The Student Room Group

Expired ID good for drinking?

My sister's (16) visiting me soon and she wants to get an alcoholic drink. I know that she's good to do it with me (21+) having a meal but will she be id-d, and would an expired bus pass with her dob on it work?
Is this in the UK?
Reply 2
Original post by GabiAbi84
Is this in the UK?

Yes!
Original post by MusicPanda
My sister's (16) visiting me soon and she wants to get an alcoholic drink. I know that she's good to do it with me (21+) having a meal but will she be id-d, and would an expired bus pass with her dob on it work?

I doubt it. Dont people get *****y fake IDs online for 20 quid these days? These worked maybe 50% of the time.

Alternatively just get a table in Spoons at the back
Yes!

A lot of places scan IDs, it flashes up the actual age of the person it says it belongs to, and whether it's an expired ID or not, and in these places it will be rejected. Also if she's trying to be 21, even without scanning it; no ID expires after just a few years, most are valid for 10 years and bouncers know this, so they will know it won't be hers just by looking at it.
(edited 2 years ago)
Yes!

Then a bus pass is unlikely to be accepted as proof of age. Most places will only accept certain ID such as a passport.
(edited 2 years ago)
I use my passport and it always works even though it expired months ago
I don't think so ........
Reply 8
Original post by GabiAbi84
Then a bus pass is unlikely to be accepted as proof of age. Most places will only accept certain ID such as a passport.

Is that even if it has her date of birth on it? Like she needed a passport to get that pass?
Reply 9
Just to clarify - not trying to get a fake ID. She's 16 so she can legally drink with me with a meal. Her bus pass is specific for young people (up to 16) and has a photo and date of birth on it. Idk if that'd change anything?
Is that even if it has her date of birth on it? Like she needed a passport to get that pass?

Most likely, bus passes just aren't seen as valid ID, not standardised enough so far harder for doorstaff to check.

In the 90s/00 they were a lot more lax, a hand written college NUS/library card would often work, but they're a lot tighter now with scanning IDs, Challenge 25 and not taking pretty much anything but passports or drivers licences. I doubt most of them even take student cards outside of the local unions etc.
To be honest, it depends on the venue and whether they're paying more attention to her DOB than the expiry date.
I don’t think any ID is good to drink tbh

Yup, most places will only accept certain types of ID. And a bus pass isn’t one of them.
If she has a passport-use that.

Quick Reply

Latest