The Student Room Group

Degrees

Hey guys, are degrees hard? And what do you have to do like are there exams after each year or course work, or is it just one massive exam after the last year?

I’m currently in college in the uk and I want to take two full degrees at uni, i know you can’t really do this because it would be too hard but I’ve also seen some people say that it would still be possible.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Matcccc
Hey guys, are degrees hard? And what do you have to do like are there exams after each year or course work, or is it just one massive exam after the last year?

I’m currently in college in the uk and I want to take two full degrees at uni, i know you can’t really do this because it would be too hard but I’ve also seen some people say that it would still be possible.

You can't study two degrees at once - assessment varies betweeb different unis and different courses.
Original post by Matcccc

Have you considered a joint honours?

You categorically will not be able to study for two undergraduate degrees at once.
If they were easy what would be the point in doing one.
Reply 4
Original post by dbhc2411
Have you considered a joint honours?

You categorically will not be able to study for two undergraduate degrees at once.

I know you can’t study two, and I have considered a joint honours but I feel like I would be missing out on key learning from the course and that’s why I don’t want to do it. Honestly I’m just considering not going to uni at all a teaching myself the two subject independently.
Original post by Matcccc
I know you can’t study two, and I have considered a joint honours but I feel like I would be missing out on key learning from the course and that’s why I don’t want to do it. Honestly I’m just considering not going to uni at all a teaching myself the two subject independently.

Or you could just study one degree…instead of missing out key learning entirely…

What are your two subjects you so adamantly want to study at the same time?
Reply 6
Original post by GabiAbi84
Or you could just study one degree…instead of missing out key learning entirely…

What are your two subjects you so adamantly want to study at the same time?

Physics and computer science
Original post by Matcccc

You think you can teach yourself physics at home?
Original post by Matcccc

And why can’t you choose between them?
Reply 9
Original post by summerbirdreads
You think you can teach yourself physics at home?

Yeah that’s probably my plan
Reply 10
Original post by GabiAbi84
And why can’t you choose between them?

Because I enjoy computer science a bit more, but on the other hand computer science can easily be learned by yourself. I’m currently just really lost :frown:
Original post by Matcccc
Yeah that’s probably my plan

haha you must be really smart then
Reply 12
haha you must be really smart then

Possibly and that’s why Im so keen on doing two degrees
Original post by Matcccc

Why not go to Oxbridge/Imperial and do one degree? or go to MIT if you're that smart
Original post by Matcccc
Because I enjoy computer science a bit more, but on the other hand computer science can easily be learned by yourself. I’m currently just really lost :frown:

Plenty of computer science and Physics degrees out there. Why would you rather not study them at all than do one of them?
Original post by Matcccc

So do one and then do another afterwards. Plenty of people study two degrees, you just can’t do two at the same time.
Reply 17
Why not go to Oxbridge/Imperial and do one degree? or go to MIT if you're that smart

Yeah my original goal was to go to MIT, I’m already in a Oxbridge program
Original post by Matcccc

I've read some of your other posts and I'd agree you seem a bit lost. I think you should go to some open days and explore your options in those departments to get a feel for what you want to do.

Do not underestimate the difficulty of a degree in addition to the huge amount of life changes you'll be experiencing. Do one degree, and then if you're so adamant to study another, then you can do so I guess?
Original post by Matcccc
Yeah my original goal was to go to MIT, I’m already in a Oxbridge program

Oxbridge programme? as in undergrad? huh

Quick Reply

Latest