The Student Room Group

When are 2022 Central Saint Martins Foundation Applications opening?

Hi! Im looking to apply to central saint martins for a foundation course in art and design. i am currently working on building my portfolio and preparing my application but on the website i cant find any information on how/when applications will open for us. I'm just scared i'll miss it or the deadline is much sooner then i expect ( from what ive seen its in March?). Also does anyone know what the application process will be like? Is it still going to be online this year including interviews and sending in our portfolio?

Thanks hope someone can help!! <3

Scroll to see replies

Following! It would be good to know since I am working on my portfolio and need to see how much time I have....
Original post by Robkatash
Following! It would be good to know since I am working on my portfolio and need to see how much time I have....

Oh cool! I’m wondering what you’d like to apply for? I’m looking to do foundation in art and design at CSM so I can get a permanent place in fashion and textiles or fashion communication
Original post by isobel_lamont
Oh cool! I’m wondering what you’d like to apply for? I’m looking to do foundation in art and design at CSM so I can get a permanent place in fashion and textiles or fashion communication

Foundation Diagnostic at CSM as I want the fashion element. I don't know if it's a better idea to go for just the Foundation in Fashion and Textile though...
Reply 4
Hi! I'm applying for foundation art & design at csm too. I've not actually studied art before though so I'm trying to find bits of work / sketches and designs I've done over the past year to put in my portfolio. What kind of things are you guys including in yours? I've heard the uni likes to see your design process and idea development, I've included a few things so far (on my digital portfolio) but I feel like I may be too much and looks messy hahha
Original post by Robkatash
Foundation Diagnostic at CSM as I want the fashion element. I don't know if it's a better idea to go for just the Foundation in Fashion and Textile though...

I did a course this summer at CSM and I told them I’m interested in fashion and textiles as well but was still a little unsure as I haven’t actually explore all areas of art that much so the tutor said diagnostic seemed best. I think diagnostic is good since you still are able to intertwine your interest in fashion into all areas of art.
Original post by Miagall
Hi! I'm applying for foundation art & design at csm too. I've not actually studied art before though so I'm trying to find bits of work / sketches and designs I've done over the past year to put in my portfolio. What kind of things are you guys including in yours? I've heard the uni likes to see your design process and idea development, I've included a few things so far (on my digital portfolio) but I feel like I may be too much and looks messy hahha

I’m doing art and design BTEC but that’s actually the art I’ve really done. I did a course at CSM this summer and they gave a lot of great advice so I’ll give u a bit of what they told me!
- the presentation of your portfolio should be really simple and clear to let the pieces breath and nothing is distracting
- they want a wide range of material ( not necessarily skilfully done but just showing development and exploration rather then just sticking to the same thing)
- they want to see your personality done copy the way other people draw or work. Find your own style of sketching and trust the way you think as that what they’re interested in)
How have you already started your digital portfolio? I thought they were allowing people to apply around February? Anyways I think I’m gonna include a lot of textile and textured work as I love doing things like that. I also grew up in Thailand ( even tho I’m English) so I think I’m gonna do a lot of pieces inspired by Thai art and craft!!
Sry this is so long hahaha but hope it helps
I’m doing art and design BTEC but that’s actually the art I’ve really done. I did a course at CSM this summer and they gave a lot of great advice so I’ll give u a bit of what they told me!
- the presentation of your portfolio should be really simple and clear to let the pieces breath and nothing is distracting
- they want a wide range of material ( not necessarily skilfully done but just showing development and exploration rather then just sticking to the same thing)
- they want to see your personality done copy the way other people draw or work. Find your own style of sketching and trust the way you think as that what they’re interested in)
How have you already started your digital portfolio? I thought they were allowing people to apply around February? Anyways I think I’m gonna include a lot of textile and textured work as I love doing things like that. I also grew up in Thailand ( even tho I’m English) so I think I’m gonna do a lot of pieces inspired by Thai art and craft!!

HI! I just submitted my application form at CSM and received an email from UAL regarding portfolio request. They told me that I have to submit 15 pages of portfolio in 10 days, which is on November 28. I'm also worried of the things Im gonna include because 10 days is such a short time! I don't know if I submitted my form early or I'm just right on time tho... Anyways, what I would suggest is before you submit your application form, make sure you already finish your portfolio! ☺️
Original post by victoriamistad
HI! I just submitted my application form at CSM and received an email from UAL regarding portfolio request. They told me that I have to submit 15 pages of portfolio in 10 days, which is on November 28. I'm also worried of the things Im gonna include because 10 days is such a short time! I don't know if I submitted my form early or I'm just right on time tho... Anyways, what I would suggest is before you submit your application form, make sure you already finish your portfolio! ☺️

I swear on the website it says deadline is February!! I’m completely unprepared. Maybe I’ll double check and email someone at CSM just to be sure but maybe that is the problem because it does say soon after your application you will receive an email requesting additional stuff like portfolio. Anyways good luck!
Original post by victoriamistad

I’ve linked a photo of where it says the deadline for application is February.
I’ve linked a photo of where it says the deadline for application is February.

HI! Yes the deadline for the application form is February. I also thought the portfolio is due that same month however once you submit your application form on or before Feb 2022,they will email you when you will submit your portfolio. It is also ritten in the course page that CSM will only give applicants short time to prepare... In my case, they only gave me 10 days to submit my portfolio on PebblePad which is sad...
I swear on the website it says deadline is February!! I’m completely unprepared. Maybe I’ll double check and email someone at CSM just to be sure but maybe that is the problem because it does say soon after your application you will receive an email requesting additional stuff like portfolio. Anyways good luck!

OMG same!! You can actually start submitting your application form already, which what I did. But I wasn't prepared for the portfolio due in 10 days! Goodluck also with your application!! We got this! ☺️☺️

Hi, I am currently doing IB art HL and planning on applying for the CSM foundation in art and design. I have been working on my portfolio for quite a while now and I also attended the CSM 5 day portfolio building program. My main concern is that I think my pages are too busy. I feel like in some I have way too many words or images and I don't quite know how to improve. Any suggestion on what I should keep in mind while working on the layout of my portfolio?
Reply 13

Hey thank you! that's really helpful :smile: I applied quite a few weeks ago but I've not heard anything yet about sending my portfolio. I have about half of it done and I should get it finished soon hahha.
Reply 14
Hey I sent my portfolio today aaaa! Has anyone had an interview invitation yet? <3
Original post by Miagall
Hey I sent my portfolio today aaaa! Has anyone had an interview invitation yet? <3

Hi! I've also submitted my portfolio last month but I haven't heard back from them. But I think they would get in touch with us next year hopefully. Anyway, I was just curious if they gave you a week to submit your portfolio as well? Because in my case, upon submitting my application form and personal statement, they only gave me 10 days to submit, which was stressful! haha
Original post by Ella4559
Hi, I am currently doing IB art HL and planning on applying for the CSM foundation in art and design. I have been working on my portfolio for quite a while now and I also attended the CSM 5 day portfolio building program. My main concern is that I think my pages are too busy. I feel like in some I have way too many words or images and I don't quite know how to improve. Any suggestion on what I should keep in mind while working on the layout of my portfolio?

Hi! I attended UAL's Webinar about Portfolio Advice and one of the things I've learned is to use imaginary lines when you layout your portfolio pages. Also, there should be a segment in PebblePad where you can write a caption and talk more about what it is about your portfolio pages or artworks that you've included. Hope this helps!
I am having the same issue. I have applied for the Foundation in Art and Design at CSM however I have not heard back yet about sending in a portfolio. When would this normally happen? Is it automatic? Is there a specific deadline?would be so helpful to know this!!
Original post by mia_paris
I am having the same issue. I have applied for the Foundation in Art and Design at CSM however I have not heard back yet about sending in a portfolio. When would this normally happen? Is it automatic? Is there a specific deadline?would be so helpful to know this!!

heyy, as far as i know. I think theyll prolly wait for a week or maybe 10 days at max till they ask u to submit ur portfolio. Im not sure tho so dont freak out. All the best!!
Original post by Miagall

hey, so i actually have this counsellor from this Organisation thats the rep for UAL in my country. and she told me that interviews wont be happening this year.

Quick Reply

Latest