The Student Room Group

I’m 24 and was refused to buy alcohol for no ID

I just wanted to get a bottle of wine and have been refused even though I’m 24 turning 25 soon. It’s very frustrating when this happens . I’m well above the legal age so why is this happening to me ?? I also do look my age so it’s ridiculous to be treated this way .

Scroll to see replies

About a decade ago I got refused in a store in Florida, USA.
I was 39 at the time!
Apparently it was "my cute baby face!"

Take it as a compliment, and carry ID!
Original post by Anonymous
I just wanted to get a bottle of wine and have been refused even though I’m 24 turning 25 soon. It’s very frustrating when this happens . I’m well above the legal age so why is this happening to me ?? I also do look my age so it’s ridiculous to be treated this way .

Its called Challenge 25 for a reason, if they reasonably feel that in any way you could be under 25 (because so many people these days look older or younger than they are, and could potentially be under 18), it's a legal requirement for them to ask.

What if you were undercover from trading standards and you were actually 17 (or 19 or whatever and looked like you could be 17, how do they know if you're 17 or 19?), and they sold you alcohol without ID? Of course you'd go back to your trading standards employer and report this, because it's your job to do so.

The shop then gets in very serious trouble and can have its licence to sell any alcohol to anyone ever again of any age taken away forever. This can and does happen, Google will give you so many results of undercover shoppers. Trading standards will then investigate how many other people they are serving without ID, and how many of them could be under 18.
(edited 2 years ago)

I got asked when I was in my 30's. Take it as a compliment as when you get older, you will be happy for looking so youthful :biggrin:

stop being seIf-centered. its annoying, but they dont know you, your age, and they aren't going to jeopardise their (as the other anon said) License by assuming you are not underage. AIso its to prevent <18s from trying to do the same.
Reply 5
Because they have a law to follow and they dont want to get sacked or have legal proceedings put against them just because you want a tipple. You know the law and that you should carry ID if you want to buy alcohol. Hardly seems appropriate to blame the cashier for your mistake in not bringing it...

Most places policy is challenge 25 & they reserve the right to refuse service.

Whilst it may be tedious & seem excessive the rules around alcohol licensing are very strict if you think the penalties & rules are unreasonable best to take this up with your local MP.
I will say this. A server who does not ask and serves someone underage can get an official warning from their supervisor. So for them its better to ask for ID than not at all.
Same I get asked for ID when I look like I'm in my late 20's according to most people. I guess they want to be sure and dont want to risk getting into trouble
Its completely fair to ask for proof

Even if you look your age you might not be, suck it up and take your ID next time. Some people don’t wanna take the risk.
Original post by 𝓖𝓱𝓸𝓼𝓽𝓵𝓪𝓭𝔂
I got asked when I was in my 30's. Take it as a compliment as when you get older, you will be happy for looking so youthful :biggrin:

I guess looking younger than you are is both a blessing and a curse 😭
Original post by mnot
Most places policy is challenge 25 & they reserve the right to refuse service.

Whilst it may be tedious & seem excessive the rules around alcohol licensing are very strict if you think the penalties & rules are unreasonable best to take this up with your local MP.

By the looks of it even when I’m 30 they will still ID me
Original post by Little pecker
Its completely fair to ask for proof

Even if you look your age you might not be, suck it up and take your ID next time. Some people don’t wanna take the risk.

I don’t always have my ID with me so why am I worrying about having it around when I’m not underage, it’s silly to be policing adults
Unfortunately that’s licensing laws for you.
Always have ID with you if you want to be buying alcohol-then you won’t have an issue.
Original post by GabiAbi84
Unfortunately that’s licensing laws for you.
Always have ID with you if you want to be buying alcohol-then you won’t have an issue.

But what age do they stop trying to ID you ?? When will I finally be treated like the adult that I am ??
I don’t always have my ID with me so why am I worrying about having it around when I’m not underage, it’s silly to be policing adults

Well you should, there’s no way to be certain of your age and it’s not worth the risk for them for £2 profit.

carey your ID next time.
But what age do they stop trying to ID you ?? When will I finally be treated like the adult that I am ??

When you reasonably look over 25, or if they choose to, never.
It’s your responsibility as an adult to carry ID if you want to buy age restricted items.
A random stranger isn’t worth the fine and punishment for serving someone underage.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by 𝓖𝓱𝓸𝓼𝓽𝓵𝓪𝓭𝔂
I will say this. A server who does not ask and serves someone underage can get an official warning from their supervisor. So for them its better to ask for ID than not at all.

And it's also a criminal act for which the server -- personally -- can be fined up to £5,000.
Reply 18
Original post by Vortexswirls
Its called Challenge 25 for a reason, if they reasonably feel that in any way you could be under 25 (because so many people these days look older or younger than they are, and could potentially be under 18), it's a legal requirement for them to ask.

What if you were undercover from trading standards and you were actually 17 (or 19 or whatever and looked like you could be 17, how do they know if you're 17 or 19?), and they sold you alcohol without ID? Of course you'd go back to your trading standards employer and report this, because it's your job to do so.

The shop then gets in very serious trouble and can have its licence to sell any alcohol to anyone ever again of any age taken away forever. This can and does happen, Google will give you so many results of undercover shoppers. Trading standards will then investigate how many other people they are serving without ID, and how many of them could be under 18.

This. I used to work at an events place who regularly had undercover shoppers trying to get served. I saw a few people sacked on the spot (we were locums/casuals) for this, even though the person they served did not look under 25 at all. Better safe than sorry

It's not them saying you are not an adult you probably do look over 18, but it's challenge 25. You have to look well over the age of 25 for them not to ID you and really, in reality what does a 25 year old look like? Not that much different to 27 or 23 etc. and some people just naturally look younger or older. I'm 30 and do still get IDed, it's not a big deal to carry ID with you - I personally think it should be made legal for EVERYONE to carry ID. There was no way in hell I was risking a massive fine and losing my license to serve when it was my job, no matter who I offended.

If you were younger, the news article would read “Big Supermarket sells alcohol to underaged people”.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending