The Student Room Group

University transfer

I'm currently a 1st year English student at Southampton, and I just want to know how to apply for transfers to London unis. Is it worth it?
Original post by oohoney
I'm currently a 1st year English student at Southampton, and I just want to know how to apply for transfers to London unis. Is it worth it?

Do you want to transfer now? Or next year. Normally you have to contact the university your interested in to see if they'll accept you. Then you need to notify your university so they can do the process of transferring you. Speak to your personal tutor or advisor about it and they'll help you with the process
Reply 2
Original post by AbrahamP
Do you want to transfer now? Or next year. Normally you have to contact the university your interested in to see if they'll accept you. Then you need to notify your university so they can do the process of transferring you. Speak to your personal tutor or advisor about it and they'll help you with the process

Ah thank you for your reply!
Given that many top Unis are over-full as a result of over-inflated grades, your chances of a mid-course transfer to a London Uni are slim. And many Unis will not accept transfers simplyas a point of policy. You'd be better off dropping out now, taking a gap-year and reaplying. Or, of course you could just forget all about this and decide to like Southampton.
Then you need to notify your university so they can do the process of transferring you. Speak to your personal tutor or advisor about it and they'll help you with the process

Original post by oohoney
Ah thank you for your reply!

Current Unis have nothing to do with transfers - think about it, why would they help you go to a competitor Uni?
For a transfer now (unlikley - see my post above) you would need to contact Admissions at the other Uni urgently.
Current unis have to help with transfers. If a student chooses to transfer or drop out, the uni must respect that decision as long as its valid otherwise it'd be illegal. They have to assist with the process of transferring a student to another uni as they have the students details that needs to be transferred. If the other uni accepts you, they ask you to speak to your current university about starting the process of transferring.
They have to assist with the process of transferring a student to another uni as they have the students details that needs to be transferred.

Where are you getting this daft information from?
Transfers happen through UCAS - not some chummy phone call between Unis.
Original post by McGinger
Where are you getting this daft information from?
Transfers happen through UCAS - not some chummy phone call between Unis.

now now no need for insults :smile: . The current uni would have the details and starts the process on putting you back onto UCAS so you'd still need to contact your current uni about starting the process.
The current uni would have the details and starts the process on putting you back onto UCAS

Please give me your source for this - ie. a reliable souce.
Unis do not 'put you back on UCAS'.

Transfers happen through UCAS

You have to contact the current uni first telling them about wanting to transfer then as you put it ucas would handle it

We're here to help the OP not argue with one another. Best thing the OP can do is:

1. Call a uni they're interested in to see if they can be transferred.
2. Inform their current uni about wanting to transfer who will assist (Paperwork) and advise them if they can.

Nah AbrahamP is right on this, look at this:
https://www.ucas.com/undergraduate/student-life/getting-student-support/changing-or-leaving-your-course
This is cited on the link I showed:
‘The first thing to do is speak to your department office or course tutor.’ You have to discuss with them and then they will put you back on ucas.
:colondollar:
Original post by AmberPHG
Nah AbrahamP is right on this, look at this:
https://www.ucas.com/undergraduate/student-life/getting-student-support/changing-or-leaving-your-course
This is cited on the link I showed:
‘The first thing to do is speak to your department office or course tutor.’ You have to discuss with them and then they will put you back on ucas.
:colondollar:

No, the section you are quoting is about internal transfers at the same Uni.

McGinger knows his stuff and is correct. The only thing speaking to the current uni would do is:

A) they’ll try and remedy your reasons for leaving if possible
B) they’ll give you an academic reference

They absolutely won’t “do the paperwork” or “put you back on UCAS”.

@oohoney - Have a read of the Transfer FAQ. It explains the process clearly, as you received a lot of wonky advice here from people that are just guessing. (Both myself and McGinger work in admissions.)
Original post by Admit-One
No, the section you are quoting is about internal transfers at the same Uni.

McGinger knows his stuff and is correct. The only thing speaking to the current uni would do is:

A) they’ll try and remedy your reasons for leaving if possible
B) they’ll give you an academic reference

They absolutely won’t “do the paperwork” or “put you back on UCAS”.

@oohoney - Have a read of the Transfer FAQ. It explains the process clearly, as you received a lot of wonky advice here from people that are just guessing. (Both myself and McGinger work in admissions.)

I literally have gone through this process, this is not guessing. Here are some more sources of evidence, please don’t undermine other peoples experiences to stick up for your friend. This is not the place to do so.
Also the transfer FAQ you have sent is from 11 years ago, many university’s policies have changed. Instead, please read the university websites you wish to transfer to for changing courses.
These are some examples of uni
https://www.westminster.ac.uk/current-students/guides-and-policies/academic-matters/changing-your-course
‘If you're transferring to a different course, you'll need to get the signature of your current course leader and that of the prospective course leader before submitting the form to the registry office’

https://www.lsbu.ac.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/0009/96255/changing-courses-procedure.pdf
Page 3, 2. Eligibility/Requirements.

https://www.welfare.qmul.ac.uk/guides/resitting-interrupting-or-leaving-your-course-guide-international-students/transferring-new/
‘You can also collect the forms from the Student Enquiry Centre, ground floor, Queens’ Building, Mile End campus, the Student Office at the Whitechapel campus or the reception. The guidance notes accompanying the forms explain how to fill them out and where to submit them’
Note this is just one short paragraph of explaining what they do, please read through.

https://www.city.ac.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/0019/566200/Student-Transfer-Policy.pdf
‘City students who wish to transfer to another Institution should notify the relevant Course Office in the first instance to begin the withdraw process. Once your withdrawal has been concluded, the confirmation of your achievement at the Institution will be provided to you by us.’

Universities will help you to transfer to some extent. Wish for best @oohoney, transferring uni is nervous and stressful. But it’ll be well worth it if you find a course you genuinely enjoy! :h:
The only time it might be possible for a university to help is if you are within the first few days of the course and hoping to switch elsewhere through clearing that year (not an option for 2021 starts - ucas closed clearing completely earlier this week). The current university would need to both withdraw your enrolment AND release you into clearing for an in-year switch of university. But that’s pretty rare (albeit something we’ve seen more of this year - still tiny numbers)
Reply 14
Year1 student at bath spa doing architecture but have the option to transfer to University of Reading but from year 1 due to bath spa being in the process of accreditation. Expected to be completed by the time I graduate. Do I transfer to an established university with a reputable architecture course that has accreditation?
Reply 15
Original post by Jas105
Year1 student at bath spa doing architecture but have the option to transfer to University of Reading but from year 1 due to bath spa being in the process of accreditation. Expected to be completed by the time I graduate. Do I transfer to an established university with a reputable architecture course that has accreditation?

I would recommend it if you want to become an accredited architect as you NEED the accreditation unless you want to sit (and fund) separate exams.
Original post by Jas105

Hey @Jas105,
Sorry we missed this - hoping that you've made your decision! If you need any information, advice or support, please let us know and we'll do our best!
Kat :smile:
3rd Year History Undergraduate

Quick Reply

Latest