The Student Room Group

Questions about Further Maths A-Level

I am hoping to study Law at university, but I am also planning to keep my options open to maybe study Economics. I have already pretty much decided on Maths, English Literature and Economics for the other three, but I am yet to decide the final one, so I am considering Further Maths which I have a few questions about. If you are doing Further Maths or know anyone who is, I would be grateful if you would share your experiences/advice.

1) How does Further Maths differ from Maths GCSE and Maths A-Level?

2) Apparently there is a topics called 'Mechanics' in Further Maths, so is Physics involved in Further Maths, and if so, to how great of an extent?

3) Would adding Further Maths to the other subjects make a good combination?

4) Do you have any advice in general for Further Maths?
Original post by ShadesOfAcademia
I am hoping to study Law at university, but I am also planning to keep my options open to maybe study Economics. I have already pretty much decided on Maths, English Literature and Economics for the other three, but I am yet to decide the final one, so I am considering Further Maths which I have a few questions about. If you are doing Further Maths or know anyone who is, I would be grateful if you would share your experiences/advice.

2) Apparently there is a topics called 'Mechanics' in Further Maths, so is Physics involved in Further Maths, and if so, to how great of an extent?

1) Further maths is pretty algebra heavy but i'd say that's where the similarity between that and gcse maths ends. Some of further maths is like an extension to maths a-level but a fair bit will be completely new content!

2) depends which exam board i think but there are different options to take, mechanics is one of those options. Some schools will decide which modules they teach but some let you choose :smile: It's fairly physics-y but perfectly do-able without taking physics for a-level (speaking from experience!)

3) If you're confident with maths and think you could keep up with 4 subjects then i don't think there's any harm in starting further maths too. Does law have any specific entry requirements?

4) work consistently at it, and ask for help when you need it!
Original post by flaurie
1) Further maths is pretty algebra heavy but i'd say that's where the similarity between that and gcse maths ends. Some of further maths is like an extension to maths a-level but a fair bit will be completely new content!

2) depends which exam board i think but there are different options to take, mechanics is one of those options. Some schools will decide which modules they teach but some let you choose :smile: It's fairly physics-y but perfectly do-able without taking physics for a-level (speaking from experience!)

3) If you're confident with maths and think you could keep up with 4 subjects then i don't think there's any harm in starting further maths too. Does law have any specific entry requirements?

4) work consistently at it, and ask for help when you need it!

Thank you for for sharing the information - it helps a lot!
Original post by flaurie
Does law have any specific entry requirements?

I think for Law you need an essay subject? But I think having English Literature and Economics should be adequate.
Thank you for for sharing the information - it helps a lot!

There is Mechanics in A level maths btw and Statistics ...
A level further maths has a lot of complex numbers stuff, and it's really damn hard. Unless you want to study maths at uni, avoid it I reckon. AS FM is pretty manageable and not too insane, but the A2 content is crazy difficult. It did make me a lot better at normal maths though.
(edited 2 years ago)

1) I would say further maths feels a lot more theoretical/abstract. It's certainly more interesting then maths alevel.
2)As someone else has mentioned, mechanics is an optional module so you can avoid it! It's a lot about forces/momentum/Centre of mass etc, but only a very simple understanding of these concepts is needed to be able to do the math, so yeah you'd be fine without physics
3) Definitely! It keeps your options open to a maths degree, and it is valued by unis because of how difficult it is. I also find it makes normal maths seem a lot easier which is an advantage.
4)In the first year, make sure you fully understand everything. If you only partially understand things, you can make it through year 12 but it will get very very difficult in year 13.
Original post by areallygoodname
1) I would say further maths feels a lot more theoretical/abstract. It's certainly more interesting then maths alevel.
2)As someone else has mentioned, mechanics is an optional module so you can avoid it! It's a lot about forces/momentum/Centre of mass etc, but only a very simple understanding of these concepts is needed to be able to do the math, so yeah you'd be fine without physics
3) Definitely! It keeps your options open to a maths degree, and it is valued by unis because of how difficult it is. I also find it makes normal maths seem a lot easier which is an advantage.
4)In the first year, make sure you fully understand everything. If you only partially understand things, you can make it through year 12 but it will get very very difficult in year 13.

Thank you for your reply with the helpful information :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest