The Student Room Group

PGCE Applying

Does anyone know the process to apply for a PGCE? and when I should be applying for that?

Im currently in my final years of doing my BSc.
Original post by MissCarter786
Does anyone know the process to apply for a PGCE? and when I should be applying for that?

Im currently in my final years of doing my BSc.

I believe from this year, you have to apply on gov.uk, rather than on UCAS.

I started applying for it around this time of the year when i was in my final year of my degree.
Depending on the uni and the type of PGCE, you do have until July/August time. Some will close earlier if all spaces are filled up.
Original post by 1secondsofvamps
I believe from this year, you have to apply on gov.uk, rather than on UCAS.

I started applying for it around this time of the year when i was in my final year of my degree.
Depending on the uni and the type of PGCE, you do have until July/August time. Some will close earlier if all spaces are filled up.

Oh god! My anxiety is rising, I have no idea about the application process and I just got a flash to look for Universities... I want to apply to UCL, KCL and Goldsmith University.
Would I need a personal statement?

I have contacted each of these Universities separately :frown: I dont think i will make it this year I feel like I have no knowledge about the application process.
Oh god! My anxiety is rising, I have no idea about the application process and I just got a flash to look for Universities... I want to apply to UCL, KCL and Goldsmith University.
Would I need a personal statement?

I have contacted each of these Universities separately :frown: I dont think i will make it this year I feel like I have no knowledge about the application process.

I did my PGCE at UCL last year so i'll be happy to help :smile:
Yes, you do need a personal statement.
I did my PGCE at UCL last year so i'll be happy to help :smile:
Yes, you do need a personal statement.

Omg thank you so much :frown:
Am i late to apply? Do you think I will make it? Im so stressded :frown:((
Omg thank you so much :frown:
Am i late to apply? Do you think I will make it? Im so stressded :frown:((

No, you're not too late! Applications only opened a couple weeks ago.
And like i said, depending on the course and its popularity, do you have until August next year.
No, you're not too late! Applications only opened a couple weeks ago.
And like i said, depending on the course and its popularity, do you have until August next year

Thank you :frown: For making it clear.

My aim will be to submit it by Novemeber.
Thank you :frown: For making it clear.

My aim will be to submit it by Novemeber.

Honestly, you are better off taking longer with your application and submitting it a bit later on in the cycle than applying early with a rushed application and limited experience of schools.

What subject/age group would you be looking to teach?
Original post by SarcAndSpark
Honestly, you are better off taking longer with your application and submitting it a bit later on in the cycle than applying early with a rushed application and limited experience of schools.

What subject/age group would you be looking to teach?

Primary School.
I teach online, I have a TEFL course and I have a well established portfolio online with lots of reviews and students. etc Im not sure if that helps.
Primary School.
I teach online, I have a TEFL course and I have a well established portfolio online with lots of reviews and students. etc Im not sure if that helps.

Thats' nothing like teaching a class - you need to get into schools.
Original post by Muttley79
Thats' nothing like teaching a class - you need to get into schools.

Remote teaching? Covid 19?
Remote teaching? Covid 19?

And? We've been teaching face to face for months and students have been in on placements.
Original post by Muttley79
And? We've been teaching face to face for months and students have been in on placements.

It's been slightly hard getting into schools for work experience, however I have emailed into a few schools. I hope to hear back soon.
Primary School.

Primary school is the more competitive option, and they will expect experience with the age group you want to teach. If you can't get into schools, the next best option would be volunteering with a group like brownies or cubs, another youth group, or sports team etc.
It's been slightly hard getting into schools for work experience, however I have emailed into a few schools. I hope to hear back soon.

It has been hard to get work experience but I suggest emailing every school you can because one will reply. Restrictions have eased a lot now compared to last year. I managed to get some experience at a lovely school in June/July and it gave me a lot to write about in my personal statement. I think that's crucial when applying for a pgce.
I got into UoB last year around March.. I sent my applicable in February. You have plenty of time. Relax.

Yes I did a personal statement, and yes, I applied through UCAS. Not sure if this has changed as the above posters have suggested?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending