The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

Economics Help. Urgent!

For Economics..what would you suggest? Manchester/Exeter/Loughborough/Sheffield/Leeds?
(Considering that I do not have Maths, I am an international student and Manchester has a fee difference of nearly 4-5k for international

Scroll to see replies

Original post by AnuSin88
For Economics..what would you suggest? Manchester/Exeter/Loughborough/Sheffield/Leeds?
(Considering that I do not have Maths, I am an international student and Manchester has a fee difference of nearly 4-5k for international

Hi!
I would suggest contacting each of the uni's about their entry requirements. From looking at the courses, many of them do require maths; however, this may be slightly different for an international student. Try contacting the admissions team at each university, explain your situation and ask what they require from an international student.
Manchester email: [email protected]
Exeter enquiries: https://www.exeter.ac.uk/enquiry/
Loughborough: [email protected]
Sheffield: [email protected]
Leeds: [email protected]
Hope this helps!
Michaela - UoP Rep :smile:
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Reply 2
Original post by University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Hi!
I would suggest contacting each of the uni's about their entry requirements. From looking at the courses, many of them do require maths; however, this may be slightly different for an international student. Try contacting the admissions team at each university, explain your situation and ask what they require from an international student.
Manchester email: [email protected]
Exeter enquiries: https://www.exeter.ac.uk/enquiry/
Loughborough: [email protected]
Sheffield: [email protected]
Leeds: [email protected]
Hope this helps!
Michaela - UoP Rep :smile:

Hey, thank you so much for the response. I have already checked the requirements, these unis do not require maths. Hence my question…which one among these should I go for from placement perspective?
Hey, thank you so much for the response. I have already checked the requirements, these unis do not require maths. Hence my question…which one among these should I go for from placement perspective?

Hi! @AnuSin88

I would contact each of these universities and ask about their placement prospects. What they offer? How many of the students go on and work for their placement companies? You need to do your own research as your decision will be subjective to you.

I hope this helps!
Best wishes
Chloe - Official Student Rep :smile:
Exactly. Do your own research and find the university which suits you best. Do you like the city environment, or are you more of a quiet area person. These are the questions you should be asking yourself
Are those the only options? I think generally the strongest economics department not requiring A-level Maths is Nottingham, so would recommend considering that if you are able to.

Note though that all economics degrees are necessarily mathematical so you need to be prepared for that aspect of the course (whether it requires maths at the outset or not).
I did economics at Loughborough a long time ago. Even though I'd done GCSE maths early and had no problems with the subject at that level,I didn't have maths "A"level. The course was doable without it, but certain compulsory modules like econometrics required a lot more effort on my behalf compared to my coursemates with more maths practice.
Reply 7
Original post by University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Hi! @AnuSin88

I would contact each of these universities and ask about their placement prospects. What they offer? How many of the students go on and work for their placement companies? You need to do your own research as your decision will be subjective to you.

I hope this helps!
Best wishes
Chloe - Official Student Rep :smile:

I didn’t mean it like that. I know that universities and courses are what you make of them. It is simply that some Unis provide you better standing. That’s it. Since I am an international student, the cost for me double or triple in some cases, hence my concern with better placement opportunities. I am sorry if I have gotten on the wrong foot.
Thank you for the response.
Reply 8
Original post by artful_lounger
Are those the only options? I think generally the strongest economics department not requiring A-level Maths is Nottingham, so would recommend considering that if you are able to.

Note though that all economics degrees are necessarily mathematical so you need to be prepared for that aspect of the course (whether it requires maths at the outset or not).

Nottingham required A in Maths at GCSE level. I had a B. I do have predicted grade at A* for Econ in my A Levels (Standard 12th in my case). Do you think I have a chance with that?
(edited 2 years ago)
Nottingham required A in Maths at GCSE level. I had a B. I do have predicted grade at A* for Econ in my A Levels (Standard 12th in my case). Do you think I have a chance with that?

Exeter is stronger anyway than Nottingham

Avoid Manchester - it's not worth the extra.

What sort of place are you looking to live in? Loughborough is very different to Leeds.
Reply 10
Original post by Muttley79
Exeter is stronger anyway than Nottingham

Avoid Manchester - it's not worth the extra.

What sort of place are you looking to live in? Loughborough is very different to Leeds.

I would prefer quieter smaller place than a big bustling city. Also, the fee difference between the colleges and the placement opportunities that they can provide is an important factor as I am not from UK.
(edited 2 years ago)
I would prefer quieter smaller place than a big bustling city. Also, the fee difference between the colleges and the placement opportunities that they can provide is an important factor as I am not from UK.

OK then Manchester is a big city, Leeds also quite big and Sheffield too - the quieter places would be Exeter and Loughborough.

Both of these are good options.

I mean, I think something you need to ask yourself is if you got a B in GCSE maths and didn't continue it, do you think you will be able to cope with and learn the maths for an economics degree?

You may want to think carefully about whether you would be better off doign a degree in a subject that okays to your strengths more - bear in mind that degree level economics as noted is very mathematical and rather unlike the more essay based style of A-level economics.
Reply 13
Original post by Muttley79
OK then Manchester is a big city, Leeds also quite big and Sheffield too - the quieter places would be Exeter and Loughborough.

Both of these are good options.

Okay. I think I will go with Loughborough!
Reply 14
I mean, I think something you need to ask yourself is if you got a B in GCSE maths and didn't continue it, do you think you will be able to cope with and learn the maths for an economics degree?

You may want to think carefully about whether you would be better off doign a degree in a subject that okays to your strengths more - bear in mind that degree level economics as noted is very mathematical and rather unlike the more essay based style of A-level economics.

You are right. I will go with a combination of Politics and Economics and look at the modules if it requires a lot Maths!
You are right. I will go with a combination of Politics and Economics and look at the modules if it requires a lot Maths!

If you are interested in politics you might be interested in the political economy course at KCL which I believe is not so mathematical and does not require maths.
If you are interested in politics you might be interested in the political economy course at KCL which I believe is not so mathematical and does not require maths.

They don't want a big busy place and London is just that!
Okay. I think I will go with Loughborough!

Exeter is a 'better' university of the two ....
Reply 18

I would surely look into it asap!
I would surely look into it asap!

Another suggestion for you to consider if you like quieter smaller places is Lancaster uni who do a course in Economics, Politics and International relations and only require Maths at GCSE grade B. They have a very good business school

https://www.lancaster.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/economics-politics-and-international-relations-ba-hons-ll22/#course-entry

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending