The Student Room Group

Text to compare with Elizabeth Gaskell's "North & South" for NEA

Hi,
I'm planning on using North & South for my A Level Literature NEA, but am struggling on trying to find a text I can compare with it.

I am planning on maybe focusing on the themes of society; class divides; a change in society; gender roles e.t.c

I would really appreciate any suggestions
Thank you very kindly :smile:
Original post by Kelseyy<3
Hi,
I'm planning on using North & South for my A Level Literature NEA, but am struggling on trying to find a text I can compare with it.

I am planning on maybe focusing on the themes of society; class divides; a change in society; gender roles e.t.c

I would really appreciate any suggestions
Thank you very kindly :smile:

Not sure about specific texts, but anything by Hardy would probably work very well.
Maybe Jane Eyre, there are the issues of class and gender in that too or Tess of the d’Ubervilles. I think both those books have a darker tone than North and South.
Reply 3
Original post by ideasoforder
Not sure about specific texts, but anything by Hardy would probably work very well.

Original post by neuro_cola
Maybe Jane Eyre, there are the issues of class and gender in that too or Tess of the d’Ubervilles. I think both those books have a darker tone than North and South.

Thank you for your suggestions
Sadly I can't actually do Jane Eyre or Tess of d'Ubervilles as they're on my spec :frown:

My tutor suggested that my second text should be a bit more modern as my NEA needs some elements of 'Texts across time' but i'm not really too keen on Virginia Woolf/Angela Carter/Sylvia Plath, which seem to be pretty common authors to use. Any other suggestions would be really appreciated :smile:
Thank you for your suggestions
Sadly I can't actually do Jane Eyre or Tess of d'Ubervilles as they're on my spec :frown:

My tutor suggested that my second text should be a bit more modern as my NEA needs some elements of 'Texts across time' but i'm not really too keen on Virginia Woolf/Angela Carter/Sylvia Plath, which seem to be pretty common authors to use. Any other suggestions would be really appreciated :smile:

What about Achebe's 'Things Fall Apart'? It's short, relatively modern, and would facilitate really interesting comparison on society (i.e. comparing 19th century Britain with a presentation of 19th century Africa. There's lots to talk about on society, gender roles etc. PM me if you want any help.
Reply 5
What about Achebe's 'Things Fall Apart'? It's short, relatively modern, and would facilitate really interesting comparison on society (i.e. comparing 19th century Britain with a presentation of 19th century Africa. There's lots to talk about on society, gender roles etc. PM me if you want any help.

Thank You so much for all you're help, I think I might go with A Doll's House (a play by Henrik Ibsen) and perhaps look at the effects of society on an individual, I'm currently also studying the industrial revolution for my History A Level so that should really help me for context.
Thank you for all your time :smile:
Thank You so much for all you're help, I think I might go with A Doll's House (a play by Henrik Ibsen) and perhaps look at the effects of society on an individual, I'm currently also studying the industrial revolution for my History A Level so that should really help me for context.
Thank you for all your time :smile:

No problem! Just a note - that play was originally written in a different language, so not sure if it’s invalid as a ‘translated’ text…
Reply 7
No problem! Just a note - that play was originally written in a different language, so not sure if it’s invalid as a ‘translated’ text…

Yes I think it was originally published in Norwegian, luckily my exam board (AQA) allows translated texts, it's actually recommended on their site. Thank you for pointing this out though, i know some exam boards don't allow translations :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending