The Student Room Group
On campus at University of Greenwich
University of Greenwich
London

Entry criteria

I am studying a HE Health professionals course and looking to study a Paramedic Science degree the next academic year. I am a bit confused with the entry criteria because I don't know how the UCAS point system works, and not sure how many qualification I'd need to meet the criteria. Is there a specific limit for passes, merits and distinctions? Thanks!
(edited 2 years ago)
Hey,

Universities have different requirements regarding UCAS points (and other factors). Some only accept A-levels that meet the UCAS entry requirements while some universities ALSO accept HE access courses, so be sure to check that your choices accept both.

Grading HE diplomas breaks down into pass/merit/distinction on EACH topic/subject. With a total of 60 credits.

(These 60 credits can be split, for example, 12 at level 2 and 48 at level 3 etc).

Each subject can be equivalent to 3, 6, 9 credits (Dependent on how 'heavy' it is)

If you get graded 2 distinctions for two separate subjects both worth 6 credits and then you only pass the other subjects you final grade would be:
6 credits at distinction 54 at a pass

So if a universities requirements are: D: 15 credits P: 30 credits

You would need to get at least 15 credits at distinction (Usually be a few different topics that equate to 15 credits)
and at least 30 credits at a pass.

To confuse things even more the university may say that out of the 15 credits at distinction ATLEAST 9 must be from a related science (Human biology ect)

Hope this helps, it may not be the best explanation :biggrin:
- Drew
On campus at University of Greenwich
University of Greenwich
London
Original post by Dejesus
I am studying a HE Health professionals course and looking to study a Paramedic Science degree the next academic year. I am a bit confused with the entry criteria because I don't know how the UCAS point system works, and not sure how many qualification I'd need to meet the criteria. Is there a specific limit for passes, merits and distinctions? Thanks!

@Trolly42b gives you a great breakdown of the structure of Access courses. Have you got English and maths GCSE at grade 4 or above - this is usually a requirement of any paramedic degree.
Reply 3
Original post by Reality Check
@Trolly42b gives you a great breakdown of the structure of Access courses. Have you got English and maths GCSE at grade 4 or above - this is usually a requirement of any paramedic degree.

@Trolly42b Thank you that was really helpful! :smile:

@Reality Check Functionals skill, English and Maths at level 2.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending