The Student Room Group

A Level Further Maths- FP1 Vector Product

Would the fact this vector has magnitude 5 not change anything and essentially is it asking you to just find the vector product to show its perpendicular to 4i+k and 2j +k or does the magnitude change the calculation.

Screenshot 2021-10-23 at 12.24.34.png
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by liamlarner
Would the fact this vector has magnitude 5 not change anything and essentially is it asking you to just find the vector product to show its perpendicular to 4i+k and 2j +k or does the magnitude change the calculation.

Screenshot 2021-10-23 at 12.24.34.png

I would find the vector perpendicular to those, without considering the magnitude first. Then find the magnitude of this vector and see what you have to multiply/divide the vector by the make the magnitude 5. Not the greatest explanation so lmk if it doesn't make sense :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by user342
I would find the vector perpendicular to those, without considering the magnitude first. Then find the magnitude of this vector and see what you have to multiply/divide the vector by the make the magnitude 5. Not the greatest explanation so lmk if it doesn't make sense :smile:

alright thanks
Reply 3
You are basically just finding 5(4,0,1)×(0,2,1)(4,0,1)×(0,2,1) 5 \frac{(4,0,1) \times (0, \sqrt 2 , 1)}{ ||(4,0,1) \times (0, \sqrt 2 , 1)||} .
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by B_9710
You are basically just finding 5(4,0,1)×(0,2,1)(4,0,1)×(0,2,1) 5 \frac{(4,0,1) \times (0, \sqrt 2 , 1)}{ ||(4,0,1) \times (0, \sqrt 2 , 1)||} .

yeah I've done it now was best by not considering magnitude till later on in the question as the earlier respondent to this thread advised

Quick Reply

Latest