The Student Room Group

Understanding the question/ essay topic

Hi:smile:
Does anyone have any resources on how to understand the essay topic as phrases like "dramatic effects", "methods and concerns" and "language and action" throw me off since I don't know what they want from me?

Thank you.
Original post by georgemac123
Hi:smile:
Does anyone have any resources on how to understand the essay topic as phrases like "dramatic effects", "methods and concerns" and "language and action" throw me off since I don't know what they want from me?

Thank you.

I am not sure what level you are studying at, but I’m a Year 13 A* literature student - if that’s relevant to your level, hopeful this will help :smile:

Dramatic effects essentially means the effect upon the audience. Does it evoke pity? Does it persuade the audience to believe something in particular? Focus upon this throughout the essay.

Methods and concerns points to firstly, methods the writer has employed. This could be structural devices like foreshadowing, juxtaposing, repetition etc., or language devices like metaphor, adjective, adverb etc. Concerns then refers to that which the writer is concerned with - essentially, ask yourself what the writer’s intention is. Do they want to evoke laughter? Do they want to spread a particular political message?

Language refers to language devices, examples are listed above! Action threw me a bit, I assume it refers to plot points - what is actually happening in the text? Consider the point at which the conflict is introduced for instance.
Original post by louisecarter01
I am not sure what level you are studying at, but I’m a Year 13 A* literature student - if that’s relevant to your level, hopeful this will help :smile:

Dramatic effects essentially means the effect upon the audience. Does it evoke pity? Does it persuade the audience to believe something in particular? Focus upon this throughout the essay.

Methods and concerns points to firstly, methods the writer has employed. This could be structural devices like foreshadowing, juxtaposing, repetition etc., or language devices like metaphor, adjective, adverb etc. Concerns then refers to that which the writer is concerned with - essentially, ask yourself what the writer’s intention is. Do they want to evoke laughter? Do they want to spread a particular political message?

Language refers to language devices, examples are listed above! Action threw me a bit, I assume it refers to plot points - what is actually happening in the text? Consider the point at which the conflict is introduced for instance.

THIS IS EXACTLY WHAT I NEEDED-thank you:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending