The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

Economics uni choices

I'm thinking of 5 of these 6, 3 i'm sure about (Edinburgh, LSE and UCL) So are they too risky or?

A levels predicted: A*A*A* in bio chem and maths, my school does not offer fm
IGCSE 9988866 in physics, arabic, maths, chemistry, biology, english PE

LSE
UCL
Edinburgh
KCL
Durham
Reply 1
Hi
I would recommend looking into the unis more closely as you don't really have an essay based subject which most unis look for when applying for econ
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Original post by ajay06
Hi
I would recommend looking into the unis more closely as you don't really have an essay based subject which most unis look for when applying for econ

This is incorrect, especially for "top" economics courses they usually focus on whether you have further maths...

Original post by Anonymous
I'm thinking of 5 of these 6, 3 i'm sure about (Edinburgh, LSE and UCL) So are they too risky or?

A levels predicted: A*A*A* in bio chem and maths, my school does not offer fm
IGCSE 9988866 in physics, arabic, maths, chemistry, biology, english PE

LSE
UCL
Edinburgh
KCL
Durham

Lack of FM is an issue for LSE (and maybe a little for UCL) make sure your referee notes in their reference your school doesn't offer it so hopefully it won't be held against you.

KCL is a pretty new and by all accounts rather average economics department. Bristol or Warwick would be much stronger I believe. Nottingham is probably a better choice for that matter...
Reply 3
Original post by artful_lounger
This is incorrect, especially for "top" economics courses they usually focus on whether you have further maths...

Lack of FM is an issue for LSE (and maybe a little for UCL) make sure your referee notes in their reference your school doesn't offer it so hopefully it won't be held against you.

KCL is a pretty new and by all accounts rather average economics department. Bristol or Warwick would be much stronger I believe. Nottingham is probably a better choice for that matter...

Is there anything I can do about the further maths issue?

I thought about replacing KCL however (correct me if i'm wrong, idk much about this matter as i'm not from the UK) 1. I thought it would be a decent 'safe option' + it's in London and within close proximity of many companies hence it would be easier to get internships etc.
Original post by Anonymous
Is there anything I can do about the further maths issue?

I thought about replacing KCL however (correct me if i'm wrong, idk much about this matter as i'm not from the UK) 1. I thought it would be a decent 'safe option' + it's in London and within close proximity of many companies hence it would be easier to get internships etc.

Personally I think Nottingham would be a better "safety" choice as it's got a stronger reputation for economics. I don't think the London location would make as much of a difference.

The FM situation is what it is, as long as your referee explains your school doesn't offer it then they should hopefully not hold that against you. Make sure they do explain this though as if the unis don't know they will probably assume you had it available but didn't take it (it should be explained by your referee, not in your PS).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending