The Student Room Group

University of Cambridge A100 2022 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by pepsiu
Was this a gap year bc of no offers or a “I’m going to take a gap year” gap year.

I only ask because I’ve been seriously thinking about it. I’m so busy, and tired and I don’t feel entirely ready for uni (and I’m poor and need to work haha) and a gap year might do me good. I’ve applied for 2022, but assuming I get offers I might actually ask to defer. Not sure

It was a bit of both tbh. My bio teacher told me to apply but as a trial run (I decided on the unis to apply to on 14th October. I did sorta try but I only had one interview and I got a rejection from there (which I was glad about because they seemed to handle COVID awfully). But I knew that a gap year was better for numerous reasons one, like you said, is to get a bit of money - I'm a carer in a nursing home. I get half-decent money for an 18 year old, lots of experience and its a Bank role so I can keep the job throughout my degree. Also don't think you will rest, I may have had 10 days off since I finished school in May.
Can someone please clarify; I always thought Cambridge takes a holistic approach to selecting candidates for interviews. However, I read on St. John’s website:

"We attract around 100 applicants, with above the average marks of those applying for Medicine at Cambridge as a whole, and typically interview around 50 applicants. The initial measure by which applicants are ranked for deselection is Section 2 of the BMAT, which is seen as a reliable indicator of academic ability that all applicants can be compared with. Competitive candidates usually obtain a result of 4.7 or higher in Section 2, because of this it is advised that applicants prepare for the BMAT in the months leading up to the test."

Does this mean their selection for interviews is now purely based on section 2? :eek:
Original post by DarceyDS
Can someone please clarify; I always thought Cambridge takes a holistic approach to selecting candidates for interviews. However, I read on St. John’s website:

"We attract around 100 applicants, with above the average marks of those applying for Medicine at Cambridge as a whole, and typically interview around 50 applicants. The initial measure by which applicants are ranked for deselection is Section 2 of the BMAT, which is seen as a reliable indicator of academic ability that all applicants can be compared with. Competitive candidates usually obtain a result of 4.7 or higher in Section 2, because of this it is advised that applicants prepare for the BMAT in the months leading up to the test."

Does this mean their selection for interviews is now purely based on section 2? :eek:

I think the key work there is 'initial', don't worry too much, just do as much as you can without impending your A Levels. Thats all you can do, you have applied to uni now so there is no point worrying about the details. You must be a strong applicant to be applying to Cambridge so try not to worry too much:smile:
Hi, Just wondering if you receive a confirmation email when you send off your SAQ.

Also I've been very busy up until now so haven't done much BMAT revision, only have about a week left. Is this sufficient I can easily manage about 6-8 hours a day as I don't have anything to do from now up until then (also no sixth form)?
Original post by chris01928
I think the key work there is 'initial', don't worry too much, just do as much as you can without impending your A Levels. Thats all you can do, you have applied to uni now so there is no point worrying about the details. You must be a strong applicant to be applying to Cambridge so try not to worry too much:smile:

Thank you, you are right :smile: Fingers crossed
Original post by Ausha2002
Hi, Just wondering if you receive a confirmation email when you send off your SAQ.

Also I've been very busy up until now so haven't done much BMAT revision, only have about a week left. Is this sufficient I can easily manage about 6-8 hours a day as I don't have anything to do from now up until then (also no sixth form)?

I got an email back saying: Successfully submitted Supplementary Application Questionnaire
Original post by Ausha2002

I seriously f*cking hope so. I’ve had endless mocks for the past 2 weeks, and obviously has to revise for them before that. I’ve barely done any BMAT revision except for maybe 100 section 1 questions. I’m working today, so i’m gonna chill out for today before/after work. But starting tomorrow I’ve got a week off work, week off sixth form. I am gonna do same as you 6-8 hours a day and it’ll just have to be enough
For interview prep, shall I re-learn maths - I am a gap year applicant who took Maths, chem, bio and a medical EPQ.
Also, shall we only learn human bio?
For interview prep, shall I re-learn maths - I am a gap year applicant who took Maths, chem, bio and a medical EPQ.
Also, shall we only learn human bio?

yea learn maths, especially stats
Original post by ababab123
yea learn maths, especially stats

Oh dammit ... cheers
I'm not sure how my BMAT went... should I prepare for the interview anyways?
Original post by Galaxy2305
I'm not sure how my BMAT went... should I prepare for the interview anyways?

I am, theres other things they look at anyways:smile:
I am, theres other things they look at anyways:smile:

Ok thanks, how did you find the BMAT this year?
Ok thanks, how did you find the BMAT this year?

S1 goodish
S2 HAAAARD
S3 Enjoyable
WBU
S1 goodish
S2 HAAAARD
S3 Enjoyable
WBU

Exact same lol - S2 was just something else this year!
Exact same lol - S2 was just something else this year!

I made one or two stupid mistakes which I realise now but jesus, quite a few of those questions could have taken 5 minutes to do
I made one or two stupid mistakes which I realise now but jesus, quite a few of those questions could have taken 5 minutes to do

Yeah I managed to remember all 27 questions and my mistakes :frown:
Yeah I managed to remember all 27 questions and my mistakes :frown:

oh...
tbf it was much of a guessing game as it was a 'knowledge-based' section
oh...
tbf it was much of a guessing game as it was a 'knowledge-based' section

Oh yeah, it was hard to guess too with the amount of options some questions had.
Oh yeah, it was hard to guess too with the amount of options some questions had.

Yeah, nothing we can do now though, we were the lucky few

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending