The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by sadschoolgirlx
any advice? how do i tell my parents?

you could start by saying your interested in finding out more about god and you've researched different religions , and dont mention islam straight away till you get their reaction to that . then tailor what you say next to their reaction maybe?
(edited 2 years ago)
You don't need to tell your parents about all your hobbies and reading material. :smile:
If you want to study the religion, religious text or history connected to the religion- there are plenty of library & offline resources.

But do remember that almost all ancient religion also includes unpleasant events in their history and controversial quotes.
Most centuries old book of religious scripture content were directed at the poulation of a society very different from the Britain of 2021 and do include vicious quotes or aggressive solicitations that would not be acceptable to say in a public place today.
The same applies to the old testament, new testament, medieval era papal speeches, the hindu manu code, scientologist writings by the founder and many other religious texts.
I feel you should first explore the religion more in-depth I would suggest getting the English translation of the Quran and reading that watching some Mercifulservant on Youtube they have like playlists on different topics that are really interesting to watch and listen to. Just make sure to be careful what sites you go on as some are false or may be preaching things that may not be correct. Only after you feel like you know a lot then maybe tell them so they know your like serious and that you have actually done research on it.
Hope this helps :smile:
Original post by londonmyst
You don't need to tell your parents about all your hobbies and reading material. :smile:
If you want to study the religion, religious text or history connected to the religion- there are plenty of library & offline resources.

But do remember that almost all ancient religion also includes unpleasant events in their history and controversial quotes.
Most centuries old book of religious scripture content were directed at the poulation of a society very different from the Britain of 2021 and do include vicious quotes or aggressive solicitations that would not be acceptable to say in a public place today.
The same applies to the old testament, new testament, medieval era papal speeches, the hindu manu code, scientologist writings by the founder and many other religious texts.

ahh islam is quite different. the scripture sent to the population of the older times are still very relevant to todays society. if anything the science and discipline is relevant to todays society even more!
(edited 2 years ago)

As an ex-muslim, I recommend that you research more into Islam, as it has many darksides to it.
But out of respect to your choices, I recommend you ease your parents into it. Start asking them questions about religion in general, maybe over the course of a week, then do some research on all religions via the internet and books. Maybe you'll find a religion you identify with more, maybe you won't, idk. If you're still interested in changing religions, then go to your parent's, sit them down, and tell them of your choice.
Original post by TheSA04
As an ex-muslim, I recommend that you research more into Islam, as it has many darksides to it.
But out of respect to your choices, I recommend you ease your parents into it. Start asking them questions about religion in general, maybe over the course of a week, then do some research on all religions via the internet and books. Maybe you'll find a religion you identify with more, maybe you won't, idk. If you're still interested in changing religions, then go to your parent's, sit them down, and tell them of your choice.

i have been researching since may and i feel like islam is for me ...thanks my mum was also an ex muslim
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by samisasam
I feel you should first explore the religion more in-depth I would suggest getting the English translation of the Quran and reading that watching some Mercifulservant on Youtube they have like playlists on different topics that are really interesting to watch and listen to. Just make sure to be careful what sites you go on as some are false or may be preaching things that may not be correct. Only after you feel like you know a lot then maybe tell them so they know your like serious and that you have actually done research on it.
Hope this helps :smile:

i have been researching since may , i recently got books about islam .i was thinking of getting a english translated quran, its funny because someone recommened watching that channel today :0 i guess its really good...
i have been researching since may , i recently got books about islam .i was thinking of getting a english translated quran, its funny because someone recommened watching that channel today :0 i guess its really good...

Maybe don’t tell them until you have faith or believe slightly strongly, so that you don’t get discouraged by your parents before converting, if it gets to that stage
Original post by Jaaferrrr!!!
Maybe don’t tell them until you have faith or believe slightly strongly, so that you don’t get discouraged by your parents before converting, if it gets to that stage

what do you mean about having faith because when i started first researching i wanted to take my shahada like literally that the second like everyday i woke up i wanted to be muslim but i dont feel that eager... but its something i wanna do

I don't know how you tell your parents. You may not have to after all. Why are you interested in Islam?
What is particularly attractive about it?
As an ex muslim, I can assure you that it’s not all sunshine and rainbows. However, if you feel like Islam (not to confuse this term with Muslims) is compatible with your standards then by all means go ahead, but I would suggest getting an English translation of the Quran to learn more. Either way, best of luck!
Original post by Lucifer323
I don't know how you tell your parents. You may not have to after all. Why are you interested in Islam?
What is particularly attractive about it?

it all made sense to me , like why women cover up , why free mixing isn't allowed, why Zina is forbidden and marriages, people say that islam is oppressive to woman but it actually gave them rights and dignity. i just fell in love when i started researching about it
?

This sounds like you're deferring them :smile:

You should respect someone's decision. If it was another religion, the same respect must be shown.
it all made sense to me , like why women cover up , why free mixing isn't allowed, why Zina is forbidden and marriages, people say that islam is oppressive to woman but it actually gave them rights and dignity. i just fell in love when i started researching about it

To be honest I never understood why women cover up, why mixing isn't allowed or why Zina is regarded as a crime.

There is an app called quran majeed which allows English translation of Quran
?

I don't know ~ your language suggests this. I won't give you an analysis, but you know it better than i do. All I'm saying is, please remain respectful. That's all
Original post by 0ptics
As an ex muslim, I can assure you that it’s not all sunshine and rainbows. However, if you feel like Islam (not to confuse this term with Muslims) is compatible with your standards then by all means go ahead, but I would suggest getting an English translation of the Quran to learn more. Either way, best of luck!

thanks i will do
L

What part of my text is disrespectful??

This thread wasn't made for arguments, its for advice, so I won't discuss that here.

If you're really intrigued, you can PM me :smile:
Original post by ukii
This thread wasn't made for arguments, its for advice, so I won't discuss that here.

If you're really intrigued, you can PM me :smile:

I think it's only fair you explain yourself having been directly asked? :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending