The Student Room Group

Help i want to leave 6th form

So i started sixth form a few weeks ago. i’m not enjoying it to say the least. there’s too much pressure and yes i attended the secondary school prior but this is even worse! i really want to drop out and study online at an online college. currently i’m doing h&sc as it was the only vocational option. however i’m already working in the health sector and i don’t really see myself going very forward in adult care as a career or the outcomes of h&sc like teaching or midwifery. if i was to leave and go online college i can study many courses that i actually want. ik half of you will say why not just go to a normal college but honestly i don’t want to. i’d rather do it online faster and get the qualifications. should i just drop out of sixth form? is online college counted as full time education?
I can not answer your question about the online college, as I have never done it. But I have repeated year 12 this year at a different school and I am much happier then I was last year. What is the issue exactly? Do you feel like your teachers aren't helping you? Trust me I was under a lot of pressure last year doing my three a levels and enrichment activities too. I would say wait a few months maybe December, and see how you feel then. Don't panic like I did, because there are always other options out there. Moving schools was the right decision for me and maybe it is for you as well. Could you maybe talk to a careers adviser or even your family to help you?

I don't mind continuing this conversation if you found what I said was useful at all!
Original post by FireonIce
I can not answer your question about the online college, as I have never done it. But I have repeated year 12 this year at a different school and I am much happier then I was last year. What is the issue exactly? Do you feel like your teachers aren't helping you? Trust me I was under a lot of pressure last year doing my three a levels and enrichment activities too. I would say wait a few months maybe December, and see how you feel then. Don't panic like I did, because there are always other options out there. Moving schools was the right decision for me and maybe it is for you as well. Could you maybe talk to a careers adviser or even your family to help you?

I don't mind continuing this conversation if you found what I said was useful at all!

i’m just too unmotivated honestly.. i don’t think i can wait till december
Sixth form is difficult. Stick with it, worth it in the end.
Reply 4

Can I ask how you have found restarting year 12? Did you take the same subjects? Also, have you found that it affects applying to unis in anyway. I'm happy to hear that you feel happy now though.
Reply 5
Dropping out of sixth form is a lot more difficult than dropping out of uni, both your sixth form and the government do not want you to drop out. With uni, none cares.
Original post by Ranistar
Can I ask how you have found restarting year 12? Did you take the same subjects? Also, have you found that it affects applying to unis in anyway. I'm happy to hear that you feel happy now though.

Of course! I restarted year 12 at a different school altogether, and honestly I didn't realise how poor my old school was, until I came out of it! I took RSL Music level 3, history and combined english last year. This year I completely dropped History as the full day of studying each subject gave me frequent headaches for history, and as the year went on, I found I was completely unmotivated to study what used to be one of my fave subjects. Now I am studying Music A level (which is quite a change) Psychology instead of History (which I find really interesting!) and the same english combined course as last year. It is a really good revision for the things I did do last year, as this teacher picked up completely different things then my old one did. To answer your other question it didn't really impact on me applying to unis, because I was just starting to practice writing personal statements with Unifrog (really good tool btw!) I did poorly on the end of year mocks which obviously impacted on my predicted grades for Uni. I wasn't feeling the best at the time, obviously covid as well as personal problems that I was really worried about. My dream uni to go to requires all As, and of course me getting predictions of Ds wasn't good enough for me to get in, which was one of the main reasons why I restarted (Alongside my mental health) I felt a bit guillty for leaving one of my close freinds but I know I made the right choice. I feel motivated again (and lets face it- you have to be in sixth form!)

hope this helped you! :smile: and I am so sorry for the long response!
Original post by pleasehelpmelol
i’m just too unmotivated honestly.. i don’t think i can wait till december

Have you talked to your parents about this?
I left, i’m onto an apprenticeship now
Have you talked to your parents about this?

Yeah, my parents supported me with the decision. if it’s not something i want to do there’s no point doing it: had a meeting today with the 6th form and so ive left now
Original post by mondays child
Sixth form is difficult. Stick with it, worth it in the end.

not if they don’t have the course i want to do
Reply 11
I dropped out it was the best thing I ever did! However I did end up resisting at a different college and it was so much better!
Reply 12
How did the meeting go? I really want to leave my sixth form, and have an action plan for after which my dad supports but I don't know how to actually leave.
Reply 13
Original post by pleasehelpmelol
I left, i’m onto an apprenticeship now

It has been a year. Just wanted to know if you are feeling better now and happier with your choice

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending