The Student Room Group

What's your reason for wanting to do well in school?

Just type the first thing that springs to mind

Scroll to see replies

serotonin
I’ll go first because I know everyone will say it.

Girls like nerds!

Joke. Moneyz!
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by nikkiblonsky
serotonin

lmao same
bc ive got asian parents
Because my mum expected nothing less than rank #1.
Parental pressure.
Original post by 1secondsofvamps
bc ive got asian parents

Understandable. So is that stereotype about asian parents caring a lot about their child's education sort of true? Sorry if that's racist
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Scienceisgood
I’ll go first because I know everyone will say it.

Girls like nerds!

Joke. Moneyz!

No joke. We actually do
Because with 5 brothers and sisters there was no way my parents were going to be able to finance the life I thought I wanted.
Original post by I'mnotginger
Understandable. So is that stereotype about asian parents caring a lot about their child's education sort of true? Sorry if that's racist

You could say that…
…whatever hyperbole you can come up with that, it isn’t a hyperbole. Just caring to the extreme, you could say
Original post by Nobody2u
Because with 5 brothers and sisters there was no way my parents were going to be able to finance the life I thought I wanted.

Fair enough
Wanting to be successful in life
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by I'mnotginger

To an extent, yes.
Also because asian parents love bragging to family and friends about how well their children are doing, they see it as a competition.
I've legally got to go to school so I might as well make the best of a bad lot, plus you need to at least do halfway well at school to go down the general route I'd like to.
Original post by 0ptics
You could say that…
…whatever hyperbole you can come up with that, it isn’t a hyperbole. Just caring to the extreme, you could say

i agree, 'caring' isnt exactly the right word to describe asian parents...
wanting to not be stopped from doing anything due to lack of qualifications
Wanting to go to university
Reply 18
It's the only thing my mum can be proud of in me
I'm a disappointment child and literally every other kind of success is out of my reach
Reply 19
So my mom can’t call me lazy or stupid

Quick Reply

Latest