The Student Room Group

How much calories do I need to burn fat whilst maintaining muscle mass?

Heres my backstory:
I'm 5'9 and 240lbs and I've done 1 month on a calorie deficit whilst lifting weights at the gym 3 times a week.

When I started I took a photo of myself and I also have today but I found out that I look the exact same as I did a month ago. Literally not even a slight change. Also my pants feel as tight as they were a month ago and same with shirts. I've been eating around 2200 calories which I thought was how much I needed but some websites say to maintain weight I need 2100 calories so I feel like I might be overeating.

So I need advice on how much calories I need to burn fat and maintain muscle. I'm thinking of changing it to 1900 calories because its clear nothings changing when I'm eating around 2200. But I need advice so that I don't make a mistake. So please let me know. Thanks.
Original post by Chezneyfrenzey
I'm 5'9 and 240lbs and I've done 1 month on a calorie deficit whilst lifting weights at the gym 3 times a week.

2200 doesn't sound like a calorie deficit.
Try and aim for a 500 calorie deficit a day intake, not 300 and you should hopefully see results. That 200 calorie difference is around 10% which will add up a bit more.

Also, your body won’t burn muscle if it has fat reserves to live on, so don’t worry about that. You’ll lose muscle DEFINITION but not muscle if you gain weight because it will cover them but you won’t lose it.
Original post by Sabertooth
2200 doesn't sound like a calorie deficit.

I lift weights 3 times a week so on myfitnesspal and the calorie calculator app it said I needed 2200 to lose 0.75kg a week. But you are definitely correct, I've ate like this for a month and I'm seeing 0 changes. I'm gonna drop to 1900 calories and see what happens.

Original post by Scienceisgood
Try and aim for a 500 calorie deficit a day intake, not 300 and you should hopefully see results. That 200 calorie difference is around 10% which will add up a bit more.

Also, your body won’t burn muscle if it has fat reserves to live on, so don’t worry about that. You’ll lose muscle DEFINITION but not muscle if you gain weight because it will cover them but you won’t lose it.

On myfitnesspal and the calorie counter app they both said I need 2200 calories to lose 0.75kg a week since I'm fairly active (lift 3 times a week). But this hasn't done anything for me so far so yeah I think I'm gonna cut to 1900 calories and see if that does the trick.
I lift weights 3 times a week so on myfitnesspal and the calorie calculator app it said I needed 2200 to lose 0.75kg a week. But you are definitely correct, I've ate like this for a month and I'm seeing 0 changes. I'm gonna drop to 1900 calories and see what happens.

On myfitnesspal and the calorie counter app they both said I need 2200 calories to lose 0.75kg a week since I'm fairly active (lift 3 times a week). But this hasn't done anything for me so far so yeah I think I'm gonna cut to 1900 calories and see if that does the trick.

I'm no expert, but I am also 5'9 and weighed 210lbs. I now weigh 175lbs after 4 months of working out. I swim 4/5 times a week and lift weights 2 sometimes 3 times a week. The weight is falling off me and I'm still making strength gains.

I eat about 1500 calories a day.

I'm not sure what your goal is?
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Sabertooth
I'm no expert, but I am also 5'9 and weighed 210lbs. I now weigh 175lbs after 4 months of working out. I swim 4/5 times a week and lift weights 2 sometimes 3 times a week. The weight is falling off me and I'm still making strength gains.

I eat about 1500 calories a day.

I'm not sure what your goal is?

I'm trying to lose fat and maintain muscle. So should I aim for 1800 calories? Idk if I won't lose a lot of muscle eating 1500 calories.
I'm trying to lose fat and maintain muscle. So should I aim for 1800 calories? Idk if I won't lose a lot of muscle eating 1500 calories.

Body only burns muscle when it runs out of fat. Hence why we don’t store muscle, otherwise you would see a bunch of hence bas*ards rather than fat ones walking around.
Body only burns muscle when it runs out of fat. Hence why we don’t store muscle, otherwise you would see a bunch of hence bas*ards rather than fat ones walking around.

It can burn muscle too though when you lose it too quickly. But thanks anyways, I've decided to go for 1850 calories.

No it does not only burn muscle when fat runs out. What happens when the body needs amino acids?
Original post by Dax_Swagg3r
No it does not only burn muscle when fat runs out. What happens when the body needs amino acids?

From my understanding, this was not meant to be set in stone question as the OP didn’t say he was refraining from eating meat (or eggs, nuts etc…) and as such, didn’t think that needed stating.

I was referring to a standard situation, not a specific diet which one would
Have to take that into account.
Heres my backstory:

When I started I took a photo of myself and I also have today but I found out that I look the exact same as I did a month ago. Literally not even a slight change. Also my pants feel as tight as they were a month ago and same with shirts. I've been eating around 2200 calories which I thought was how much I needed but some websites say to maintain weight I need 2100 calories so I feel like I might be overeating.

So I need advice on how much calories I need to burn fat and maintain muscle. I'm thinking of changing it to 1900 calories because its clear nothings changing when I'm eating around 2200. But I need advice so that I don't make a mistake. So please let me know. Thanks.

Calories are meaningless to an extent. For example, is 100 calories of doughnuts the same as 100 calories of grass-fed beef?

Read all you can find by Charles Poliquin. He died a few years ago but was one of the most innovative coaches around.
Original post by Robsmith23
Calories are meaningless to an extent. For example, is 100 calories of doughnuts the same as 100 calories of grass-fed beef?

Read all you can find by Charles Poliquin. He died a few years ago but was one of the most innovative coaches around.

Strawman argument. You haven't taken into account the thermic effect of food, if you did beef would have overall lower net kcalories because it is more protein.
You missed the "to an extent" in my post. In any event the position is far more complex than just thermogenesis.
Reply 13
Original post by Robsmith23

I think maybe you're referring to the effect on body composition. 100 calories from protein will promote more muscle retention than 100 calories from doughnuts. Strictly for "weight loss" though, it is absolutely all about calories, but beef will help you lose more weight from fat instead of muscle. I know you said "to an extent", but the use of the word "meaningless" is too severe given how important calories are to losing fat.

Quick Reply

Latest