The Student Room Group

University staff to vote on strike action over pensions and pay

Poll

Do you support university staff striking over pension and pay?

Source - https://www.itv.com/news/2021-09-21/university-staff-to-be-balloted-for-strike-action-over-pensions-and-pay

"University staff are set to vote on strike action before Christmas in a dispute over pensions, pay and working conditions.

The University and College Union (UCU) said its members will be balloted in October on whether or not to strike this academic term.

The dispute over pensions comes after a joint negotiating committee supported proposals by Universities UK (UUK) to deal with an estimated £15 billion funding shortfall in the Universities Superannuation Scheme (USS).

The union said changes to the USS pension scheme will mean a typical lecturer on a £42,000 a year salary will lose 35% of their guaranteed retirement benefits.

Strike ballots will open at 152 universities across the UK on October 18, UCU’s higher education committee said.

The ballot will close on November 4 and the union will consider the results on November 8. Strikes could take place before Christmas."

Scroll to see replies

If this goes ahead, there is no way I can support these strikes. Over the last few years, it has become clear that we are simply pawns to the UCU and certain lecturers. We have had to face their strikes and over-the-top demands for Covid restrictions which have constantly impacted our quality of education and mental health. They have done nothing to support us so why should we support them with this? They constantly throw us under the bus so they can get what they want and frankly, I've had enough of it.
Original post by SpaceLover29
Source - https://www.itv.com/news/2021-09-21/university-staff-to-be-balloted-for-strike-action-over-pensions-and-pay

"University staff are set to vote on strike action before Christmas in a dispute over pensions, pay and working conditions.

The University and College Union (UCU) said its members will be balloted in October on whether or not to strike this academic term.

The dispute over pensions comes after a joint negotiating committee supported proposals by Universities UK (UUK) to deal with an estimated £15 billion funding shortfall in the Universities Superannuation Scheme (USS).

The union said changes to the USS pension scheme will mean a typical lecturer on a £42,000 a year salary will lose 35% of their guaranteed retirement benefits.

Strike ballots will open at 152 universities across the UK on October 18, UCU’s higher education committee said.

The ballot will close on November 4 and the union will consider the results on November 8. Strikes could take place before Christmas."

Unfortunately for uni staff, I don't think the general public have a great deal of sympathy for them right now. If they strike they will alienate people further which is a shame as it sounds like they do have a legitimate reason to strike. However, that will be lost in the general feeling that it's time they just got on with their job after the sub optimal teaching experience students have suffered which they are still suffering at many unis who are still restricting face to face learning.
Original post by harrysbar
Unfortunately for uni staff, I don't think the general public have a great deal of sympathy for them right now. If they strike they will alienate people further which is a shame as it sounds like they do have a legitimate reason to strike. However, that will be lost in the general feeling that it's time they just got on with their job after the sub optimal teaching experience students have suffered which they are still suffering at many unis who are still restricting face to face learning.

Yes there will be no sympathy from either students nor the wider public if these strikes go ahead. People will just perceive university staff as selfish, and quite rightfully as lecturers have been sat on full pay for the past 18 months while millions face redundancy and pay cuts. For once students ought to be put first given the disruption to education during 2020 and 2021 - although putting students first seems impossible given our education system.
Reply 4
I don't really blame the professors, I blame the management of the universities
Original post by harrysbar

This is how I feel to be honest. I do understand the reasons for striking but this isn't the right way or the right time. Students haven't had a normal year at university for ages and they want to make this one even worse.

Comments like this don't help either - https://www.theguardian.com/education/2021/sep/26/universities-should-say-sorry-to-students-if-staff-strike-says-union-boss

Whether the UCU wants to accept it or not, it is their choice to vote for strike action which will have a detrimental impact on students, despite the fact that none of this is the students' fault. They need to accept that it is their own actions that are having an impact on students and apologise. If not, I think they will get even less support than I currently expect them to get.
Lecturers being paid £42k?

