The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Get a first in any degree and apply as a graduate?
Any degree?? I don’t think so. I don’t think you can do soemthing like english and then go onto a medical course. I am not an expert though. It’s best to look at individual unis and if it’s unclear maybe email a few
Reply 3
I want to do the same and from what I know, you can sit in an ambulance and observe the professionals, but probably wouldn’t be able to do much unless you’re fully trained. Though, you could get a job working for St John Ambulance which is what I plan to do, you can take short training courses, volunteer, and help out at events that may require first aid, things like Rugby games, which be great if you then decide to become a full-time paramedic
Reply 4
Original post by PeacefulAngel

Nope, never do a degree with the sole aim of GEM. This is because GEM is much more competitive, expensive and takes much longer, plus you'll be going up against people with years of healthcare experience and PhDs.
Original post by SyedN
Nope, never do a degree with the sole aim of GEM. This is because GEM is much more competitive, expensive and takes much longer, plus you'll be going up against people with years of healthcare experience and PhDs.

Well I have got a bit of experience (I’ve been in hospital for 10 years now!) but yes, it is very competitive. Unfortunately I only got ABC in my A levels :frown:
That’s really good advice thank you. Are there many St John Ambulance around the country? Is it voluntary work?
When I was 18 I was psychotic and was told by the voices to carry a knife in my bag. I went on a train to a faraway place and was reported as a missing person. I was found by the police and I admitted that I had a knife in my bag because I was so afraid. Will this turn up on a CRB check? (I have a caution) I am so ashamed of myself but I was very unwell at the time. I didn’t hurt anyone and was meant for my own protection. I handed myself in as well.
Reply 8
No worries, I think they’re mainly dotted around the south and they have some in wales, Scotland and NI. If there isn’t one near you there are other organisations that do the same thing, and I’m pretty sure it’s volunteer work
You were dealing with your mental health, it was something out of your control. The most important thing is that you're better now
Original post by Moonlight Rain
You were dealing with your mental health, it was something out of your control. The most important thing is that you're better now

Well I’m not exactly better as I am still sectioned :/ but thanks. Do you think this will effect my CRB check?
You could get some work experience at a hospital and explore the roles of doctors and nurses to see which one you like best.
Reply 12
Original post by flamingolover
Any degree?? I don’t think so. I don’t think you can do soemthing like english and then go onto a medical course. I am not an expert though. It’s best to look at individual unis and if it’s unclear maybe email a few

There are GEM courses which accept students from any degree discipline e.g. Warwick and Newcastle
Depends what you mean by feasible.

Is it possible? Yes, absolutely.

Is it likely? Statistically, no.

What stage are you at with your undergrad degree?
Reply 14
Well I have got a bit of experience (I’ve been in hospital for 10 years now!) but yes, it is very competitive. Unfortunately I only got ABC in my A levels :frown:

You need to get well first and then it will be easier to work out the best way forward for you.
Hope you are looking after yourself :smile:

You have to research which universities accept any degree; only some do. Most will ask for a STEM subject
There's not necessarily a straight forward answer to this.
It depends what your caution was specifically for, whilst some do not show on DBS's, others do- see below
https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/dbs-list-of-offences-that-will-never-be-filtered-from-a-criminal-record-check

Now having a positive DBS does not necessarily disqualify you from medicine or working within the healthcare service.
I'm not sure what happens with Universities, but certainly with NHS Trusts, the individual is called in for an interview, given an opportunity to submit a statement and then it is risk assessed. The outcome depends on a whole manner of things.

I realise this is a bit of a grey answer, but it varies massively depending on the individual.
'Probably' You armed yourself with a weapon then presumably broke a bunch of laws. It's hard to claim you don't pose at least a modest threat to others. I don't know how the law really works in terms of reporting, but it would be a pretty pointless CRB check if it DIDN'T flag it up imo, we're not talking about a petty shoplifting charge or skipping a train ticket here.
as I am still sectioned

As in still compulsorily committed to a psychiatric facility in accordance with the Mental Health Act?
Original post by flamingolover
Any degree?? I don’t think so. I don’t think you can do soemthing like english and then go onto a medical course. I am not an expert though.

Why comment with incorrect information then? All it does it confuse the applicant, and anyone else reading the thread subsequently.

It's possible to apply to GEM from most first degrees, but as @SyedN says, it's a really bad idea. If you know you want to do medicine, then apply to do it as a first undergraduate degree.

Latest

Trending

Trending