The Student Room Group

Education with Psychology personal statement help

Obviously not going to copy anything but I'm really stuck on how to write my PS, especially start it. I've got the experience as I've worked 12weeks in a primary school, I'm working full time at a nursery atm, I babysit and I'm working as a councillor at a summer camp for 2 months next year. I've always wanted to work with kids and i do have a knack for it. I'm interested in psychology bc ofc its fascinating and I've been in therapy myself so i want to be able to give back to the world. putting all this into formal writing just doesn't compute haha help
Check the courses you are interested in - this is unlikely to be able to either get you into primary schools (as opposed to a primary teaching degree) or be BPS accredited for being a psychologist (although you don't need a psychology degree to become a counsellor).

Also check out this guidance for more info: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6666418
Reply 2
Original post by Interrobang
Check the courses you are interested in - this is unlikely to be able to either get you into primary schools (as opposed to a primary teaching degree) or be BPS accredited for being a psychologist (although you don't need a psychology degree to become a counsellor).

Also check out this guidance for more info: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6666418

thanks, surely it means i can become either if i do some further education? if by the end of the degree i want to go into psychology i can do a masters or if i want to become a teacher i can do my QTS
Original post by 14t
thanks, surely it means i can become either if i do some further education? if by the end of the degree i want to go into psychology i can do a masters or if i want to become a teacher i can do my QTS

If you're not sure, you would be better off doing a psychology degree and then deciding. You could then do teaching (especially primary, but secondary too) or a masters/doctorate to become a psychologist. Otherwise you would need a conversion course before the masters/doctorate. However, to be a therapist you would just need a masters (although not sure if an education-focused one would be accepted)
Reply 4
If you're not sure, you would be better off doing a psychology degree and then deciding. You could then do teaching (especially primary, but secondary too) or a masters/doctorate to become a psychologist. Otherwise you would need a conversion course before the masters/doctorate. However, to be a therapist you would just need a masters (although not sure if an education-focused one would be accepted)

my therapist did a BA in French and german to be a teacher then a few years later did an into to counselling course + a masters in psychotherapy and counselling so the masters is what’s important. surely this degree with give me both options?
Original post by 14t
my therapist did a BA in French and german to be a teacher then a few years later did an into to counselling course + a masters in psychotherapy and counselling so the masters is what’s important. surely this degree with give me both options?

I hadn't looked into counselling/therapy courses, but there might be some limitations. You would have to check, as there are so many of them. But if you wanted to be a psychologist, you would need the conversion course beforehand too, so an extra step.
Reply 6
I hadn't looked into counselling/therapy courses, but there might be some limitations. You would have to check, as there are so many of them. But if you wanted to be a psychologist, you would need the conversion course beforehand too, so an extra step.

i don’t want to be a psychologist tbh. i’m leaning more to becoming a teacher (so prost grad get a PGCE) and then once i’m older and want more flexibility, do a masters in psychotherapy and counselling and become a therapist. do u think that’s an option witj my degree choose?
Original post by 14t
i don’t want to be a psychologist tbh. i’m leaning more to becoming a teacher (so prost grad get a PGCE) and then once i’m older and want more flexibility, do a masters in psychotherapy and counselling and become a therapist. do u think that’s an option witj my degree choose?

As long as the masters you are interested in don't specify a certain degree, then yes. Although a psychology degree would give you more flexibility

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending