The Student Room Group

i can't stand my flatmates anymore.

i moved to uni accomodation at the start of september. i quickly realised all my flatmates are extroverts, whereas i'm shy, introverted, and i've got anxiety. i let them know about my anxiety, and they all seemed pretty welcoming.
and that's where that ended. we would having passing conversations or just greetings in the kitchen, but i'd still get massive amounts of anxiety for hanging around in there, so generally i would just stay in my room most of the time.
for some reason this bothers them. so they started writing things on the hallway blackboard about me, shouting my name down the corridor, talking about me in the kitchen, and although maybe they were just trying to convince me to come out of my room, it's just made me extremely uncomfortable to be here anymore. i thought they'd just leave me be, especially since i'm not bothering anyone. but nope.
i don't know what to do. my parents just dropped me off from a weekend at home, and instantly noticed how scared i got just by being in the flat again. they want me to move out and find another flat, but that's kind of difficult - especially since its the middle of term, and who says it'll get better living with other people when it could be equally as bad? i'm so stuck.
Reply 1
Try sitting them down and explaining how you feel. It might seem awkward or hard at first but if you let them know how they are making you feel, it might help them realise that what they're doing is only upsetting you rather than encouraging you to come out.
Are you able to share what they would write on the board ? The shouting of your name is done on purpose and isn’t right. Have you talked to your university.
You shouldn't have told them about ur anxiety, especially as you don't know them. They would've respected that ur a quiet, shy person but idk. Just tell them to stop and ignore them if they carry on - don't let them intimidate you. If they continue then report them.
They are a mean group of people. It sounds as though they're making a collective effort to make you uncomfortable.

Try and take a photo of the messages about you on the blackboard while they aren't around. Then show this to your accomodation manager, and say what else has been happening. Something should be sorted out, if it's not then definitely get your parents involved.
Reply 5
Original post by SyedN
Try sitting them down and explaining how you feel. It might seem awkward or hard at first but if you let them know how they are making you feel, it might help them realise that what they're doing is only upsetting you rather than encouraging you to come out.

this sounds good in theory but since ive got trouble talking to them in general idk how i'd manage this lmaoo
Reply 6
Original post by ReadandBench
Are you able to share what they would write on the board ? The shouting of your name is done on purpose and isn’t right. Have you talked to your university.

it started off with "[my name] + [other anxious flatmate] come out your rooms", then "[me] + [them] top shaggers", "[me] big up" all which didnt really bother me, but the newest one "[me] + [them] convinced yous don't exist".
have spoken to my uni yet but might consider it
Reply 7
Original post by Monrose344
You shouldn't have told them about ur anxiety, especially as you don't know them. They would've respected that ur a quiet, shy person but idk. Just tell them to stop and ignore them if they carry on - don't let them intimidate you. If they continue then report them.

to be fair we'd been speaking in a groupchat for a few months before moving in. i thought i'd come off as rude since they'd all been spending time together but i couldn't will myself to join them. idk, you're right tho probably
Reply 8
Original post by rosy_posy
They are a mean group of people. It sounds as though they're making a collective effort to make you uncomfortable.

Try and take a photo of the messages about you on the blackboard while they aren't around. Then show this to your accomodation manager, and say what else has been happening. Something should be sorted out, if it's not then definitely get your parents involved.

okay, will do. thank you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending