The Student Room Group
Students on campus
York St John University
York
Visit website

York St. John university revision help

Hi! I’m a student at York St John University studying Geography, the course is 100% course work and was wondering how would I revise ? As I’ve never really revised before and I really want to do the best I can but I’m not sure how to revise or what to do for independent study, atm I’ve just been reading and making notes on journal articles and going over lecture slides and making notes which takes me about 2 hours a day.

Thank you !
What? Am i reading this correctly? If Your course is 100 percent coursework then what will you be revising for if you don't have any exams???
Students on campus
York St John University
York
Visit website
Reply 2
I am under the impression I need to revise idk first time doing Uni xD
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymy0us
What? Am i reading this correctly? If Your course is 100 percent coursework then what will you be revising for if you don't have any exams???

What would I need to do then to get good marks on coursework ?
Original post by Nathan GG
What would I need to do then to get good marks on coursework ?

I'm also a student here, have you tried printing off reading papers and making notes on them?
Reply 5
Original post by Starlightmoon123
I'm also a student here, have you tried printing off reading papers and making notes on them?

I’ve been reading journal articles and making notes yes but since there aren’t any exams I can’t really think of anything else to do other than going over lecture notes etc which I also do. What do you do ?
Hi! I’m a student at York St John University studying Geography, the course is 100% course work and was wondering how would I revise ? As I’ve never really revised before and I really want to do the best I can but I’m not sure how to revise or what to do for independent study, atm I’ve just been reading and making notes on journal articles and going over lecture slides and making notes which takes me about 2 hours a day.

Thank you !

Hello,

It is great to meet another YSJ student on here!

It sounds like you are making a great start. Revising your sessions and making notes on academic reading is two of the best things that you can do. You are definitely putting in the hours.

You could chat with current YSJ students here: https://www.yorksj.ac.uk/study/chat-with-our-students/.
You can filter it to Geography and ask any students how they revise or any tips they have!

Lydia :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by Lydia Taylor (YSJU Student Ambassador)
Hello,

It is great to meet another YSJ student on here!

It sounds like you are making a great start. Revising your sessions and making notes on academic reading is two of the best things that you can do. You are definitely putting in the hours.

You could chat with current YSJ students here: https://www.yorksj.ac.uk/study/chat-with-our-students/.
You can filter it to Geography and ask any students how they revise or any tips they have!

I’m just making notes and reading through the slides really, is there any way that is best to revise lecture material ?

Thanks
I’m just making notes and reading through the slides really, is there any way that is best to revise lecture material ?

Thanks

That is definitely the best place to start. You could look at organising it into folders so that you can refer back to it when you need it for coursework. Turn a topic or idea into a mind map which is active revision and will help you to remember that content in more detail.

In my first year, when transitioning, I would try to treat lecture material as though it has been a class in sixth form. Take the important parts, the content you feel less confident on and compile it in a way that allows you to go over it. The end product does not matter, as long as you have been active in some way (not just reading the content).

Have a little browse on here for some tips: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/revision/.

Reply 9
Original post by Lydia Taylor (YSJU Student Ambassador)
That is definitely the best place to start. You could look at organising it into folders so that you can refer back to it when you need it for coursework. Turn a topic or idea into a mind map which is active revision and will help you to remember that content in more detail.

In my first year, when transitioning, I would try to treat lecture material as though it has been a class in sixth form. Take the important parts, the content you feel less confident on and compile it in a way that allows you to go over it. The end product does not matter, as long as you have been active in some way (not just reading the content).

Have a little browse on here for some tips: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/revision/.

Alright, thank you very much :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending