The Student Room Group

How to do uni readings?

How long do I spend doing readings approximately? How do I effectively skim-read? I'm sick of spending like 2-3 hours reading and trying to understand them.
Reply 1
Effective skim reading just comes with practice.

I spend a few hours a day reading. You kind of do need to be doing a lot of reading at university. The lecturers aren't going to give you the answers, you must find them out for yourself. There's a reason there's much less contact time at uni than there is at school.
Original post by heart2you
How long do I spend doing readings approximately? How do I effectively skim-read? I'm sick of spending like 2-3 hours reading and trying to understand them.

Hi! @heart2you

I usually just read the introduction and conclusion first, then skim read the main body picking out the main points that were mentioned in the introduction and conclusion.
Like others have said skim-reading comes with practice. However, I would go to your university academic support and they usually offer workshops to help you with these sorts of skills.

I hope this helps!
Best wishes
Chloe - Official Student Rep :smile:

Hey @heart2you,

I would suggest always reading first and focusing on the abstract to the paper as that has the most relevant info! Don't worry, it does come with time!

Hope that helps!

Daisy
3rd year politics and international relations student

Hi there,

I hope you are well :biggrin:

It really depends - there really is no time limit! What I do is look for key words in the reading and read around the word. Another tip that I do is always read the introduction and the conclusion to gage a sense of what the writer is arguing :smile:

I hope that's helpful!

Ana
University of Liverpool Rep.

Quick Reply

Latest