Lmao man that’s rough
Reply 7
Sometimes the American approach is warranted it seems, like how Raegan dealt with incalcitrant air traffic controllers...
"Lecturers at more than 150 universities are planning “enormous disruption” by launching strike action over workload, pensions and pay.

Members of the University and College Union (UCU) are to vote on whether to launch a campaign of industrial action, which could stretch into the new year.

Thousands of lecturers, researchers and other academic staff are being balloted on strikes over pay, pensions and working conditions, threatening disruption at universities across the nation. The vote is set to take place in the coming weeks.

Jo Grady, the UCU general secretary, said pay and working conditions had worsened over the past decade, with staff now at “breaking point”."

University lecturers threaten ‘enormous disruption’ with strikes that could last until new year - https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2021/10/18/university-lecturers-threaten-enormous-disruption-strikes-could/

They still seem to be perfectly happy to punish students for this, despite it not having anything to do with them.
Reply 9
I get why they want to go on strike, but frankly, I don't think this will be well-received at all. They're not very favourably viewed at the moment by the general public for a plethora of reasons, and this will just make it worse. The retirement benefits stuff is fair, but people won't see it.
Original post by srijan_p
I get why they want to go on strike, but frankly, I don't think this will be well-received at all. They're not very favourably viewed at the moment by the general public for a plethora of reasons, and this will just make it worse. The retirement benefits stuff is fair, but people won't see it.

I also understand why, but I just don't think this is the right time to strike or the right way to get their voices heard.

Students haven't had a normal uni year for ages, and they want to make this one even worse for students despite this not having anything to do with them. That will never go down well.
I also understand why, but I just don't think this is the right time to strike or the right way to get their voices heard.

Students haven't had a normal uni year for ages, and they want to make this one even worse for students despite this not having anything to do with them. That will never go down well.

What is the right way?
Original post by Dupe Hunter
What is the right way?

That isn't what is important. What is important is what the impact of the strike will be.

Just because they can't come up with an alternative doesn't mean it is right to strike.
That isn't what is important. What is important is what the impact of the strike will be.

Just because they can't come up with an alternative doesn't mean it is right to strike.

So in your opinion they should just shut up and stop complaining despite losing money on a pension they have paid in for?

If you want someone to blame someone then blame the university to ****ing it up, the staff just want what they are owed.

I fully support their strike action.
Although I understand the argument here, a strikes purpose in to cause as much disruption as possible to attempt to force those that they are negotiating with to give them a fairer offer in order to stop the strike from going ahead.
So the mere fact that so many wish for this year to be “normal” the timing will probably work in the strikers favour I’d have thought.
Original post by Dupe Hunter
So in your opinion they should just shut up and stop complaining despite losing money on a pension they have paid in for?

If you want someone to blame someone then blame the university to ****ing it up, the staff just want what they are owed.

I fully support their strike action.

No, that isn't what I said and you know it.

The staff can demand what they are owed, but not by throwing another group of people under the bus. How is that right?
Original post by GabiAbi84
Although I understand the argument here, a strikes purpose in to cause as much disruption as possible to attempt to force those that they are negotiating with to give them a fairer offer in order to stop the strike from going ahead.
So the mere fact that so many wish for this year to be “normal” the timing will probably work in the strikers favour I’d have thought.

Which is disgraceful. They are using the terrible time many students have had for their gain. It is wrong.
and they wonder why they are being made redundant
No, that isn't what I said and you know it.

The staff can demand what they are owed, but not by throwing another group of people under the bus. How is that right?

Do you really think that striking was their first option? I am sure they want to sort this out amicably without the need for strike action but should the universities not come to the table constructively then what should they do in your opinion?
Which is disgraceful. They are using the terrible time many students have had for their gain. It is wrong.

It is not.
They are striking for fairness and what they believe is right.
It is not “for their gain”
If they were given a fair offer then this would all be over.

Why are you putting all the onus onto lecturers to solve this problem?
(edited 2 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending