise it isn't the end of the world!!

Going from year 10 where I honestly wasn't revising for anything to year 11 where all of a sudden I should be covering all my past topics and doing exam practice and flashcards ect is so overwhelming. So much was expected from me but I was just not doing it. And it's okay. You can get high grades. Just because your first term of year 11 wasn't productive doesn't mean the rest will be the same. And it's perfectly fine to be burnt out after the first term! All your told is 'GCSE this' or 'GCSE that'. Just listening to all of that is tiring so it's okay to be tired.

Don't give up. Don't allow yourself to take in all the crap you are feeling and give it up.

The GCSE's aren't tomorrow. You have the time which means you can change.

Whatever exams you have deal with them first. If you have any end-of-term or topic tests revise for those first before you start the 'Big Revision. That way when it comes to the 'Big Revision' you'll find you have less to revise as you've done the topics you had mini-tests for.

Hold onto that drive to get high grades. Because trust me on the days where getting a bare pass seems nice your want for those top grades will really keep you going. Keep wanting those high grades, in the end, that feeling helps you get them because you will work to that standard.

It's a half-term now so you have the time to get yourself organized. Use this time to clean up your books and your loose papers. Think of some revision strategies and things that you know work for you. One thing I would recommend, which was so helpful for me, was the app 'Adapt'. It's a great app that will also help you manage your revision too based on your subjects and timing.

When term starts and things pick up again it will get hectic and stressful. What I would advise is to dedicate a day to a subject of your choice. Eg. Monday is Biology day. On Monday after you have done all your school homework and personal activities open up your biology exercise book and revision guide and start from the top. Make mindmaps or flashcards or brain dumps or drawings or notes. Whatever you want to do to revise do it. Spend one hour Max on it doing as much as you can in that time frame. After your times up close it and move on. And that is one piece of Biology done. And it's okay at the start to be doing a little in that hour, you can't expect yourself to be finishing one whole topic in an hour. But the more you do it the more you will cover. Before you know it when the 'Big Revsion' comes around you will have much less to revise.

Take breaks. Your, not a machine. If you don't feel particularly great one day that's okay. You can take a break from it all. But make sure you have something to fall back onto. Whether it's a hobby or something else you like make sure you keep in tune with it so you don't continually tire yourself too much.

I hope I've been of some help! I wish you the best of luck in your exams. Everyone is capable of getting what they want.

Best of luck!

Quick Reply