The Student Room Group

Imperial College London A100 2022 entry

Scroll to see replies

Hi! Could you please explain why we shouldn't be applying to a non-medicine 5th choice? I actually applied to mPharm for my fifth choice because I am also really passionate about pharmacy and undertaking research at a pharmaceutical company if I were to get an offer from my mPharm position. I already double or even triple checked with the university and they said that I would not be disadvantaged in my medicine or mpharm choice (bc I applied to the same med and mpharm school). Even if they did, in some way, find out that I applied to mpharm as well, they said that they would not factor that into any consideration. I was just curious as to why I shouldn't be applying to a 5th UCAS choice (although since I already submitted, I can't necessarily change anything) :smile: Thank you
Original post by ukmed2022
Hi! Could you please explain why we shouldn't be applying to a non-medicine 5th choice? I actually applied to mPharm for my fifth choice because I am also really passionate about pharmacy and undertaking research at a pharmaceutical company if I were to get an offer from my mPharm position. I already double or even triple checked with the university and they said that I would not be disadvantaged in my medicine or mpharm choice (bc I applied to the same med and mpharm school). Even if they did, in some way, find out that I applied to mpharm as well, they said that they would not factor that into any consideration. I was just curious as to why I shouldn't be applying to a 5th UCAS choice (although since I already submitted, I can't necessarily change anything) :smile: Thank you

Because unless you wanted to give up on medicine, take a gap year and reapply.

Assume that once you have embarked on a different course, you (statistically) would not be able to get into medicine as a graduate.

Also, if you don't hold a random offer (most other courses dish out offers like candy) then you may be eligible for UCAS Extra / Clearing, and medicine courses sometimes go into that.

Post originally created by ecolier.
Oh so this isn't a logistic or not being able to get an offer because I applied to a fifth choice thing right?
Original post by ukmed2022
Oh so this isn't a logistic or not being able to get an offer because I applied to a fifth choice thing right?

It's not, it's for your benefit (if you want to do medicine)!

Post originally created by ecolier.
Original post by Rando3005
All interview invites are sent before interviews start in January. There is no order.

Thank you so much! Lastly, do you know whether they release interview all at once or will it be just be a random order?
Original post by AnnaBananana
I believe they stopped using bands 2-3 years ago and just have a BMAT cutoff.

In my experience it seems to be random. I know the year I applied, going by the TSR ICSM applicants thread and the couple of others from my sixth form that applied, it didn’t seem to be in order of BMAT, predicted A levels, alphabetical surname, area/region, or anything else we could think of

Oh okay thanks! I kinda like the random order because it means I can always be hopeful 😀!
Imperial was my last interview but my first offer - it was less than two weeks until I got a decision. The waiting is agony - all of the non medics in my school were getting offers and many pretty much knew by Christmas where they were likely to go. I’d had two interviews, had a third booked and I think hadn’t heard from imperial (can’t quite remember, I’m year 3 at uni now) when we broke off for Christmas in year 13.
Original post by AnnaBananana
Imperial was my last interview but my first offer - it was less than two weeks until I got a decision. The waiting is agony - all of the non medics in my school were getting offers and many pretty much knew by Christmas where they were likely to go. I’d had two interviews, had a third booked and I think hadn’t heard from imperial (can’t quite remember, I’m year 3 at uni now) when we broke off for Christmas in year 13.

It's even worse now I got rejected last year but didn't hear until march.
(edited 2 years ago)
Does anyone know what the interview to offer ratio is?
Original post by ShadowHokage
Thank you so much! Lastly, do you know whether they release interview all at once or will it be just be a random order?

When I applied 2 years ago (oof) they released them all over about a 48hr period, same for offers. You get to book your own interview slot so there’s no correlation with any kind of order or anything.
Original post by gghgggd5ht
Does anyone know what the interview to offer ratio is?

From their website “We receive well over 2,400 applications for entry and interview about 850 candidates. We make approximately 600 offers.”
Am I right in saying that imperial chose all students that got 10.9 in section 1 and 2 for interview? This is also assuming that they got at least a 2.5 C in section 3 and passed the PS screening.

Also does imperial still use bands when deciding who to give the interviews to? and will there be a cut off for section 3 beyond the 2.5C?
Original post by OmarHam3d
Am I right in saying that imperial chose all students that got 10.9 in section 1 and 2 for interview? This is also assuming that they got at least a 2.5 C in section 3 and passed the PS screening.

Also does imperial still use bands when deciding who to give the interviews to? and will there be a cut off for section 3 beyond the 2.5C?

Yes, the cut off is decided by the lowest BMAT applicant that they can take on board for an interview. I think Imperial tends to interview about 850 people so the lowest BMAT out of those 850 people will be the cut off and since everyone else is above the cut off, they should be interviewed.

And I asked the bands question a few days ago, and from the response I got, it seems that imperial no longer uses bands when sending interview invites.
Original post by ShadowHokage
Yes, the cut off is decided by the lowest BMAT applicant that they can take on board for an interview. I think Imperial tends to interview about 850 people so the lowest BMAT out of those 850 people will be the cut off and since everyone else is above the cut off, they should be interviewed.

And I asked the bands question a few days ago, and from the response I got, it seems that imperial no longer uses bands when sending interview invites.

850 interviews including some contextual applications. The cut off for them is a bit lower
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Kevinyang
850 interviews including some contextual applications. The cut off for them is a bit lower

Yes, I think it was a 1.1 adjustment for contextual applications.
do you guys think the cut-off will be more than 10.9 ?
Original post by starlit03
do you guys think the cut-off will be more than 10.9 ?

In 2020/ 1200 interviews/ cut off 8.7

In 2021/ 1000 interviews/ cut off 10.9

In 2022 / 850 interviews/ cut off???

What do you think?
(edited 2 years ago)
didn't even consider the fact that the cut off could rise this year oh god
Reply 98
does anyone know if interviews are happening in person or online this year?
Original post by xivst
does anyone know if interviews are happening in person or online this year?

For 2022-23 admission year, the MMIs will be split in two parts:

One online-asynchronous section: this will take part in January 2022
One face-to-face part: this will happen either on campus or on an online platform in March 2022
(edited 2 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending