The Student Room Group

NSAA

Hi, I have to take NSAA this year for natural sciences course, and I want to ask is there any recommendation to study apart from the past paper? I have finished all the past paper and still found that I am not well-prepared.
Reply 1
Got an email from the college I applied to recommending Isaac Physics!

edit: wording
(edited 2 years ago)
so you are choosing physics for both sections? I wonder what should I do coz I am doing chemistry in both sections
Reply 3
Original post by apple green tea
so you are choosing physics for both sections? I wonder what should I do coz I am doing chemistry in both sections

Ahh, forgot about that, yes I am choosing physics for both! I couldn't help with Chemistry, sorry!
Reply 4
Don't neglect your A-level if there's anything you're weak on... Forgetting basic stuff about circuits is what sunk me
Reply 5
Just to confirm, we're not allowed calculators for the whole exam right? (Also try revising some GCSE stuff too!)
Reply 6
Original post by amlen
Just to confirm, we're not allowed calculators for the whole exam right? (Also try revising some GCSE stuff too!)

Yeah, no calculators!
Reply 7
I'd recommend looking at other science and maths based tests aimed at your age group (16-18). The senior maths challenge/ kangaroo, the PAT and MAT, the Chemistry/ Biology/ Physics Olympiads all seem up this street. Not all of them will be of the same format (the NSAA is mostly quick-fire questions I remember) but if you can do time-pressured tricky questions based on A-Level and GCSE that should be good preparation by its own right.

If nothing else, I'd recommend doing something intellectually stimulating in your free time in the weeks leading up to the NSAA and the interview, just for general concentration and focus. Picking up something new based in logical reasoning would be decent (classic example probably chess but since this is 2021 you could probably find something less archaic if you wanted).
Original post by apple green tea
Hi, I have to take NSAA this year for natural sciences course, and I want to ask is there any recommendation to study apart from the past paper? I have finished all the past paper and still found that I am not well-prepared.

Depending on the sections you’re targeting, you could practice questions from Olympiads/other Oxbridge admissions tests. For example, for maths and physics, you could try PAT and a few MAT questions, some Physics challenge/BPhO questions. I’ve heard that the BMAT section 1 is quite similar to the NSAA, so you could check that out. Also make sure that you’ve covered all the content on the specification and revise some GCSE stuff. After doing all this, you can redo the past papers under timed conditions as well. The test is all about critical thinking and problem solving, so anything that helps develop that is helpful (things like logic puzzles for example). Just realised that you’re doing the chemistry sections, in that case I would recommend doing some Cambridge chemistry challenge questions (C3L6) and some UKChO questions . You can also practice some difficult AS Chemistry questions. As far as I know, the 1st maths section is compulsory. It’s quite similar to GCSE maths, so you can look at some difficult GCSE maths questions. Another resource for maths is the UKMT senior maths challenge.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by R T
I'd recommend looking at other science and maths based tests aimed at your age group (16-18). The senior maths challenge/ kangaroo, the PAT and MAT, the Chemistry/ Biology/ Physics Olympiads all seem up this street. Not all of them will be of the same format (the NSAA is mostly quick-fire questions I remember) but if you can do time-pressured tricky questions based on A-Level and GCSE that should be good preparation by its own right.

If nothing else, I'd recommend doing something intellectually stimulating in your free time in the weeks leading up to the NSAA and the interview, just for general concentration and focus. Picking up something new based in logical reasoning would be decent (classic example probably chess but since this is 2021 you could probably find something less archaic if you wanted).

thank you very much!
Original post by Anonymous(
Depending on the sections you’re targeting, you could practice questions from Olympiads/other Oxbridge admissions tests. For example, for maths and physics, you could try PAT and a few MAT questions, some Physics challenge/BPhO questions. I’ve heard that the BMAT section 1 is quite similar to the NSAA, so you could check that out. Also make sure that you’ve covered all the content on the specification and revise some GCSE stuff. After doing all this, you can redo the past papers under timed conditions as well. The test is all about critical thinking and problem solving, so anything that helps develop that is helpful (things like logic puzzles for example). Just realised that you’re doing the chemistry sections, in that case I would recommend doing some Cambridge chemistry challenge questions (C3L6) and some UKChO questions . You can also practice some difficult AS Chemistry questions. As far as I know, the 1st maths section is compulsory. It’s quite similar to GCSE maths, so you can look at some difficult GCSE maths questions. Another resource for maths is the UKMT senior maths challenge.

thank you very much for your help!
Original post by bxcs
Ahh, forgot about that, yes I am choosing physics for both! I couldn't help with Chemistry, sorry!

nvm, thank you for your help!
Reply 12

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending