The Student Room Group

Online Relationships - the fated thread

The question is: Do online relationships ever work out?

I don't think they could work. The person behind a screen will usually message / behave differently to their 'real-life' self. And if you wanted to meet the 'real-life' person, well that just runs into more problems...

Thoughts?

Scroll to see replies

I should probably elaborate. Friendships work, in fact TSR is a great example where everybody gets on great with each other

But if we're talking about long term (close) relationships, I don't see how that could possibly stem from messaging online, and I'm mainly addressing teens here.

I feel like its very easy to be swayed by a couple of words, but in real-life, it simply doesn't translate the same - does that makes sense...
Original post by ukii
in fact TSR is a great example where everybody gets on great with each other

Ooooh that's incorrect.
Original post by ukii
I should probably elaborate. Friendships work, in fact TSR is a great example where everybody gets on great with each other

But if we're talking about long term (close) relationships, I don't see how that could possibly stem from messaging online, and I'm mainly addressing teens here.

I feel like its very easy to be swayed by a couple of words, but in real-life, it simply doesn't translate the same - does that makes sense...

Agreed. And also because they don’t know each other quite well, it’s hard to really build up the trust.
haha, i actually put (most of the time) in that sentence, but then removed it, because it seemed redundant.
ROTL94 lets nothing get past :animal:
Original post by Anonymous
Agreed. And also because they don’t know each other quite well, it’s hard to really build up the trust.

Yeah, the online kind of only shows one-side. A lot of people are exactly as they seem online (friendly or similar), but for you to get the full picture, a 'real-life' really makes that difference.
I wouldn't necessarily say fades out - they're still there, but i see what you mean, its hard to keep a relationship with someone if you don't know them irl. And I also agree with point 2, you won't really truly know anyone without meeting them.

That raises the question, does anything change once you meet them - surely it must do!
Speaking from a friendship POV, great friendships can stem from TSR and other online message boards.

I would say some of my closest friends who I can confide in daily come from TSR. Obviously I don’t know if all of what they say to me is true, but I’d like to think it is.

I’ve met someone from TSR irl, and they were who they said they were. I don’t think it’s something that should be done without prior thought. It’s a big thing to meet a stranger from the internet.

Good things can stem from the internet, friendships being one. But trust is a major part. Once that is gone, it’s hard to get back.
Original post by ReviseSleeping
Speaking from a friendship POV, great friendships can stem from TSR and other online message boards.

I would say some of my closest friends who I can confide in daily come from TSR. Obviously I don’t know if all of what they say to me is true, but I’d like to think it is.

I’ve met someone from TSR irl, and they were who they said they were. I don’t think it’s something that should be done without prior thought. It’s a big thing to meet a stranger from the internet.

Good things can stem from the internet, friendships being one. But trust is a major part. Once that is gone, it’s hard to get back.

What kind of thing would break your trust? Also its pretty cool you managed to meet someone from TSR. That's pretty unique
Original post by ukii
What kind of thing would break your trust? Also its pretty cool you managed to meet someone from TSR. That's pretty unique

Sharing of personal information. That’s the biggest thing for me.

It is, yeah. I don’t think either of us thought I’d ever do it. And now I’m planning on meeting them again. :lol:

You have to meet the right person though, someone you explicitly trust.
Mine started out online and has progressed. They definitely can work out
Sharing of personal information. That’s the biggest thing for me.

It is, yeah. I don’t think either of us thought I’d ever do it. And now I’m planning on meeting them again. :lol:

You have to meet the right person though, someone you explicitly trust.

That's the only rule breaker for you? Interesting, to be fair
Original post by Smeraldettoi
Mine started out online and has progressed. They definitely can work out

Oh, really - For how long so far?
Original post by ukii
Oh, really - For how long so far?

Since October 2018. So not long but getting there
I think you have to meet the person asap, becusse if you prolong it, it kind of dies out, if you know what I mean. Then again, If both ppl are genuinely into each other, they would also find a way, even if it means waiting a very long time
Original post by Smeraldettoi
Since October 2018. So not long but getting there

That is very very long ago!
Original post by ukii
That's the only rule breaker for you? Interesting, to be fair

I’d say there’s more. But that one is the biggest.
I’d say there’s more. But that one is the biggest.

Yeah I agree. Personal info must be #1 on the red list. Other things are forgivable, but that depends on what they've done, the circumstances... And whether you feel it may happen again, ect
I've never been in one but i don't see it working out because people tend to be more different to what they are from online so if you do meet and you get lucky that it isn't a catfish there would be a small chance their personality is not of a rock
Original post by lunariumxo
I've never been in one but i don't see it working out because people tend to be more different to what they are from online so if you do meet and you get lucky that it isn't a catfish there would be a small chance their personality is not of a rock

Also agreed. Though if im honest it's not too difficult to spot a catfish (usually, becusse if for e.g. it's a random add from Instagram, that's dangerous, but if you've met through some sort of shared forum, like TSR or similar makes it slightly easier. Still always be wary!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending