The Student Room Group

revision

In yr8 and doenst know how to revise I need help I always get bad grades x
Honestly, I wouldn’t focus on revision yet. Just focus on knowing what’s going on in lessons: ask your teacher questions about what you don’t understand, and complete all your homework etc.

Do you have any hobbies/interests?
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by CaptainDuckie
Honestly, I wouldn’t focus on revision yet. Just focus on knowing what’s going on in lessons: ask your teacher questions about what you don’t understand, and complete all your homework etc.

Do you have any hobbies/interests?

i reall like planning things like events/looks x and they keep giving little tests and sending the results home x
Original post by amyyy101
i reall like planning things like events/looks x and they keep giving little tests and sending the results home x

Yeah, just make sure you read for those little tests that you do. Use your textbook, and any homework sheets they give out to you

Do you have any ideas what you want to be when you’re older?
Reply 4
Yeah, just make sure you read for those little tests that you do. Use your textbook, and any homework sheets they give out to you

Do you have any ideas what you want to be when you’re older?

no not rly used 2 wana be a lawyer or orthopedic surgeon but now I don't really care as well as I'm making at least a milly a yr x and I will work hard for it
no not rly used 2 wana be a lawyer or orthopedic surgeon but now I don't really care as well as I'm making at least a milly a yr x and I will work hard for it

You can be anything you put your mind into :smile:

When’s your next test? Do you know when they are and for what subjects?
Reply 6
You can be anything you put your mind into :smile:

When’s your next test? Do you know when they are and for what subjects?

yess so i have every subject test and its all next week
Reply 7
Original post by Funtimes01_
You're Year 8. Revision doesn't really matter until the end of Year 9 and onwards. I did the old syllabus years ago now (nearly 7 years ago I was in Year 9) and none of us worried about revision, until it came to the May 2015 mocks in Year 9, that determined what GCSE Science, French/German/Spanish, Maths and English sets we would go into to (Science and French/German/Spanish it would determine if you did the old higher or foundation for GCSE), Maths and English it determined if we were in the top band for the new English and Maths (Sets 1-3 the kids that were well above average and exceptional at English and Maths), (Sets 4-6 kids that were average or above average at Maths and English) and (Sets 7-10 kids that were below and well below average for Maths and English and required more and substantial learning help to get them through the new September 2015/current syllabus for those subjects), it's most likely different now and it's been nearly half a decade since I left secondary school, so don't know how most schools operate now with 'sets' for 'help' with hard core academic GCSE subjects like those. Year 10 you will do regular mock tests, being exam questions, so they will require you to revise for those to reach your target grade for Year 10 which will be depending on what you got for your Year 9 mocks back in late Year 9. You will probably do proper GCSE summer mocks in Year 10 for all your subjects, so good revision strategies will be key for this point onwards. Then finally Year 11, revision will be critical for you to at least get a 4/pass or above in all of your chosen GCSE subjects. You'll do regular mock exam questions termly probably. Many schools do winter mocks in mid Term 2 for all GCSE subjects in November/December to see that you are reaching your target grades across all subjects. Then come the spring term all schools I believe do mock GCSE exams again to ensure that you will pass once the real exams start in Mid May until the end of June. Consistent revision classes and after school classes ran from March-June in all my GCSE subjects, so that we were prepared come the exams. Your teachers will and should advise you in Year 10 and 11 how to revise, so don't worry about it.

So to summarise, you will need by the end of Year 9 to have an idea of good revision strategies to help you into Year 10 and 11. I don't know about you but a lot of the time writing out revision notes helps, as it's muscle memory also as well as cognitive. Oral revision, I.e. YouTube videos that you can pause and then rewind to repeat, Revision guides, Revision sites such as Mr. Bruff.com for English Language and Literature, it's about whatever you find helps the most my friend. Good luck with everything, but at the moment from Year 7 until the end of the first half of Year 9, revision isn't critical and something you should be worrying about.

thankyou so muchhh .
yess so i have every subject test and its all next week

Tbh I kinda wish I listened more in lesson, so if anything just have fun but make sure you complete your homework/pay attention in lesson

If you want to get very good at these little tests then it won’t hurt to re read through your homework, and practice questions from the text book. Just make sure you don’t burn yourself out before year 9-11
in all honestly revision in year 8 doesn’t really help with GCSE’s bc you haven’t started the course just yet, this doesn’t t mean it’s not important to get good grades in tests as you still learn some very vital information which you build up on during year 9,10,11.

when i was in year 8 i would revise for the end of unit tests or whatever test i had in order to get the good grades i wanted. There’s some useful websites like : maths genie or hegarty maths (these helped me improve math as i used to be terrible at math)
seneca is also great though seneca helped me most during year 10.

honestly i’m just going to tell you to not stress about it, you’ve still got years left, i started gcse revision end of year 10 just before i went into yr11 sometiems i wished i started mid yr ten so i would advise to start during year 10.
have fun at the moment but still focus on the tests you’re teachers give you.
Don't worry about revision yet, you're in year 8 save revision for GCSE and A-levels :smile: but do some light revision though

Quick Reply

Latest