The Student Room Group

[Official] Cambridge English Applicants 2022

Not sure who's supposed to start this thread (and if it's even 'official'...), but, with applications in, I thought I'd kick things off.

1. A-Level subjects & predictions
2. 'Supercurriculars' & personal statement
3. GCSEs
4. ELAT prep
5. College & reason
6. The inevitable question: why Cambridge? (in other words, why not the 'other'...?)
7. State/ private/ grammar (more optional)

I imagine this will become more of an ELAT discussion thread in the coming weeks, but would be great to get to know each other!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Rockyd123
Not sure who's supposed to start this thread (and if it's even 'official'...), but, with applications in, I thought I'd kick things off.

1. A-Level subjects & predictions
2. 'Supercurriculars' & personal statement
3. GCSEs
4. ELAT prep1. English, History, Politics (3A*)
2. Reading, lecture or two, one MOOC.
3. 10 A*s (although these are covid grades)
4. We don't talk about that...
5. Pembroke -- great for English, central, academic, beautiful
6. Cambridge course is better: more modern, nothing of the likes of Beowulf, practical criticism
7. State

Definitely time to start a thread for this, especially as the 'other' : ) have one.
5. College & reason
6. The inevitable question: why Cambridge? (in other words, why not the 'other'...?)
7. State/ private/ grammar (more optional)

I imagine this will become more of an ELAT discussion thread in the coming weeks, but would be great to get to know each other!

1. English, History, Politics (3A*)
2. Reading, lecture or two, one MOOC.
3. 10 A*s (although these are covid grades)
4. We don't talk about that...
5. Pembroke -- great for English, central, academic, beautiful
6. Cambridge course is better: more modern, nothing of the likes of Beowulf, practical criticism
7. State

Definitely time to start a thread for this, especially as the 'other' : ) have one.
1. A*AA - English Literature, Sociology, and English Language
2. MOOC's and school productions
3. 7 grade 7s and 2 grade 8s
4. Had a look at the format of the questions and some of the types of extracts that may come up
5. I did an open application and have been assigned 'Murray Edwards' - need to find out a bit more about it as I don't actually know much about it!
6. I really liked how much the course has to offer and being able to explore lots of different types of literature
7. State
1. A*AA - English Literature, History and Religious Studies
2. Reading, lectures, LAMDA
3. 4 Grade 9s, 2 Grade 8s, 2 Grade 7s and 1 Grade 6 (but that's biology, we don't talk about that!)
4. Had a read through some different extracts, will be practising the papers
5. Jesus College - I visited there and adored it, beautiful grounds and very welcoming people
6. The atmosphere, the course's emphasis on literature through the ages really appeals to me and the focused, one-on-one style of teaching there looks incredible.
7. State
Original post by rgreatorex28
1. A*AA - English Literature, History and Religious Studies
2. Reading, lectures, LAMDA
3. 4 Grade 9s, 2 Grade 8s, 2 Grade 7s and 1 Grade 6 (but that's biology, we don't talk about that!)
4. Had a read through some different extracts, will be practising the papers
5. Jesus College - I visited there and adored it, beautiful grounds and very welcoming people
6. The atmosphere, the course's emphasis on literature through the ages really appeals to me and the focused, one-on-one style of teaching there looks incredible.
7. State

Nice! What type of stuff did you read for your application?
hey guys wondering if you’ve thought about what essays you’d submit? idk if it would be weird to submit an extract of my NEA
Original post by learningkearner
hey guys wondering if you’ve thought about what essays you’d submit? idk if it would be weird to submit an extract of my NEA

Unlike Oxford, I don't think Cambridge has a word limit for written work. You could submit your entire NEA then?
On my college’s website it says you can’t submit coursework as your written work…. does that rule out NEA then? I was going to send my NEA on Jane Eyre & feminism, I’m really proud of it and don’t have anything else as good I don’t think. Panicking now! Any insight?
Original post by BeccaSX_x
On my college’s website it says you can’t submit coursework as your written work…. does that rule out NEA then? I was going to send my NEA on Jane Eyre & feminism, I’m really proud of it and don’t have anything else as good I don’t think. Panicking now! Any insight?

Which college is this for? I would assume that it rules out NEA but may be worth emailing the college to check?
Original post by ideasoforder
Nice! What type of stuff did you read for your application?

I'm really interested in diversifying my literature tastes, so I read Toshikazu Kawaguchi's Before the Coffee Gets Cold, which is a translated Japenese novella - I'd definitely recommend it if you're a fan of magical realism! So I talked about that in my PS, about reading literature from different cultures. I also mentioned reading The Song of Achilles by Madeline Miller for a more contemporary take on tragedy for my Aspects of Tragedy A-Level unit. Another novella I mentioned was This Is Pleasure by Mary Gaitskill which is published on The New Yorker website - it details workplace sexual harassment, so I referenced my passion for modern feminist literature.
What kind of books did you all read?
anyone have any elat prep? apart from practice questions 😭
Reply 11
So annoying that so much of it is copyrighted 😩
Original post by Awest03
So annoying that so much of it is copyrighted 😩

what?
Original post by succubus666
what?

i think because sm of the elat texts they use are copyrighted:/ really hard to practice have to open like ten tabs
Original post by rgreatorex28
I'm really interested in diversifying my literature tastes, so I read Toshikazu Kawaguchi's Before the Coffee Gets Cold, which is a translated Japenese novella - I'd definitely recommend it if you're a fan of magical realism! So I talked about that in my PS, about reading literature from different cultures. I also mentioned reading The Song of Achilles by Madeline Miller for a more contemporary take on tragedy for my Aspects of Tragedy A-Level unit. Another novella I mentioned was This Is Pleasure by Mary Gaitskill which is published on The New Yorker website - it details workplace sexual harassment, so I referenced my passion for modern feminist literature.
What kind of books did you all read?

Before the Coffee Gets Cold!! What a gorgeous, thought provoking book. I know this isn’t a book club thread but I haven’t come across anyone else who’s read it before. What did you think of the ending?
Reply 15
Original post by succubus666
what?

All the practice papers I find on their website 4/6 texts aren’t published bc of copyright ?
Hi guys! I'm a current second year doing English at Christ's College, feel free to ask me any questions. Good luck with your applications!
Original post by skittish
Hi guys! I'm a current second year doing English at Christ's College, feel free to ask me any questions. Good luck with your applications!

Hey! I was just wondering about submitted work. I only have a few essays I’m really proud of (because of COVID we haven’t written many) but they are for AS content because my school separates it. I know you just have your experience to answer by but just wanted advice!
Original post by learningkearner
Hey! I was just wondering about submitted work. I only have a few essays I’m really proud of (because of COVID we haven’t written many) but they are for AS content because my school separates it. I know you just have your experience to answer by but just wanted advice!

It's hard to give an answer because it really depends on your course/college and what they've asked for! But submitting AS/equivalent content was okay in my case.
Reply 19
Hi, I'm trying to complete the cover letter for my submission of assessed work, but I don't have access to a printer. Would I be able to digitally fill out the cover letter, or is it required to print it out and fill out the cover letter in writing?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending