The Student Room Group

Parents separating

People always say when I tell them my parents split up a few months ago they say sorry to hear that and stuff. When I first told my friends they were just like giving
me sympathy but I didn't need anyone feeling sorry for me or nothing. They separated 6 months 7 months ago and moved in with a family member and I moved out but moved back to the original house because it was nearer to places. I'm moving out again when my family get a new house. At first me and my siblings went with my dad we moved out to his brother and my mums brother moved in with her just so she wasn't lonely then I decided to move back as well just because commuting and stuff was nearer. But my family are moving out of my dad's brothers so I'm moving with them but we are just looking for house atm. I got in from a viewing a few days ago and it looks nice I think we are going to go for this one or this other one we just got to sort some financial stuff out. There is downsides to it like my bedroom might be a bit smaller in the new house and my parents just both hate each other like since they separated. It's all worth it though because there was just so many issues before.

Once a bit of time ago I was just telling a friend I think it needs to happen because I actually wanted it to happen but this girl who was my friends friend she butted in the conversation and said im selfish for wanting them to split up. I just feel like I am selfish for actually wanting it to happen.
Original post by Anonymous
People always say when I tell them my parents split up a few months ago they say sorry to hear that and stuff. When I first told my friends they were just like giving
me sympathy but I didn't need anyone feeling sorry for me or nothing. They separated 6 months 7 months ago and moved in with a family member and I moved out but moved back to the original house because it was nearer to places. I'm moving out again when my family get a new house. At first me and my siblings went with my dad we moved out to his brother and my mums brother moved in with her just so she wasn't lonely then I decided to move back as well just because commuting and stuff was nearer. But my family are moving out of my dad's brothers so I'm moving with them but we are just looking for house atm. I got in from a viewing a few days ago and it looks nice I think we are going to go for this one or this other one we just got to sort some financial stuff out. There is downsides to it like my bedroom might be a bit smaller in the new house and my parents just both hate each other like since they separated. It's all worth it though because there was just so many issues before.

Once a bit of time ago I was just telling a friend I think it needs to happen because I actually wanted it to happen but this girl who was my friends friend she butted in the conversation and said im selfish for wanting them to split up. I just feel like I am selfish for actually wanting it to happen.

You haven't forced your parents to split, I don't understand how a child can stop their parents from splitting to be fair. Your parents are Adults they have every right to make a decision to suit them. What's traumatic is having parents under the same roof who are constantly arguing. This you don't think at the time but it does affect the relationships you have in the future.

I'd say your parents have made the decision to separate which is their choice. Accept it. What you need to do now is don't break the relationship with both parents keep it sweet on both sides but you will have to adjust with the new bedroom or living arrangements.

It's important to think about yourself such as commute for education or Work purposes who's house will be easier. Be slightly selfish is what I would say. It's one of those things which is beyond your control housing unless you can financially chip in towards a bigger house..
Reply 2
You haven't forced your parents to split, I don't understand how a child can stop their parents from splitting to be fair. Your parents are Adults they have every right to make a decision to suit them. What's traumatic is having parents under the same roof who are constantly arguing. This you don't think at the time but it does affect the relationships you have in the future.

I'd say your parents have made the decision to separate which is their choice. Accept it. What you need to do now is don't break the relationship with both parents keep it sweet on both sides but you will have to adjust with the new bedroom or living arrangements.

It's important to think about yourself such as commute for education or Work purposes who's house will be easier. Be slightly selfish is what I would say. It's one of those things which is beyond your control housing unless you can financially chip in towards a bigger house..

Yh cheers for the advice

My parents also split up and me & all my siblings live with our mother. Tbh we used to joke about our parents splitting up and we living with one of the parent. It was funny then idky but now we’re here and we complain ab it all. However, my parent’s relationship with each other really had an impact on us and mb we’re the reason they got so distant or mb not. I don’t really have any problem living like this tbh I don’t want my mom to go back to my dad, I have my reasons and alot of them. It’s not just about me not wanting but I see how things might get worse than they already are & in the end I only think, everything happening is for a reason probably.
People will always say that they're sorry to hear something like that because it can be a very upsetting and unsettling situation to be in. It's not that they feel sorry for you, just that they recognise that it can very tough on the children in the middle.

It's fine to feel relieved or even happy when parents split. When you've lived in a strained, unhappy environment it can be a relief when the decision to split is finally made, there's less tension and uncertainty and everyone knows where they stand. It can be good long term as well as I'm sure most people would rather have two happy parents living apart than two parents together but unhappy and stressed.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending