The Student Room Group

In a world where science now gets ignored

Scroll to see replies

gosh I'm so tired of people denying science? it's like ofc you have your own opinions but i saw a antivaxer saying the 'government wants to take over their brains with a vaccine' like? what's the government even going to do with a brain like that ?
Reply 2
Republicans arent exactly the smartest in this regard, not that its surprising. Its a pity the free speech amendment isnt amended to block people from spreading malicious falsehoods like this though. Thats not to say the democrats are any better, theyre just scientifically illiterate in other respects.
Then again, an excellent way to deal with this is to infect a few of them with smallpox and deny them the vaccine for it. That would certainly prove a point.
Reply 4

How is the OP 'ignoring science'? They made no comment on anything scientific other than Rand Paul and his ilk are tools, something that is demonstrably true in every regard.
Original post by Napp
How is the OP 'ignoring science'? They made no comment on anything scientific other than Rand Paul and his ilk are tools, something that is demonstrably true in every regard.

You made the wrong interpretation, Rand is the surgeon she is trusting.
Original post by lunariumxo
gosh I'm so tired of people denying science

As someone who is refusing the jab and doesn't trust the scientists, I'd just like to set the record straight. I'm not anti vax, I've had vaccines in the past. And I'm not anti science. But a lot of these scientists have been misleading people throughout this pandemic and in some cases outright lying to the public. Remember when this was only going to go on for 3 weeks? Remember when we were going to have 4000 deaths a day? Remember when we were going to lift all restrictions after the elderly were vaccinated? I'm fed up of the lies, the goalposts constantly moving, and it's got to a point where I simply don't feel that I can trust them anymore. I also don't like the way they are attacking and ridiculing anyone who raises concerns about the vaccine (Nicky Minaj)

If I'm going to get vaccinated, I need to know for sure that it's safe. I also need a guarantee that if the worst happens and the jab leaves me severely injured and unable to work that I will be provided for. But the government is apparently giving Pfizer and Moderna immunity from being sued. You're asking me to risk my health and my financial security on a vaccine that has been around less than a year, and the people who made it aren't liable if it all goes wrong. I don't think that's fair.
Just remember; according to Michael Gove, and therefore, according to this government; people are sick of hearing from experts… :wink:
Original post by Megacent
As someone who is refusing the jab and doesn't trust the scientists, I'd just like to set the record straight. I'm not anti vax, I've had vaccines in the past. And I'm not anti science. But a lot of these scientists have been misleading people throughout this pandemic and in some cases outright lying to the public. Remember when this was only going to go on for 3 weeks? Remember when we were going to have 4000 deaths a day? Remember when we were going to lift all restrictions after the elderly were vaccinated? I'm fed up of the lies, the goalposts constantly moving, and it's got to a point where I simply don't feel that I can trust them anymore. I also don't like the way they are attacking and ridiculing anyone who raises concerns about the vaccine (Nicky Minaj)

If I'm going to get vaccinated, I need to know for sure that it's safe. I also need a guarantee that if the worst happens and the jab leaves me severely injured and unable to work that I will be provided for. But the government is apparently giving Pfizer and Moderna immunity from being sued. You're asking me to risk my health and my financial security on a vaccine that has been around less than a year, and the people who made it aren't liable if it all goes wrong. I don't think that's fair.

Thats on you , if a scientist says 'it will last for 3 weeks' its not saying they know if for a fact its a reassurance to the panicking public. No disease lasts only for a month and people not getting the vaccine is the reason we aren't able to eradicate it. Additionally, Nicki Minaj said she wanted to further learn about the vaccines she never raised concerns or said to people not to get them.

A person doesn't go into science to brain fry your health and money , the vaccine is free and yes its been on for less then a year but would you prefer we took 5 years to find a vaccine and for most of the elderly population to die? You know what is aggravating is people were marching on the street saying why isn't the vaccine out and the 'government wants people to die' and when everyone got a vaccine people switched up real fast ?
Original post by lunariumxo
Thats on you , if a scientist says 'it will last for 3 weeks' its not saying they know if for a fact its a reassurance to the panicking public.

Well finding out the Chief Medical Adviser lied to the public doesn't reassure me at all. It's just made me lose trust in them. How can I trust their reassurances about the vaccine when they won't apologize for the misinformation they've spread?
Science is not being ignored. Scientists who fearmonger and lie to the public are being called out on their lies and they don't like it.
Reply 11
Science is not being ignored. Scientists who fearmonger and lie to the public are being called out on their lies and they don't like it.

Real experts have been been censored throughout the pandemic.

As we speak, Israel and UK, the two most vaccinated countries are struggling to get a grip on the rising cases, especially amongst the vaccinated. Censored experts warned about this.

Countries and states didn't introduce restrictions or implement vaccine programmes have currently got less cases than the UK.

We are hearing many accounts from double jabbed people who are ill right now with covid.

People are now being called for booster shots.

Some of the loudest voices in criticising people who don't wear masks and who don't want jabs are some of the fattest and unhealthy individuals I've seen.

However, cognitive dissonance.

So in short. You’re trusting the knowledge of Nicky Minaj more than that of renowned scientists that have studied their whole career for moments like this?

Bat crap crazy.
Reply 13
Original post by imlikeahermit
Just remember; according to Michael Gove, and therefore, according to this government; people are sick of hearing from experts… :wink:

Here's a clip where David Davis criticises one of his own colleagues, who happens to be Michael Gove: https://rumble.com/vnr0z1-vaccine-passports-a-solution-looking-for-a-problem-david-davis-mp.html

This same clip actually got censored by Youtube and they apparently overturned their decision: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-58915092
Reply 14

You don't need to justify yourself to anyone. There are many reasons why people would choose to make a decision for themselves, best summed up in this grid.

E7YlZWDWYAUgv1V.jpeg
Original post by Fruli
You don't need to justify yourself to anyone. There are many reasons why people would choose to make a decision for themselves, best summed up in this grid.

E7YlZWDWYAUgv1V.jpeg

More sun loungers for me then.
Reply 16
I observed a long time ago that some of the most unhealthy people that I've encountered in this life are also people with conditions that get managed through prescription medication via their doctors, whether it's a reliance on antidepressants, pain medication, cholesterol tablets, etc. I resolved a long time ago I will never be one of those people.

Those same people are often fat, have bad skin, bad hair and look like they are suffering from lethargy. It's been interesting over last 9 or so months watching over half of the nation marching to join that of chronically ill people. The only question I have at this point, is at which booster number will they decide enough is enough?
(edited 2 years ago)
So in short. You’re trusting the knowledge of Nicky Minaj more than that of renowned scientists that have studied their whole career for moments like this?

Bat crap crazy.

I accept that Chris Whitty is more knowledgeable about covid than Nicky Minaj. But he's lied to the public at least twice during the pandemic, so regardless of how well qualified he is, it's difficult to trust a word he says now. From what I can see, Minaj raised concerns about vaccine side effects. I don't see what's wrong with that, surely if somebody is worried they are correct to voice their concerns? Yet Whitty was absolutely vile towards her. As someone who has concerns myself, seeing the Chief Medical Adviser ridicule someone for raising their concerns doesn't make me more willing to get it. It just makes me more hesitant.
I accept that Chris Whitty is more knowledgeable about covid than Nicky Minaj. But he's lied to the public at least twice during the pandemic, so regardless of how well qualified he is, it's difficult to trust a word he says now. From what I can see, Minaj raised concerns about vaccine side effects. I don't see what's wrong with that, surely if somebody is worried they are correct to voice their concerns? Yet Whitty was absolutely vile towards her. As someone who has concerns myself, seeing the Chief Medical Adviser ridicule someone for raising their concerns doesn't make me more willing to get it. It just makes me more hesitant.

As if you’re actually entering into discussion about the opinion of Nicky Minaj. I’ll take the medical expertise of Whitty and co over some overhyped pop star. She was wrong, as are you.
As if you’re actually entering into discussion about the opinion of Nicky Minaj. I’ll take the medical expertise of Whitty and co over some overhyped pop star. She was wrong, as are you.

What was she wrong about exactly? What am I wrong about?

People have genuine concerns about whether this vaccine is safe, people are worried about side effects. And it feels like the scientists are just ignoring those concerns, or ridiculing people for having them. How do they think that's going to increase uptake? I don't feel that I can get vaccinated until I know it's safe and that I will be financially provided for if it leaves me unable to work/needing care. Is that really too much to ask?
(edited 2 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest