The Student Room Group

University admissions rate

Does anyone know a website where I can find accurate admissions stats?
Original post by kfc7

Which uni used to publish offer rates, offer rates also aren’t quite the same thing but similar, but that website has now disappeared and became the uni guide (however last time I checked they didn’t have this information). It’s quite an expense piece of data to buy from UCAS I think.
Reply 2
Original post by mnot
Which uni used to publish offer rates, offer rates also aren’t quite the same thing but similar, but that website has now disappeared and became the uni guide (however last time I checked they didn’t have this information). It’s quite an expense piece of data to buy from UCAS I think.

Ah that's not ideal, thanks anyways.
Original post by kfc7

You can email the admissions team in that university and ask for stats.
Tell that it's a Freedom of Information Request.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Athy_Obelia
You can email the admissions team in that university and ask for stats.
Tell that it's a Freedom of Information Request.

Ooooh i'll do that, thank you for your help.
It wouldnt tell you any helpful anyway.
It doesnt tell you if YOU will get an offer or if you will get the grades neede in August - or if you will like the course or enjoy being at that Uni. Just apply.
Reply 6
Original post by McGinger
It wouldnt tell you any helpful anyway.
It doesnt tell you if YOU will get an offer or if you will get the grades neede in August - or if you will like the course or enjoy being at that Uni. Just apply.

But I need to see how risky each place i'm applying for is. So although there is some truth in what you're saying but I think it would be worth looking at; It might not be a great idea to apply to 5 unis with 5% offer rate.
There are rumoured admissions statistics for different universities, but I wouldn't let it put you off if you're interested in going. You could be that 1 in 10 who gets in :smile:
what subject are you appplying for?
Reply 9
Original post by McGinger
what subject are you appplying for?

Econ/finance
Original post by kfc7
But I need to see how risky each place i'm applying for is. So although there is some truth in what you're saying but I think it would be worth looking at; It might not be a great idea to apply to 5 unis with 5% offer rate.

But it won't tell you why that % was accepted. You might be in the 5% for all of them!

I agree with the above, admissions rates are pretty useless by themselves. Example: One of our lowest entry requirement courses gets a huge number of applications. They are universally poor and we reject a great many. If you were to purely look at the admissions rates, you would think it was a very competitive course. Whereas in reality, we accept anyone with a pulse who is roughly in line with the typical offer.

Conversely, some of our most competitive courses have higher acceptance %'s, because there's a huge amount of self selection going on. The % won't tell you that.
Reply 11
Original post by Admit-One
But it won't tell you why that % was accepted. You might be in the 5% for all of them!

I agree with the above, admissions rates are pretty useless by themselves. Example: One of our lowest entry requirement courses gets a huge number of applications. They are universally poor and we reject a great many. If you were to purely look at the admissions rates, you would think it was a very competitive course. Whereas in reality, we accept anyone with a pulse who is roughly in line with the typical offer.

Conversely, some of our most competitive courses have higher acceptance %'s, because there's a huge amount of self selection going on. The % won't tell you that.

I mean I won't be using that to apply I just want to get some idea.

I'm guessing you're an admissions tutor :lol:
Original post by kfc7
I mean I won't be using that to apply I just want to get some idea.

Why? It might discourage you from applying somewhere where you are well suited, and encourage you to apply somewhere where you might quickly get rejected. It's potentially very misleading info. As per McGinger's advice, you should apply for courses and unis that excite and interest you.

Original post by rosy_posy
I'm guessing you're an admissions tutor :lol:

I've already said too much...

*smoke bomb*
Reply 14
Why? It might discourage you from applying somewhere where you are well suited, and encourage you to apply somewhere where you might quickly get rejected. It's potentially very misleading info. As per McGinger's advice, you should apply for courses and unis that excite and interest you.

*smoke bomb*

I mean I do want to have 1 safe option.

*smoke bomb*

Your username is a clue in itself 👀

What does 'self selection' mean?
Remember not to take offer rates into account independently. It's your grades, personal statement, etc. that make you part of the percentage that get in, It's not a roll of the die.
Good luck with your application and try not to worry too much.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending