The Student Room Group

Was I right to leave my lecture early?

Usually I will stay in my lectures all throughout, regardless of how little I sometimes learn from them or how droning they can be. Today, however, my whole friend decided to up and leave fifteen mins into the lecture, and I didn’t want to be left behind on my own as I would be on my own for my next few classes too, and so I made a (bad) decision to leave early with them

I feel terrible and absolutely guilty for doing this as I’ve never skipped class before, and even though we slipped out quietly without disrupting anyone else or without the lecturer spotting us, I still feel like it wasn’t right. Am I thinking too deep into it?

I basically just need to know if this is a common thing at uni and if I should’ve just stayed at my lecture. I’m four weeks into my first year and I worry that if I start on bad habits now, it’ll be all the more difficult to break later on. Thoughts?
Reply 1
Bump
Reply 2
It is a silly thing to do and despite what a few galaxybrains on here will say, not at all a good habit to get into
Original post by Anonymous
Bump

No you’re not “thinking too deep into it” it’s rude and disrespectful-not to mention the lectures are there for you to learn from.

Just remember, just because your friend does something, doesn’t mean you should follow him.
Reply 4
Usually I will stay in my lectures all throughout, regardless of how little I sometimes learn from them or how droning they can be. Today, however, my whole friend decided to up and leave fifteen mins into the lecture, and I didn’t want to be left behind on my own as I would be on my own for my next few classes too, and so I made a (bad) decision to leave early with them

I feel terrible and absolutely guilty for doing this as I’ve never skipped class before, and even though we slipped out quietly without disrupting anyone else or without the lecturer spotting us, I still feel like it wasn’t right. Am I thinking too deep into it?

I basically just need to know if this is a common thing at uni and if I should’ve just stayed at my lecture. I’m four weeks into my first year and I worry that if I start on bad habits now, it’ll be all the more difficult to break later on. Thoughts?

Sorry I meant to say whole friend group but it cut out
Reply 5
Original post by gjd800
It is a silly thing to do and despite what a few galaxybrains on here will say, not at all a good habit to get into

That’s my worry, even though the friend group I’m with is fun to hang around with and they do mean well, I just worry it’ll affect my studies, as I want to be in my lecture at least focused on studies rather than out there skipping lectures
Reply 6
Original post by GabiAbi84
No you’re not “thinking too deep into it” it’s rude and disrespectful-not to mention the lectures are there for you to learn from.

Just remember, just because your friend does something, doesn’t mean you should follow him.

True I feel so bad about it
Reply 7
That’s my worry, even though the friend group I’m with is fun to hang around with and they do mean well, I just worry it’ll affect my studies, as I want to be in my lecture at least focused on studies rather than out there skipping lectures

make the choice to stay in the lectures, it couldn't be any simpler
Reply 8
i don't think it's common but just be grateful you weren't like the students in my class who tried to pull this off once and the lecturer made a public spectacle of themselves.
I wouldn't make a habit of it that's for sure. I've left lectures early before but only because I wasn't feeling well and I left during the break so it was less noticeable. Others have left early for other committments i.e jobs or childcare but as long as missing lectures doesn't impact their work, it's not too bad, plus they'd normally let the lecturer know at the start that they'd be leaving early. It's only polite.

But leaving early because your friends have done is a poor excuse. I've been in lectures and seminars by myself before, it's not great but you have to suck it up. You're there to learn after all.

One of my former lecturers told our cohort on the first day of my undergrad: "If you want to leave, leave as discretely as you can. I'm not going to beg you to stay; you're an adult, you can make your own choices and understand the consequences of those choices".

Don't give in to peer pressure if you actually want to stay in the lectures. If your friendship group makes you feel bad for not leaving with them, remind of the primary reason they should be at university in the first place: to get a degree. At university, we should be past the point of fearing doing something without friends being around.
Pretty rude imo. Either don't show up or if you do show up and need to leave early, do it as discretely as possible and as late as possible into the lecture- not as a big ol clique stomping out.
No, You'd sound a right idiot trying to tell people down the line you dropped/kicked out because of peer pressure and indifference of all things.

It's just a bit immature - what does it matter if you're 'on your own' for the next few classes? They're learning opportunities, not social events.

More to the point, you've probably paid several hundred quid for that lecture. Why would you skip it just because your friends had decided to leave?

Think of what you want to achieve longterm, and the best way of going about it. That's not done by missing lectures for no good reason :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending