The Student Room Group

Don't think I can do it. Need advice

I am 'retaking' my A-levels in the summer but I haven't been revising up until now due to unforeseen circumstances. I am essentially at square one and have until may the 23rd to get to A* quality in three subjects without a teacher. My subjects are English literature, ancient history, and economics. However, the breadth of history and English is a real problem. I don't think that I can reach the desired standard in that period of time. What do you think? What should I do?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Xiphos
I am 'retaking' my A-levels in the summer but I haven't been revising up until now due to unforeseen circumstances. I am essentially at square one and have until may the 23rd to get to A* quality in three subjects without a teacher. My subjects are English literature, ancient history, and economics. However, the breadth of history and English is a real problem. I don't think that I can reach the desired standard in that period of time. What do you think? What should I do?

Get uplearn for economics if you can afford it. I had it for chemistry and biology and it genuinely helped me achieved the grades i needed
Reply 2
Original post by Sm 002 u mug
Get uplearn for economics if you can afford it. I had it for chemistry and biology and it genuinely helped me achieved the grades i needed

I feel economics is manageable at the moment. It's just the other two that look impossible.
Reply 3
I am also resitting both Sociology and Business Studies, and I take History. I can tell you for sure that you can do it. If you start NOW and dedicate all your time to studying, and studying effectively- know your limits but don't stay within your comfort zone- you will be able to score at least a B. Time is of the absolute essence now, and if you can push back your bedtime by a few hours, that would also help.
I think you should scope your content; see how much work you have, divide it and fit it into the months remaining, and further sub-divide it, by seeing how much of that you can fit into one day. I would suggest working 7/7 days of the week too. If you can, you should get a tutor, and also, I recommend Tutor2You on YouTube. They have economics concepts that they break down and I am sure they'll be of great help.
For Ancient History, if you can get yourself documentaries and podcasts to listen to, and read the recommended textbooks, or at least the summarized versions of them if they are too heavy, it will work out just fine.
I don't do Literature, but I am sure you can check on the scheme of work on the education provider website and you will find exactly what you need to do and know by the time you have your last exam.
Aside from that, you are the driver of your bus at this point. Don't panic. Prioritize your education and find study buddies who do too. Don't desert your mental health. I'm sure you will do great if you just push yourself, and concentrate only on your books. It's only a few months anyway, and nothing will change drastically if you remove yourself from the social, fun world for a few months.
All the best, internet stranger!
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Nudljoos
I am also resitting both Sociology and Business Studies, and I take History. I can tell you for sure that you can do it. If you start NOW and dedicate all your time to studying, and studying effectively- know your limits but don't stay within your comfort zone- you will be able to score at least a B. Time is of the absolute essence now, and if you can push back your bedtime by a few hours, that would also help.
I think you should scope your content; see how much work you have, divide it and fit it into the months remaining, and further sub-divide it, by seeing how much of that you can fit into one day. I would suggest working 7/7 days of the week too. If you can, you should get a tutor, and also, I recommend Tutor2You on YouTube. They have economics concepts that they break down and I am sure they'll be of great help.
For Ancient History, if you can get yourself documentaries and podcasts to listen to, and read the recommended textbooks, or at least the summarized versions of them if they are too heavy, it will work out just fine.
I don't do Literature, but I am sure you can check on the scheme of work on the education provider website and you will find exactly what you need to do and know by the time you have your last exam.
Aside from that, you are the driver of your bus at this point. Don't panic. Prioritize your education and find study buddies who do too. Don't desert your mental health. I'm sure you will do great if you just push yourself, and concentrate only on your books. It's only a few months anyway, and nothing will change drastically if you remove yourself from the social, fun world for a few months.
All the best, internet stranger!

I also have to get a job so that's another obsticle. I'm not sure if this is viable honestly.
Reply 5
It really depends on your capabilities so we can't help you as we don't know. I've know a student take 2 A levels from scratch in a year whilst working 25-30 hours a week at a job and get 2 A*, but he was an exceptional student who'd just realized he'd taken the wrong A levels first time round.
Reply 6
Original post by EOData
It really depends on your capabilities so we can't help you as we don't know. I've know a student take 2 A levels from scratch in a year whilst working 25-30 hours a week at a job and get 2 A*, but he was an exceptional student who'd just realized he'd taken the wrong A levels first time round.

Well, I suspect that my capabilities aren't quite as impressive I'm afraid.
Original post by Xiphos
Well, I suspect that my capabilities aren't quite as impressive I'm afraid.

What are your options here? Delay another year? Take them anyway and see how you do?

Have you had an honest, third-party assessment of your current standard, and likely attainment in the examination?
in my opinion it shouldn't really matter if you have a teacher or not because you do it mostly on your own anyway
Reply 9
Original post by Reality Check
What are your options here? Delay another year? Take them anyway and see how you do?

Have you had an honest, third-party assessment of your current standard, and likely attainment in the examination?

I am 19 so, if I delay another year I will be kicked out. I want to only take my exams when I can be somewhat certain that I will do well. This is because if I do a bad job I will have to retake again which will look terrible on my UCAS. Also, I have had no third-party assessment but I think that I am lower down on the spectrum of intellect.
Reply 10
Original post by englishhopeful98
in my opinion it shouldn't really matter if you have a teacher or not because you do it mostly on your own anyway

I can't accurately mark my English and history exam questions which is why I feel I need a teacher.
Original post by Xiphos
I can't accurately mark my English and history exam questions which is why I feel I need a teacher.

find some model answers
i might be able to help a bit for english
Original post by Xiphos

Have you approached your old school for help at all? Even a good tutor recommendation would be helpful ...
Reply 13
Original post by englishhopeful98
find some model answers
i might be able to help a bit for english

Will do, thank you.
Reply 14
Original post by Muttley79
Have you approached your old school for help at all? Even a good tutor recommendation would be helpful ...

I have spoken with them about potentially reenrolling but, I am 2 months too old. I did want to email my od teachers for help but I am not really sure what to ask or how to ask.
Reply 15
Original post by Xiphos
I have spoken with them about potentially reenrolling but, I am 2 months too old. I did want to email my od teachers for help but I am not really sure what to ask or how to ask.

Just give it a go, very politely. You have nothing to lose by trying.
Original post by Xiphos

Why not reach out - explain you are resitting and see what they offer - you've nothing to lose. Ask if they know any tutors too.
Reply 17
Original post by Muttley79
Why not reach out - explain you are resitting and see what they offer - you've nothing to lose. Ask if they know any tutors too.

I have nothing to offer in return so I am uneasy about asking. Also, if I were to ask how should I word it?
Reply 18
Original post by EOData
Just give it a go, very politely. You have nothing to lose by trying.

true
Original post by Xiphos
I have nothing to offer in return so I am uneasy about asking. Also, if I were to ask how should I word it?

I don't know you or your teachers but if an ex-student e-mailed me about help I would be happy to send past papers and have even marked them in the past. I have also recommended tutors usually retired members of my department who I know will do a good job.

Quick Reply

Latest