The Student Room Group

Help

So basically I’m lost. I’m doing very well academically but I have also recently found out that I won’t be able to do what I want at university, this made me feel a bit sad which made me start using social media such as Instagram more, for instant gratification. I have also been watch quite a lot of things on Netflix lately which made me feel like life is really boring compared to things that Happen in movies,I know that most movies are fiction but this really opened my eyes as to how boring life is.

I’m also pretty lonely, I do have a lot of friends that I see at least once or twice a week but I go through things alone. I almost feel like I am one of the background character in a movie, the ones you see once or twice and you enjoy their company but don’t really miss them when their gone.

I don’t know what to do anymore, can anyone help?
Original post by Anonymous
So basically I’m lost. I’m doing very well academically but I have also recently found out that I won’t be able to do what I want at university, this made me feel a bit sad which made me start using social media such as Instagram more, for instant gratification. I have also been watch quite a lot of things on Netflix lately which made me feel like life is really boring compared to things that Happen in movies,I know that most movies are fiction but this really opened my eyes as to how boring life is.

I’m also pretty lonely, I do have a lot of friends that I see at least once or twice a week but I go through things alone. I almost feel like I am one of the background character in a movie, the ones you see once or twice and you enjoy their company but don’t really miss them when their gone.

Everyone has something going on for them think about your friends what do you have that they don't ?

A few questions to help you academically :
What subjects do you enjoy ? What jobs do you think of as ' superior ' ? Do you want to work for money or do something you enjoy or because of parent pressure ? What subjects are you good at ?
If you feel people have more interesting lives try something new or watch on sad films to show you have it better then some people

I will try help you more once you have answered the questions
Reply 2
what do you want to do at uni and why can't you? what subjects do you do now? what are your hobbies? do you play any sports?
Same here, dude.
Reply 4
You should find a hobby. I’m going to do my gcses soon and I have found something that I would really like to try out (for me it’s game development) but I don’t have the time for it. I think you should continue watching a few movies for inspiration for interesting stuff to try out. Idk of this will help but maybe ?🤍🤍
Reply 5
Original post by IhaveNothingToDo
Everyone has something going on for them think about your friends what do you have that they don't ?

A few questions to help you academically :
What subjects do you enjoy ? What jobs do you think of as ' superior ' ? Do you want to work for money or do something you enjoy or because of parent pressure ? What subjects are you good at ?
If you feel people have more interesting lives try something new or watch on sad films to show you have it better then some people

I will try help you more once you have answered the questions

Thank you, I enjoy physics and computer science and I think I’m pretty good at both. My hobbies are also within those subjects, I like to ride bikes, watch movies, I try to workout but It can be hard sometimes, I also enjoy just spending time with people. I just feel so empty currently, this has been slowly building up over the past weeks, I feel that this is just because i think that things are boring. Previously I had goals that I was working towards such as getting into a top university, making money, losing weight and gaining muscle, finding love and making my family proud but I slowly started not caring about these anymore. I think my problem is just that I find movies way more fun then real life, and that I might just need some time to find myself, I just don’t know where to start, like whether I should write a plan or a list of things I want or something like that.
Reply 6
Original post by Sasuto
You should find a hobby. I’m going to do my gcses soon and I have found something that I would really like to try out (for me it’s game development) but I don’t have the time for it. I think you should continue watching a few movies for inspiration for interesting stuff to try out. Idk of this will help but maybe ?🤍🤍

Thank you, I just started my a-levels, I have a couple of hobbies, but I’m just getting bored of life.
Reply 7
Original post by Odyson
what do you want to do at uni and why can't you? what subjects do you do now? what are your hobbies? do you play any sports?

Currently I’m doing 4 a-levels ; maths, further maths, physics, computer science. At uni I want to do physics and computer science which got me annoyed as I want to do both of them as two full degrees ( I know i can’t do this) because of this I’m seriously just considering not going to uni at all and just study by myself, as I don’t want to do one without the other I also don’t want to do a dual degree as I feel like I would be missing out on things. This is really annoying as I’ve seen people say that theoretically it is possible to do two degrees at the same time but that it would be very hard. I stop playing sports quite a while ago, mainly because I have no one to do it with.
Reply 8
Currently I’m doing 4 a-levels ; maths, further maths, physics, computer science. At uni I want to do physics and computer science which got me annoyed as I want to do both of them as two full degrees ( I know i can’t do this) because of this I’m seriously just considering not going to uni at all and just study by myself, as I don’t want to do one without the other I also don’t want to do a dual degree as I feel like I would be missing out on things. This is really annoying as I’ve seen people say that theoretically it is possible to do two degrees at the same time but that it would be very hard. I stop playing sports quite a while ago, mainly because I have no one to do it with.

hiya, have you looked into doing a joint honours for compsci and physics?
you still have over a year to decide what you want to study at uni and as your a levels progress you might find you prefer one over the other.
have a look at some unis which offer liberal arts in the first year (like Durham), that might help you decide which on you prefer.
think about what career you want to do in the future and what the best way to achieve that is.

about working out, do you have a gym membership? maybe try some group classes or one on one personal training sessions. Try working out with friends as well, you'll find that you all motivate each other! do you play any team sports?

try to find a weekend job or do some volunteering in your free time as that will help boost your self esteem and earn some money.

write different lists of your goals:
daily goals - eg do a workout, research a uni
weekly goals - eg go to the cinema with a friend, run 10km
monthly goals - eg be able to run 5km without stopping, get over 80% in a test, find a job
yearly goals - earn x amount of money, decide what unis you want to apply to, become happier.

as a way to hold yourself accountable, you could make a diary where every day you write 3 things you did that you're proud of like working out etc. another way (for working out) is to take a before photo of yourself and then every month take a photo in the same position so you can see if you're closer to your goals.

a lot of people are talking about changing their mindset on life, for example, getting up earlier and going on a run straight away every day, going to bed earlier, making your own healthy meals etc.

but these are all about long term permanent changes which are, of course, a lot more helpful than short term ones (such as going on a diet).

talk to your friends and family about your goals and get them to help and encourage you along the way.

a good quote that always helps me is: everything you do now is for your future!

Good luck!!

When i feel like this i just remember my moms love for me
Original post by jacksonsmith1
When i feel like this i just remember my moms love for me

It makes me feel special
Reply 11
How isa life 'boring'? I rather doubt watching netflix of all things has shown you anything of the sort as opposed to your life being boring in which case you need to sort out the problems in your life and why its so dull. Go out with your friends, find some hobbies, go travelling, hell, read a book...

Quick Reply

Latest