The Student Room Group

I don't understand why the discriminant is used here

I don't understand the answer to the question
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by val7322
I don't understand the answer to the question

For (b) the discriminant tels us information about how many real roots the quadratic has.

discrimant > 0 two real roots; = 0 two equal roots: < 0 no real roots
Reply 2
Original post by Muttley79
For (b) the discriminant tels us information about how many real roots the quadratic has.

discrimant > 0 two real roots; = 0 two equal roots: < 0 no real roots

but its asking for the range of values for a not for the number of roots?
The thing is I don’t understand either. We’re the same bro.
Original post by val7322

You sub the equations together and rearrange which gives you a general equation where a varies.For the graphs to have two points of intersection the general equation found needs to have two roots,thus you use discriminant
Original post by val7322

I thought you wrre asking about part (b)

For (c) put the two equations equal - reaarange into a quadratic then you know the dicriminant must be >0

Do that and post what you get - then we can look at solving the inequality.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by The A.G
You sub the equations together and rearrange which gives you a general equation where a varies.For the graphs to have two points of intersection the general equation found needs to have two roots,thus you use discriminant

but what does a<-7/16 mean
Original post by val7322

It’s the condition that when a is less than -7/16 the graphs will have two points of intersection
Reply 8
Original post by val7322

Consider an easier example if you are confused. Consider the curve y=x2+a y=x^2 + a and the line y=0 y=0 which is of course just the x-axis. You should be able to see that if a>0 then the curve lies completely above the x-axis so there are no points where the graphs intersect. If a=0 then there is a single (repeated) root. If a<0 then there are two distinct points of intersection.
So if someone told you that the curve y=x2+a y=x^2 +a crosses the x-axis at two distinct points then you’d have to have a<0.
This is the same as your example, it’s just a bit more complicated.
Reply 9
Original post by B_9710
Consider an easier example if you are confused. Consider the curve y=x2+a y=x^2 + a and the line y=0 y=0 which is of course just the x-axis. You should be able to see that if a>0 then the curve lies completely above the x-axis so there are no points where the graphs intersect. If a=0 then there is a single (repeated) root. If a<0 then there are two distinct points of intersection.
So if someone told you that the curve y=x2+a y=x^2 +a crosses the x-axis at two distinct points then you’d have to have a<0.
This is the same as your example, it’s just a bit more complicated.

thank you so much, i understand now

Quick Reply