The Student Room Group

I think I have ADHD

I’m 19 and suddenly I feel like I cannot concentrate and have also picked up on my “usual” traits, such as excessive talking, impulsiveness, and being forgetful.
A colleague said that girls are often overlooked because their symptoms are different or become apparent later in life.

I don’t know what to do
Talk to your GP and don't self-diagnose. ADHD doesn't suddenly appear in adulthood.
Reply 2
Original post by CountBread
Talk to your GP and don't self-diagnose. ADHD doesn't suddenly appear in adulthood.

No I’m not saying it’s suddenly appeared, I’m saying I’ve finally realized why I am the way that I am.
Reply 3
Original post by CountBread

You have to have symptoms as a child too. If you have no symptoms in childhood, and it is not ADHD, it might be bipolar, depression or autism.
These websites provide very helpful info on getting an adhd diagnosis and adhd. Including having an adult adhd diagnosis "privately", funded by the nhs with a much shorter wait time.
https://adhduk.co.uk/diagnosis-pathways/
https://adhdaware.org.uk/what-is-adhd/getting-nhs-diagnosis/

There's also this channel called "how to adhd" which has loads of information about strategies for living with adhd ! :biggrin: helpful tips for everyone regardless of whether you have adhd
Original post by 0real1
You have to have symptoms as a child too. If you have no symptoms in childhood, and it is not ADHD, it might be bipolar, depression or autism.

autism is also a neurodevelopmental condition and does not suddenly appear in adulthood :smile: although OP has stated they've experienced this through their childhood anyway
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by Obolinda
These websites provide very helpful info on getting an adhd diagnosis and adhd. Including having an adult adhd diagnosis "privately", funded by the nhs with a much shorter wait time.

There's also this channel called "how to adhd" which has loads of information about strategies for living with adhd ! :biggrin:

autism is also a neurodevelopmental condition and does not suddenly appear in adulthood :smile: although OP has stated they've experienced this through their childhood anyway

I heard stories of adults being diagnosed with autism so I thought it can appear later. Oh I am sorry for writing wrong information :redface:
Original post by 0real1

doesn’t seem like bipolar though. yeah fast talking is one key symptom but i speak fast also and don’t have bipolar, seems more like anxiety or something. i think it could also be ADHD but if the OP has only just experienced these symptoms it’s more clear that it could be something that has caused this environmentally and anxiety can be triggered later in life so it makes more sense. but impulsiveness is a sign of a personality disorder but again, they haven’t got enough symptoms, therefore, it doesn’t seem like it unless they haven’t listed it all.it could be anything this is why we can’t give them a diagnostic as we aren’t professionals. self diagnosing isn’t the way to go either as some symptoms overlap and it could be different to what they’ve diagnosed them self with.
(edited 2 years ago)
Do you have serious issues focusing on things? What do you do/study?
Reply 8
Original post by gracieee16
doesn’t seem like bipolar though. yeah fast talking is one key symptom but i speak fast also and don’t have bipolar, seems more like anxiety or something. i think it could also be ADHD but if the OP has only just experienced these symptoms it’s more clear that it could be something that has caused this environmentally and anxiety can be triggered later in life so it makes more sense. but impulsiveness is a sign of a personality disorder but again, they haven’t got enough symptoms, therefore, it doesn’t seem like it unless they haven’t listed it all.it could be anything this is why we can’t give them a diagnostic as we aren’t professionals. self diagnosing isn’t the way to go either as some symptoms overlap and it could be different to what they’ve diagnosed them self with.

The main symptoms of ADHD are inattentiveness, and hyperactivity and impulsiveness. Usually the parents notice it between age 6-12. ADHD is not a minor condition, it usually affects daily life.
I have ADHD and my symptoms are I can't sit still, I will walk around endlessly, being late, talking excessively, needing subtitles for tv/movies, struggle to follow through with a movie because after 30 minutes I will get up and walk around, I cannot pay attention to someone talking to me, extreme difficulty to find concentration to study.
Original post by 0real1
The main symptoms of ADHD are inattentiveness, and hyperactivity and impulsiveness. Usually the parents notice it between age 6-12. ADHD is not a minor condition, it usually affects daily life.
I have ADHD and my symptoms are I can't sit still, I will walk around endlessly, being late, talking excessively, needing subtitles for tv/movies, struggle to follow through with a movie because after 30 minutes I will get up and walk around, I cannot pay attention to someone talking to me, extreme difficulty to find concentration to study.

ohhh! i really am sorry! i shouldn’t really state the things i said. does sound hard to cope with but you're strong and you have got this! :h:
Original post by Anonymous
I’m 19 and suddenly I feel like I cannot concentrate and have also picked up on my “usual” traits, such as excessive talking, impulsiveness, and being forgetful.
A colleague said that girls are often overlooked because their symptoms are different or become apparent later in life.

I don’t know what to do

Hopefully you'll get well soon
Speak to your GP and make sure you ask to go through the right to choose route as it is way quicker with getting a diagnosis. Speak to your teacher/personal tutor if you're still in school. Make sure you write a list with all the ways it is affecting your day-to-day life and provide some examples. Good luck with getting a diagnosis :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest