The Student Room Group

Cifas marker and 16 years old. Need bank

Hi, so I am 16 years old and believe have a Cifas marker. I will speak truthfully and hopefully I can get some advice. I was 14 at the time btw so I was very stupid and didn’t know about fraud and wasn’t really aware but okay here we go.

I was 14 and a friend of a friend asked me “if I bank transfer you, can you give me cash” I did ask why cant you do it yourself but he just said he didn’t have his card on him so I said okay and I went ago and did it. It was £250 and I took it out and gave it him and I went along with my ways.

Days later my online banking stopped working and I couldn’t log in and days later I got letters from the bank saying my account closed and after researching i believe I had been slapped with a Cifas marker, great.

I’ve fully learnt my lesson but I was only 14 at the time so It didn’t occur to me it was fraud but how is me being nice causing me to have a fraud marker. I now know I can’t randomly get bank transferred and give cash but at 14 how would I know this and I was just trying to be nice but oh well.

A year past and I now need a card, I know I can’t get most mainstream as I’ve applied and been turned down due to Cifas so I was wondering any that will accept me. I know prepaid works but at the moment I’m only 16 and can’t get most.

I have not told my parents and planning on not doing so as it will just be awkward and they’ll be disappointed so this is not a option. know I can’t get any prepaids like Pockit or Henry. Is there any that I can get as 16 without parents help, please let me know. Thanks
(edited 2 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Just tell your parents they most likely can help you , I’ve seen people do worse things at 14 they will get over it
Reply 2
Original post by SubhanF
Just tell your parents they most likely can help you , I’ve seen people do worse things at 14 they will get over it

True but I got that trust with my parents that I just don’t wanna break as they always believe and trust me. If I can find an alternative I would prefer that as telling my parents isn’t a option I wanna take.
Reply 3
Original post by journo98E
Hi there,
can you contact me about this?
I'd be interested in speaking to you

Hi, thanks for concerning. Speaking on here would be fine
Reply 4
Original post by journo98E
Do you have any idea why your friend needed that money? What he was gonna use it for?
Did you speak about this with your bank? How did you know they closed your account because of this specific withdrawal?
Have you checked you actually have a Cifas marker? You can do that for free and you have the right to do that
You say you haven't told your parents, but have you told any friends about this? Any adult?

All these questions because I'm covering this topic and looking to speak to people who have actually been involved. Many don't know about money mulling and go into it, so I'm trying to do my bit to get people informed. If you don't feel comfortable answering these questions here pls do that by sending me a private message

Oh okay. Hi, it really needs to made clear to youngsters about this and they don’t teach this from young. I wasn’t even trying to make money out but be nice and this still happened so you got to be aware.

So firstly I don’t know why he needed that much amount of money as he said oh I need some cash so I thought it would be £10, £20 ends up sending £250 and so obviously I had to give him the full £250 and didn’t really question it as he was older.

So my bank didn’t call me I had to call them to see what was happening with my bank and after explaining exactly how I was just withdrawing money they told me to “show proof your telling the truth”. I was annoyed as it’s impossible to show proof as I wasn’t recording the situation so as I couldn’t provide proof after 30 days they closed my account

I’m also believing I have a Cifas marker as this case has happened to several other people so it must be the same but the reason I haven’t requested is that I believe they send letters and I can’t risk my parents finding out so I haven’t requested this. Also at the time I didn’t have the boys I chill with now so it was a lot different, I was basically a kid. If this happened now, my friends would go after the guy and make him tell the bank what he did but as I was i was very young it was different. So answering your question, I’ve only told one of my close boys and he offered to help but as it’s been over a year I said no point.

Hopefully I’ve helped you and you can inform others of this. I just really wish the system wasn’t like this as the people who know how to manipulate fraud will never get caught it’s only the victims as there’s so many fraudsters but they know what they’re doing so they will never get caught.

I also don’t even think it’s worth appealing as seeing how others have not worked, I don’t think my application will. I just wish it was shorter than 6 years a majority who has one of these is under 18 and are sometimes the victim. I would even offer paying the £250 but I believe that’s also not possible.

Hopefully this helps 😀
(edited 2 years ago)
My dog’s cousin asked me to do the same thing when I had an account as a foetus, so I feel your pain.
Original post by Anon12399
Hi, so I am 16 years old and believe have a Cifas marker. I will speak truthfully and hopefully I can get some advice. I was 14 at the time btw so I was very stupid and didn’t know about fraud and wasn’t really aware but okay here we go.

I was 14 and a friend of a friend asked me “if I bank transfer you, can you give me cash” I did ask why cant you do it yourself but he just said he didn’t have his card on him so I said okay and I went ago and did it. It was £250 and I took it out and gave it him and I went along with my ways.

Days later my online banking stopped working and I couldn’t log in and days later I got letters from the bank saying my account closed and after researching i believe I had been slapped with a Cifas marker, great.

I’ve fully learnt my lesson but I was only 14 at the time so It didn’t occur to me it was fraud but it was still my fault and I take full responsibility so anyway my question.

A year past and I now need a card, I know I can’t get most mainstream as I’ve applied and been turned down due to Cifas so I was wondering any that will accept me. I know prepaid works but at the moment I’m only 16 and can’t get most.

I have not told my parents and planning on not doing so as it will just be awkward and they’ll be disappointed so this is not a option. know I can’t get any prepaids like Pockit or Henry. Is there any that I can get as 16 without parents help, please let me know. Thanks

Try get a account at your local credit union
How is someone transferring you money, and you withdrawing that money, fraud?
Reply 8
Original post by econhelp525

It's money laundering.
Reply 9

It probably wasn't their money that got transfered to you.
Original post by IWMTom
It's money laundering.

Oh, I had absolutely no idea.

Is it also money laundering if you send money to someone, and your friend transfer you back to pay you back? As in, you transfer money to a third person for them?

Is it also money laundering if you send money to someone, and your friend transfer you back to pay you back? As in, you transfer money to a third person for them?

Depends where the moneys coming from how it was obtained
Reply 12
Original post by struggler07
Try get a account at your local credit union

Hi, I have one close to me and can go soon. What shall I say/ask for? Shall I tell them I have a Cifas marker and what account should I ask for. Thanks for the advice
Reply 13

The problem here is that the money had an unknown origin.
Hi, I have one close to me and can go soon. What shall I say/ask for? Shall I tell them I have a Cifas marker and what account should I ask for. Thanks for the advice

No don’t tell them you got a cifas they don’t check anyway and ask for a basic account
Reply 15
Original post by struggler07
No don’t tell them you got a cifas they don’t check anyway and ask for a basic account

Went in today to my local credit union and the women was a bit weirded out as I was only 16. She was kind of like wtf but when I asked if I could me a member she told me I need to be 18 to be a member of this credit union. It’s a pennine one, that’s the name of it and there’s no much else that’s close to me which isn’t pennine.

Is there any alternative to a card at 16 as credit union didn’t work? Thanks.
Went in today to my local credit union and the women was a bit weirded out as I was only 16. She was kind of like wtf but when I asked if I could me a member she told me I need to be 18 to be a member of this credit union. It’s a pennine one, that’s the name of it and there’s no much else that’s close to me which isn’t pennine.

Is there any alternative to a card at 16 as credit union didn’t work? Thanks.

Most credit unions you have to be 18 try and get a prepaid card
Reply 17
Thanks for letting me know. Currently at 16 I can’t get any prepaid cards by myself which is what I’m trying to do. Everything I’ve tried hasn’t worked and I’m currently stuck and don’t know what to do as I really need a card and don’t mind whichever one it is.
Thanks for letting me know. Currently at 16 I can’t get any prepaid cards by myself which is what I’m trying to do. Everything I’ve tried hasn’t worked and I’m currently stuck and don’t know what to do as I really need a card and don’t mind whichever one it is.

Try and get your mum to make a gohenry card and add you on as a minor should work
Reply 19
True but I got that trust with my parents that I just don’t wanna break as they always believe and trust me. If I can find an alternative I would prefer that as telling my parents isn’t a option I wanna take.

Given how loing they last and how difficult they make life for you i doubt youll be able to hide this for 6years or whatever it is.. just be honest with them, instead of lying (ironic given the trust remark but still)

Latest

Trending

Trending