The Student Room Group

does anyone find it difficult to lose or gain weight?

I've only heard of people who lose weight easily or gain it easily or both. But my weight doesn't really change much, even when I eat a lot or eat little. Anyone else?
Reply 1
same here. i tried to lose weight by eating less or healthier and didn't change, unfortunately even if i exercise everyday. it' frustrating lmao
Hard to keep it on.
It doesn't matter whether you eat less or high, it depends upon how much calories you consumed and how much burned. That is why it is recommended to go for a long walk or join a gym so that the calories can be burned. I followed same thing and added these foods in my diet: Black Beans, Garlic, Quinoa, Dates (full list here: https://www.dieticiangeetanjali.com/best-foods-that-helps-to-lose-weight/) that help me to loose weight. Best of luck.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by nehapartha
same here. i tried to lose weight by eating less or healthier and didn't change, unfortunately even if i exercise everyday. it' frustrating lmao

Because metabolisms adapt, losing weight is not as simple as eating less and exercising more.
Reply 5
Always hard for me to gain weight. I've tried it multiple times but I can never stick with it because it requires constant effort and planning to eat so much. Just missing breakfast makes it almost impossible to reach enough calories/protein by the end of the day.
Reply 6
Original post by miser
Always hard for me to gain weight. I've tried it multiple times but I can never stick with it because it requires constant effort and planning to eat so much. Just missing breakfast makes it almost impossible to reach enough calories/protein by the end of the day.

yeah I know right??? I'm quite thin so my legs look like sticks and because of this I tried eating more but it's so tiring, it feels like a chore - and my weight doesn't really change. At most I'm looking at gaining a couple hundred grams, even when I ate a lot/more than I did before for like a few weeks? But then if I revert back to eating normally, I go back to my old weight.

There are days when I can't be bothered to eat, whether it's because I'm lazy or just not hungry and even when I am hungry sometimes I just can't be bothered to make myself something so I just don't bother - yet my weight never goes down/no change in my physique. Like how is this possible??? I also don't do much exercise (I just go out for 30min walks) which is not good
hard for me to lose weight - due to my pcos. i gained so much weight in one week the weekend before, my trousers were so baggy at work, then a week later they were tight and my butt almost created a hole. not good and my thighs and stomach was a no go. so im looking to go on a proper diet.
Reply 8
Original post by gracieee16
hard for me to lose weight - due to my pcos. i gained so much weight in one week the weekend before, my trousers were so baggy at work, then a week later they were tight and my butt almost created a hole. not good and my thighs and stomach was a no go. so im looking to go on a proper diet.

wow I never knew people could gain weight that quickly, especially in one week :eek:
Reply 9
Well I have a very slow metabolic rate, when I exercise of course it does increase but I do normally have to keep an eye on what I’m eating. It’s not all that difficult for me to lose weight, as I’m going to the gym 6 days a week.
Original post by heart2you
wow I never knew people could gain weight that quickly, especially in one week :eek:

yup! it’s mad! can never get a summer body
Original post by Call2Jamespaul
It doesn't matter whether you eat less or high, it depends upon how much calories you consumed and how much burned.

Exactly this. It also needs to be a sustained change being made. One day or even week of eating in a calorie surplus (to gain weight) or calorie deficit (to lose weight) is unlikely to make a huge difference to weight. As many people know and go off, you need 3500 extra calories to gain 1 pound or 3500 fewer to lose 1 pound (there are some other factors too). That's 500 over or under what you burn a day which is quite a significant amount. You may be able to keep this going for a day or even a week but then give up. So smaller amounts of change over a longer period of time would be more sustainable. People also often under or over estimate how many calories they eat. Often in the short term, calorie counting with apps like myfitnesspal can be helpful :smile:
Reply 12
Original post by BurstingBubbles
Exactly this. It also needs to be a sustained change being made. One day or even week of eating in a calorie surplus (to gain weight) or calorie deficit (to lose weight) is unlikely to make a huge difference to weight. As many people know and go off, you need 3500 extra calories to gain 1 pound or 3500 fewer to lose 1 pound (there are some other factors too). That's 500 over or under what you burn a day which is quite a significant amount. You may be able to keep this going for a day or even a week but then give up. So smaller amounts of change over a longer period of time would be more sustainable. People also often under or over estimate how many calories they eat. Often in the short term, calorie counting with apps like myfitnesspal can be helpful :smile:

does how much calories you burn depend on your height and weight? How about for needing to consume 3500 extra calories?
does how much calories you burn depend on your height and weight? How about for needing to consume 3500 extra calories?

Height, weight, and activity levels will influence how many calories you burn see: https://www.calculator.net/calorie-calculator.html - But generally speaking 3500 cals = 1 pound, whatever your height and weight. There are other factors though e.g. carbs and salt in excess can lead to water retention so that may seem like someone has put on weight/fat but often it's water retention and can be reduced quite quickly.

Obviously your height and weight may influence how that pound extra or less would look e.g. if you're smaller a few extra pounds may be more noticeable than if you're taller.
Reply 14
Original post by BurstingBubbles
Height, weight, and activity levels will influence how many calories you burn see: https://www.calculator.net/calorie-calculator.html - But generally speaking 3500 cals = 1 pound, whatever your height and weight. There are other factors though e.g. carbs and salt in excess can lead to water retention so that may seem like someone has put on weight/fat but often it's water retention and can be reduced quite quickly.

Obviously your height and weight may influence how that pound extra or less would look e.g. if you're smaller a few extra pounds may be more noticeable than if you're taller.

so I just calculated how many calories I need to consume in order to maintain my weight using the link but I'm pretty sure I consume more calories than the figure the calculator showed (the figure is quite low) yet my weight is the same. May this be due to other factors (as you said)???
so I just calculated how many calories I need to consume in order to maintain my weight using the link but I'm pretty sure I consume more calories than the figure the calculator showed (the figure is quite low) yet my weight is the same. May this be due to other factors (as you said)???

Did.you take into account your activity and exercise? It is a rough guide but I did manage to lose 3 stone by calculating my approx. calorie burn and eating 500 cals under that a day.

Have you ever tracked what you eat in terms of calories? (properly e.g. using a tracking app). Some days I think I've eaten loads of calories and I haven't. Or I think I've not eaten that many and I've eaten more than I think :tongue:
(edited 2 years ago)
I've been trying to lose like 25-40 or more pounds for 10 years. But because of mental illness, it never happened but I've recently (since a few days ago) given up on trying to become slim because while my mental health is still ****ed, I won't stop my bad eating habits. I'm almost overweight.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 17
yeah I know right??? I'm quite thin so my legs look like sticks and because of this I tried eating more but it's so tiring, it feels like a chore - and my weight doesn't really change. At most I'm looking at gaining a couple hundred grams, even when I ate a lot/more than I did before for like a few weeks? But then if I revert back to eating normally, I go back to my old weight.

There are days when I can't be bothered to eat, whether it's because I'm lazy or just not hungry and even when I am hungry sometimes I just can't be bothered to make myself something so I just don't bother - yet my weight never goes down/no change in my physique. Like how is this possible??? I also don't do much exercise (I just go out for 30min walks) which is not good

The best success I had was with using a weight gain powder. It makes it much more convenient. But you're still stuck with the problem of being full / nauseous all day from consuming so much. My body is like, why are you doing this to me.
To help with weight loss, you can download Google Fit onto your phone and take long walks, it will track how many KM and minutes you have moved which will aid in weight loss. It worked for me.
Original post by gracieee16

Hi im 31 and I have PCOS too. I've basically had a mild eating disorder since I've been about 15 cos this thing was making me chubby. Can we discuss this in a PM maybe as I'm trying to find some advice on how to lead a healthy lifestyle?
I want to get a better relationship with food but I feel scared food cos this thing makes me gain weight like crazy. Please help!

Quick Reply

Latest